pestilence and public places

Old November 19th 03, 06:11 PM
Marie

Default pestilence and public places

Ever since the kidlets came home from the hospital, they and I have found
that we *really* cope better with each other if we get out of the house and
wander public places like shopping malls. I don't think a weekday goes by
that we aren't somewhere window shopping and, since the kidlets are twins,
we do attract a lot of attention: most people I find are really good about
not touching them or sticking their faces too close to the babes'.

My mom was visiting yesterday, and expressed grave concerns about this habit
now that cold and flu season is upon us. She thinks I'm exposing the boys
to too many germs.

The boys are up to date with their standard vaccinations. In addition, they
are receiving Menugate and Prevnar. And because they were preemies, they
are also receiving the RSV vaccine.

How much of a danger are the kids in by going out?

Should we get them flu shots (our doctor is willing but not pushing one way
or the other)?

TIA

Marie
Chris and Alex--born 04/23/03 at 31wks gestational :-)
Meet the Kidlets at http://ca.f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/mmcw2

Old November 19th 03, 07:12 PM

Goodness, Marie, whatever you do -- on this one, PLEASE don't listen to
your mom! Keep taking your sons out and about, going for walks, etc. --
there are just *so many* reasons to do this, and so few valid ones for
keeping them home to protect them.

IME, yes, your sons will get colds -- but that's going to happen anyway.
Presumably, you'll have to take them to doctor's appointments, grocery
shopping, religious services, or whatever *you* regularly leave the
house for at least sometimes. Even if you *could* keep them home
constantly, you can't keep yourself, your partner, your friends and
family, and every other person who might visit your home from ever going
out in public and being exposed to germs. And aside from being
preemies, it doesn't sound like your sons currently have any health
problems that might warrant being on the paranoid side about germs.
(For example, I know 2 or 3 families in which a child has chronic
respiratory problems -- and they don't keep their kids at home
constantly, but as the same cold that keeps my DD home for a day or 2
tops might knock their children out for a week, I understand that
they're a bit more vigilant about germs than I am.) So honestly, I
think the reasonable precautions it sounds like you're already taking
(not letting strangers, especially if they seem to be coughing or
sniffling, get right up in the babies' faces; presumably not letting
your sons wriggle around on the bare floor of the supermarket or
shopping mall) are more than enough.

On the flip side, there are about a zillion good reasons to take your
sons out in public as often as you can. Not the least of which is your
state of mind -- I know when my DD was a baby and I was home with her,
we had a regular routine of excursions (grocery shopping on Monday, the
library on Tuesday, long walk in the park on Wednesday, etc.) that saved
my sanity, because I knew *I* had that change of scenery and dose of
adult contact to look forward to. I also think babies learn more/
better this way -- heck, if I think staying home is boring, they
probably do, too, so odds are they'll enjoy the different sights and
sounds and smells of (to us) ordinary places like the grocery store or
the mall.

As a funny aside, though, it may be possible for them to enjoy it *too*
much. Once, when DD was about 9 months old, I was grocery shopping, and
had her in a baby backpack, so I could hear and talk with her, but not
actually see her. As she wanted to grab and touch everything I picked
up to show her/ buy, if not everything in the store, I finally hit upon
something that wasn't toxic (e.g., scouring powder), dangerous if
dropped (heavy cans or bottles), or just plain messy (e.g., ripe
tomatoes) -- a lemon. So, I showed her the lemon, squeezed it just a
bit to let her smell it, and gave it to her to hold. Well ... I didn't
realize till about 15 minutes later, when I got to the checkout, that
she'd taken a BIG bite out of that nub of rind at the end, and was
happily chewing on the rind/ sucking on the lemon. (And yes, she loves
sour foods to this day.)

-HB

Old November 19th 03, 07:50 PM
Sophie

Your mom sounds like my sister. When she had her son she stayed home for the
first 6 weeks - did not go out at all. I can't imagine doing that
personally.

I say keep going out. I know my kids eat and sleep better when they've been
out. Jsut the fresh air alone is good for them. Sure there are germs but
ya know, just be sensible. You're hardly going to let people cough all over
the babies.

Sophie
#4 due 7/18/04

Old November 19th 03, 09:48 PM
Stephanie and Tim

"Marie" wrote in message
able.rogers.com...
[...]

A good deal less than the danger they would be in if you went nuts from
staying home every day.

Should we get them flu shots (our doctor is willing but not pushing one

way
or the other)?

I have no opinion about this, but the whole germ freak out is way over blown
IMO.

Old November 19th 03, 10:19 PM
Welches

Marie wrote in message
able.rogers.com...
[...]

Most people are good about not going close if they've a cold. If you're
feeding them then they shouldn't be in much danger at all.
Should we get them flu shots (our doctor is willing but not pushing one

way
or the other)?

Don't bother really. Apparently the latest flu jab protects against one sort
of flu-but not the owrst sort going round. Anyway flu mutates so quickly
that even if it stops them from getting it from one person there's a
reasonable chance they'll get a slightly mutated version from another.

Go out. Don't worry. It's much easier when you're out, and they'll enjoy it.
You'll all benefit from the fresh air too.
Debbie

Old November 20th 03, 05:43 AM
Kathy Cole

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 17:11:23 GMT, "Marie" wrote:

My mom was visiting yesterday, and expressed grave concerns about this
habit now that cold and flu season is upon us. She thinks I'm exposing
the boys to too many germs.

I wouldn't take mom's word for that.

The boys are up to date with their standard vaccinations. In addition,
they are receiving Menugate and Prevnar. And because they were
preemies, they are also receiving the RSV vaccine.

Is Menugate the meningitis C vaccine? That one's not recommended for
routine administration here.

How much of a danger are the kids in by going out?

Not that much more than another kid of their size.

Should we get them flu shots (our doctor is willing but not pushing one
way or the other)?

I would get them flu shots (we also had prevnar and synagis for my
youngest, in addition to flu), and maintain your current routine except
when your or the kids are ill, or if your doctor recommends strongly
against it with what seem to be reasonable arguments.
Old November 20th 03, 02:18 PM
Karen

How much of a danger are the kids in by going out?

Should we get them flu shots (our doctor is willing but not pushing one way
or the other)?

Sure, they may may pick something up on one of your excursions, so may
you. You may catch something if you are out without them and bring it
home, your SO may bring something home from work. People get sick.
Wash your hands and use common sense and enjoy your trips to the mall.
Karen