birth control reccommendations?

Old March 9th 06, 07:38 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default birth control reccommendations?

So, here it is 3 months post partum, and I'm just now starting to consider
my options for birth control. I was on depo before, but gained weight and
didn't care for the hassles of going in for an injection every 3 months. I
have always had super irregular cycles though, and with depo I had no period
at all... I liked that! But my doc says there are bone density issues
coming out now with depo, so I'm looking into other things. My doc is
suggesting an IUD, but I've heard bad things about that in the past, and
also wonder if you can feel it there? We are not planning on more children,
so I wish my husband would just get the procedure, but he seems pretty
reluctant to do anything permanent. Whatever I choose, I am assuming I will
still have irregular cycles, and wonder if the only treatment for that is
still taking the pill?

so many questions! and I'm still not even sure I'll ever want to have sex
again! lol...

Betsy

Old March 9th 06, 08:30 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Hi, Betsy. In addition to the bone density issues, there are also other
things they are beginning to discover with the depo. I, too, had very
irregular and painful periods and they put me on it. It stopped my
period, but I was then told had to go off of it 18 months before trying
to conceive. We lost the first PG at 7 weeks and our first son was
delivered at 21 weeks gestation and died due to a case of anencephaly.
They've never said for sure but think there may be link to the depo as
I was on it for a few years. If you guys even remotely think you may
have more children, I would strongly discourage the depo.

I looked into using the Nuvaring when we started disussing birth
control, but doc told me that any combination hormonal birth control
(both estrogen and progrestin) can decrease your milk supply. So, they
put me on a mini-pill, progestin only. I've had no problems with milk
decrease as a result, but it is a pain to remember taking it every day
at the same time ...

Although no personal experience, I have heard they've come a long way
with IUDs in recent years.

There's always the lovely "barrier methods", which if you aren't sure
you ever want to have sex again may just be the mood killer you're
looking for. =)

Just my two cents.

Old March 9th 06, 09:15 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"oregonchick" wrote in message
My doc is suggesting an IUD, but I've heard bad things about that in the
past, and also wonder if you can feel it there? We are not planning on
more children, so I wish my husband would just get the procedure, but he
seems pretty reluctant to do anything permanent. Whatever I choose, I am
assuming I will still have irregular cycles, and wonder if the only
treatment for that is still taking the pill?

I have had my IUD for almost four years now. It is the best, best, BEST
method of reversible birth control on the planet as far as I'm concerned.
No, you cannot feel it at all. It's very tiny, actually. There is a small
risk of infection immediately after insertion, but it is such a small risk
that I had no issues in taking it.

I have long, irregular cycles, too. They've never bothered me, so the fact
that IUD won't correct that isn't an issue for me. The only birth control
method that will regularize your cycles is combination BCPs, and the
estrogen can interfere significantly with milk production (not to mention it
makes me a stark, raving nut, so I have always avoided it). And combination
BCPs don't really cause you to have "normal" cycles anyway. You actually
only get your period because some of the pills in the pack are placebos and
the withdrawal of the hormones induces a "fake" period.

I have a copper-T IUD which is non-hormonal. The Mirena releases small
amounts of progesterone (which is what is in depo). I chose the copper-T
because I felt I'd had enough synthetic hormones in my system by then and
didn't need any more. The downside to the copper-T is that it can make
periods heavier, although mine have always been pretty heavy (I think it's
payback for my going longer between periods than most people g) so I'm not
sure it's had much on an effect on me that way.
--
Be well, Barbara

Old March 9th 06, 10:16 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

[...]

I'm using the "mini-pill", as it is better for breastfeeding than the
traditional pill. You have to much more regular in taking it though, can't
forget in the a.m. and just take it later in the day.
I've had no side effects (I did fine with the traditional pill too).

Amy

Old March 10th 06, 12:04 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

jsco31 writes:

: There's always the lovely "barrier methods", which if you aren't sure
: you ever want to have sex again may just be the mood killer you're
: looking for. =)

LOL! I've never heard it put so ssuccinctly.
Larry

Old March 10th 06, 04:05 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"oregonchick" wrote in message
My doc is suggesting an IUD, but I've heard bad things about that in the
past, and also wonder if you can feel it there?

cue IUD bliss

I shoulda gone straight to the IUD and skipped the Depo.

I could feel mine for the first week, and once my doc trimmed the strings at
my monthly checkup, DB couldn't feel anything.

I've got the Mirena, but I think someone else has a copper. I love mine.

Jess

Old March 10th 06, 06:26 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

I've had the Mirena for a few months now and I LOVE it. I never ever would
have considered it, were it not for this group, and all the positive
feedback from people using it here. I am at 9 months pp now and have had a
couple of days of spotting here and there, but not having to remember birth
control (we used a diaphragm before) is SO liberating. Having two kids who
don't sleep well (at the same time, that is!) you have to grab those

Old March 10th 06, 10:46 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Circe" wrote in message
news20Qf.362$5F1.261@fed1read08...
[...]

Good to know...I think I would go for something non-hormonal if it was me.
The BCP makes me loopy too. Has anyone had their IUD put in under a general?
I have heard of one person who did, but I guess she had unique circumstances
as she tore incredibly easily. I couldn't stomach the thought of it under
sedation.

--
Amy
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,

Old March 10th 06, 01:22 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Good to know...I think I would go for something non-hormonal if it was me.
The BCP makes me loopy too. Has anyone had their IUD put in under a
general? I have heard of one person who did, but I guess she had unique
circumstances as she tore incredibly easily. I couldn't stomach the
thought of it under sedation.

I had it done with no intervention and even with my SPD it was basically
fine. I do know someone who had it done under a general, but that was
because she was having surgery anyway and she hasn't had children.

Anne

Old March 10th 06, 02:18 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

CY wrote:
I've had the Mirena for a few months now and I LOVE it. I never ever would
have considered it, were it not for this group, and all the positive
feedback from people using it here. I am at 9 months pp now and have had a
couple of days of spotting here and there, but not having to remember birth
control (we used a diaphragm before) is SO liberating. Having two kids who
don't sleep well (at the same time, that is!) you have to grab those
"intimate moments" when you can, LOL!

I asked both my doctors - my OB and my GP - about an IUD, and both said
that it's not appropriate for me since we're planning on having other
kids within the next few years. Apparently it's too much trouble for
them to put it in for that short a time, and then take it back out.
Grrrr... So, since we have issues with EVERY OTHER BIRTH CONTROL IN
THE UNIVERSE, we're back to the PO&P method, and you know what they
call people who use that one...

Parents.

Amy
(it should be "parents who do lots of laundry..." Grrr...)