Does anyone put newborns in a lie-flat "From Birth" pushchair?

Old October 25th 03, 11:39 AM
DP

Default Does anyone put newborns in a lie-flat "From Birth" pushchair?

I'm trying to figure out which carseat/pushchair/travel-system to buy
in advance of our first arrival, and I'm wondering whether anyone puts
their baby straight into a lie-flat "suitable from birth" pushchair,
without a carrycot/carseat/TravelSystem-thing. Do they hold the baby
securely enough?

Where I'm up to in my search:

I know I need a carseat, and I know only a fold-smallish pushchair
will fit in our car.

I could get a travel system (e.g .Graco Mirage TS), which would be
useful for moving the baby from car to/from pushchair without removing
it from the carseat/carrycot-thing; and having the TS-carrycot
attached to the pushcair is handy, since it'll be rear-facing;

Or I could get a "suitable from birth" pushchair that reclines flat
(e.g. Graco Mirage pushchair), and get a separate, non-compatible
car-seat-with-a-carry-handle that doubles as a carrier.
I realise that the disadvantages of this are that the baby will have
to be removed from the carseat/carrier and placed into the push chair,
and that the baby will be forward facing.

but is it even feasible/sensible to put newborns straight into these
forward-facing lie-flat pushchairs ? (with plenty of blankets/fleece -
it's due in February in the UK) - or will it get chucked around too
much ?

Many thanks
Old October 25th 03, 01:21 PM
lee woollett

Hi, i had my little girl last october and i had a lie flat from birth gracco
pram adn she was absolutely fine, didnt have any problems at all with her.
regarding the car seat we had a seperate one to the buggy becasue if they
are constantky in the seat when out then it isn't very good for their back,
so im told, i followed thios advice as i didnt want her to have any back
problems, i know a lot of people will probably disagree with me, but this is
my opinion and how we did it. i do understand people not wanting to wake the
baby when moving it tho so at the end of the day i would say see what suits
you and go from there.

Hope this helps a little bit

jen & kira (who will be1 on wednesday
om...

Old October 25th 03, 02:41 PM
Penny Gaines

DP wrote in :

[snip]
I could get a travel system (e.g .Graco Mirage TS), which would be
useful for moving the baby from car to/from pushchair without removing
it from the carseat/carrycot-thing; and having the TS-carrycot
attached to the pushcair is handy, since it'll be rear-facing;

Some physiotherapists etc advise against the type of travel system
where you can move the baby from house to car to pushchair to car
to house, without taking it out of the travel system: the reasoning
being that babies (and everyone else) have to move their limbs to keep
their muscles and lymphatic system working properly. Keeping a baby
in one thing is the equivalent of putting it on bed-rest.

My kids were born before this kind of travel system became common, and
I didn't have problems with moving a sleeping baby from eg pushchair
to car seat.

Or I could get a "suitable from birth" pushchair that reclines flat
(e.g. Graco Mirage pushchair), and get a separate, non-compatible
car-seat-with-a-carry-handle that doubles as a carrier.
I realise that the disadvantages of this are that the baby will have
to be removed from the carseat/carrier and placed into the push chair,
and that the baby will be forward facing.

but is it even feasible/sensible to put newborns straight into these
forward-facing lie-flat pushchairs ? (with plenty of blankets/fleece -
it's due in February in the UK) - or will it get chucked around too
much ?

I had this sort of system for my second two kids (the first had a proper
carrytot/pram). The one I had had a five-point harness, so the baby
was fairly securely in place. The biggest problem was that it is hard
to keep blankets round them, because there is nothing to keep the blanket
in place. But then that would be true if it was a car seat, wouldn't it?
OTOH, they were summer babies, so they were moving themselves round in
winter: a newborn tends to stay stiller.

I didn't find having the baby facing away from me to be a problem: if
we were out, there was plenty towatch, and they didn't need to see me.

--
Penny Gaines
Old October 25th 03, 03:58 PM
Ericka Kammerer

DP wrote:

but is it even feasible/sensible to put newborns straight into these
forward-facing lie-flat pushchairs ? (with plenty of blankets/fleece -
it's due in February in the UK) - or will it get chucked around too
much ?

Many people use the travel systems from birth, and
they often say they really like that they don't have to
move a sleeping baby from the carseat to the stroller.
I, however, am in a different camp. I have always left
the carseat in the car and have used a stroller where the
baby can lie flat (we have an older Emmaljunga with a
bassinet attachment, so it looks like a pram). Personally,
I *love* it. My babies have all slept so well in it.
It's been a delight to use for shopping or going out to
restaurants or whatever--baby sleeps much of the time.
They have always looked so comfortable. With our stroller,
the bassinet can be positioned so that the baby faces
forwards or backwards. So personally, *I* would say that
it is *quite* feasible *and* sensible to put babies
straight into a stroller that allows them to lie flat.
Do you really have to go with a forward-facing only
stroller, though? In my experience (US based), most of
the strollers that recline well enough to allow the
baby to lie nearly flat have handles that can swap
from side to side so that the baby can be forward *or*
rear facing.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old October 25th 03, 05:23 PM
Alison Tooth

Penny Gaines wrote:

I had this sort of system for my second two kids (the first had a proper
carrytot/pram). The one I had had a five-point harness, so the baby
was fairly securely in place. The biggest problem was that it is hard
to keep blankets round them, because there is nothing to keep the blanket
in place.

You can buy (or make) all sorts of cosytoes though You can get the
ones which match the buggy, or there are some excellent UK WAHM-made
ones around.

~~~~~~
Alison

Old October 25th 03, 07:16 PM
All4meUC

I have one of these travel systems for my two month son. In the first weeks
when he was very sleepy and difficult to wake from a deep sleep I would always
remove him from the carseat carrier. I found this to be much easier on my back
and if by chance he woke up while we were in the store he was much less
disturbed to be in Mommy's arms rather than the carrier.

I have to say that we went through a time when the carseat was a source of much
anxiety for my baby. As soon as I set him in there he would begin to scream,
and if he had been asleep at the time, would immediately wake up. This of
course made traveling anywhere difficult. I would often get 5 mins down the
road, pull over, take him out of the seat to calm the crying, sometimes he
would get so hysterical that he would break into a sweat and required nursing
to settle. With time this seemed to help. Now, only a few short weeks later, he
is traveling much better! If he's sleeping when we arrive I do leave him in the
seat most of the time and just detach it from the base.

I found that my son could be put in the seat and buckled up and then walked
around a few minutes to calm his crying. Then by the time we got to the car he
was much more relaxed than if I had to maneuver him into the seat from the back
of the car. Very convenient in bad weather... just slip the seat into its base
(already secured in the car) and off we go.
~Tracy
Old October 25th 03, 08:34 PM
Claire

Both of my babies (ten years apart) have used pushchairs that face both ways
and used a wedge to make them as flat as possible for newborns (Silver Cross
wayfarers) and they looked very comfortable- the first one had a carrycot
too but we mostly used it for sleeping at home until he went into the cot.
They both had separate car seats (not part of a travel system) and I can't
say that disturbing them to put into the car or take out of the car seat was
ever really a problem. Newborns can sleep very soundly and also when woken
up when moved from pushchair to carseat usually fell asleep again quickly.
From car seat to pushchair was usually more entertaining for them and gave
them some fresh air and excitement when shopping which wore them out for
later (always to be encouraged). I have a very small boot and am about to
fit a Twin Aria Mamas and Papas into it (next baby due one year two months
after the last) which means that for the first time the new one will be
forward facing - use plenty of blankets or a cosy-toes thing and a woolly
hat- use the raincover if cold and wet, they should be fine.

Claire

om...

Old October 25th 03, 09:48 PM
Herself

DP wrote:

but is it even feasible/sensible to put newborns straight into these
forward-facing lie-flat pushchairs ? (with plenty of blankets/fleece -
it's due in February in the UK) - or will it get chucked around too
much ?

We got a Graco baby bucket (the car seat with the handle) and a
Mothercare Rhumba pushchair. The Rhumba was from 6 months, but we used
it from birth (he would take his naps in it downstairs). There were
only a few times that we were cursing the non-compatibility, ie using
the carseat on airplanes and late night coming back from somewhere and
we woke him up. But he got used to sleeping through all that.
--
'Tis Herself
Old October 26th 03, 05:14 PM

In misc.kids DP wrote:
[...]

We use a Maclaren stroller that lies flat. It has a 5 pt harness and holds
the baby well. We've been using it since he was probably 4 or 5 weeks old.
He likes it well enough, but I usually prefer to carry him in his infant
carrier (Baby Bjorn). One thing that I've noticed when I carry him in the
Bjorn or push him in his stroller - everyone stops and talks to him and
notices how alert he is and how he's looking around at everything. I think
the infant carrier that snaps straight into the stroller sort of hides the
baby away from the world. My little guy loves looking at everything when
we go some place (11 weeks). Of course, when he is sleepy, he sleeps like
a log in his stroller so it must be comfy for that as well.

Manda