nanny pay ,benefits, and hours

Old December 5th 03, 02:42 AM

Default nanny pay ,benefits, and hours

hi everyone,

i am thinking about hiring a live-in nanny in the metrowest section of
boston.
i am wondering what is typical of the pay, benefits,and hours that the
nanny will work. i would like to hire someone that has had some
nannying experience and/or some preschool experience.

any advice from both parents and nannies will be appreciated.

thanks,
gigi
Old December 5th 03, 01:22 PM
Beth Kevles

Hi -

I live in metro-DC, which isn't too far different in style from Boston
(although pay scales may be different).

We had a nanny for 4 years, altogether.

We elected to pay the legal way, so witheld state and federal taxes and
social security. We also payed OUR share of the SS taxes and
unemployment taxes. Our nanny grossed $10/hour, which is a bit on the
low side for our area, but since we were paying the extra taxes it
worked out. (You can pay more if you do it on a strictly cash basis,
but it's not legal and ultimately not fair, either, since the nanny
doesn't get into the social security system that way.)

We also paid for a health plan, starting in the 2nd year when we
realized that she had no other coverage.

OUr nanny was live-out. We never paid for days not worked (ie, sick
days) but did pay for a 1-week vacation at a time of our, not her,
choosing.

Our nanny worked from 8-5:30, five days a week.

Our nanny was responsible for the children, their rooms, the laundry and
the kitchen/family room area.

Our nanny had twins of her own (who had just entered preschool when she
started) and had 5 years experience in a daycare. But she didn't drive
and was able to cook nothing more challenging than hot dogs and peas.

The big thing .... we had our nanny start work a week before I did, so I
could be in and out of the house to see how she was doing and be
comfortable with her. Even after I started work I'd drop by
unexpectedly from time to time in the first weeks. And she was GREAT,
so I was reassured.

We're out of the nanny game now, but she still sits for us occasionally.

--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Old December 5th 03, 07:14 PM
Circe

wrote in message
m...
i am thinking about hiring a live-in nanny in the metrowest section of
boston.
i am wondering what is typical of the pay, benefits,and hours that the
nanny will work. i would like to hire someone that has had some
nannying experience and/or some preschool experience.

If you are looking for a live-in, you might consider an au pair rather than
a nanny. I think people who want work as nannies who are also willing to
live in are fairly rare; most would prefer higher pay and to live on their
own. An au pair is an 18-26yo from a foreign country who comes to live with
your family for a year. The cost is roughly $13K per annum, regardless of
how many children you have, not including the additional costs of food,
utilities, etc. attributable to having another person in your household. I
also tended to pay my au pairs $20-$40 more per week than the stipend
required by the program. There are a number of agencies out there that will
assist you in matching with an au pair for a fee that represents roughly
half the yearly cost (though I think it's well worth that amount--in
addition to doing all the screening and providing some training for the au
pairs on arrival in the States, the agency provided the girls with health
insurance for the year and their transport to and from their home
countries).

I have had two au pairs and now have a live-out nanny. I was very happy with
my au pairs and would gladly have gotten a third when my last one left in
November, but my husband wanted a live-out situation and we had the good
fortune to know someone who was available and qualified for the job. She is,
however, considerably more expensive than the au pairs were (though worth
it)!
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [6], Aurora [4], and Vernon's [a quarter to 2] mom)

"Be prepare to stop" -- CalTrans sign

Daddy: You're up with the chickens this morning.
Aurora: No, I'm up with my dolls!