Question about strep culture and timing.

Old May 12th 04, 11:38 AM
melizabeth

Default Question about strep culture and timing.

I am almost 33 weeks and won't have my next appointment until 37 weeks,
which is when I will be swabbed for the strep culture.

What happens *if* I go into labor prior to my 37 week OBGYN appointment and
I haven't had this done?

--
M~Elizabeth

To thine own self be true

Old May 12th 04, 12:49 PM
Ericka Kammerer

melizabeth wrote:

I am almost 33 weeks and won't have my next appointment until 37 weeks,
which is when I will be swabbed for the strep culture.

What happens *if* I go into labor prior to my 37 week OBGYN appointment and
I haven't had this done?

If you go into labor before 37 weeks, then you'll
be having preterm labor. Given unknown GBS status, they
will probably go with risk based treatment, which would
mean they'd give you antibiotics in labor because preterm
labor is a risk factor for GBS.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old May 12th 04, 03:19 PM
Welches

melizabeth wrote in message
I am almost 33 weeks and won't have my next appointment until 37 weeks,
which is when I will be swabbed for the strep culture.

What happens *if* I go into labor prior to my 37 week OBGYN appointment

and
I haven't had this done?

In UK they don't do step cultures so I imagine you'll be fine.
Debbie

Old May 13th 04, 01:47 PM
melizabeth

Tried to post my thank you earlier, but it didn't show up.

So, thanks again

Although I am in the UK, I am with the military, so am receiving care from
the US base. I didn't know that the UK didn't do strep cultures, though. I
learn something new here everyday.

--
M~Elizabeth

To thine own self be true

Old May 13th 04, 03:58 PM
Welches

melizabeth wrote in message
Tried to post my thank you earlier, but it didn't show up.

So, thanks again

Although I am in the UK, I am with the military, so am receiving care from
the US base. I didn't know that the UK didn't do strep cultures, though.

learn something new here everyday.

I think there's much more testing generally in US than UK from what I can
tell. I suspect, though don't know, that some of the tests done in US are to
minimise risk, and hence reduce compensation claims. UK'll probably go the
same way.

Where are you based? (don't have to answer that if you don't want to!)
Debbie