regional differences?

Old July 14th 03, 05:32 PM
Stephanie and Tim

Default regional differences?

"Karen Askey" wrote in message
In article ,

(Leslie) writes:

Karen said:

Now that he's 2 1/2, though, I just don't
think I could nip with him.

Just curious, Karen--is that because you would feel self-conscious, or
because
you would be holding Joey, or because you can no longer nurse him

discreetly?

Oh, yeah, 'cause I'm holding Joey is a good excuse! Actually, I just

don't
think I would feel comfortable doing it b/c he is so big and b/c I'm sure

we'd
get some scornful looks.

I wish I were with you in these times. I *love* scornful looks. I kept
hoping I would get them. The one and only time I did, DH would not let me
pick a fight. Phooey. I love to fight.

Especially since he looks more like 3 1/2 and NIP'ing
just isn't done around here, no matter what the age. Normally, I don't

care
what folks think or say, but for some reason, when it comes to nursing a 2

1/2
yr old in public, I get a little shy about it.

I can appreciate that. Lots of people who have probreastfeeding attitudes
for small babies get yucked out when it comes to toddlers.

He bumped his head at the baseball park the other night and was really
hollering. I figured he'd ask to nurse to feel better and I was going to

give
in for the sake of my child. However, *I* actually asked, "Do you want to
nurse?" and he said "No." He was up and playing moments later as if

nothing
had happened.

He's only asked once or twice, but I was able to
put him off with a "when we get home."

I wish I could get away with this. William still frequently wants to be
nursed
in public, most especially in the front pew at church, when I must comply

or
draw way more attention than I want. Other times I can distract him,

but
saying "Later" only brings tears.

koa
Still nursing James, 02/06/01
EP'ing for Joey 04/02/03 (BCP)

Old July 14th 03, 08:37 PM
Larry McMahan

Andrea writes:
: I recently visited my parents in Northern Virginia and noticed at least 4 women
: NIP while I was there. In sad contrast, I have lived in South Carolina for 12
: years and have seen perhaps 2 women NIP the entire time I've lived here. It
: must be a regional thing. Has anyone else noticed regional differences in the
: US as far as BFing is concerned?

We live in Northern California, and Monika says there are mother's NIPping all
the time, but I never see a damn thing. :-)

Larry
Old July 14th 03, 10:12 PM
HollyLewis

Normally, I don't care
what folks think or say, but for some reason, when it comes to nursing a 2
1/2
yr old in public, I get a little shy about it.

I'm not at all shy about it (which is partly personality and partly geography
-- although a NIP toddler is not exactly a *common* sight hereabouts I don't
think it would draw much notice) but I do avoid nursing my 2 1/2 year old in
public as well. My reason is he's too big for me to nurse while carrying on
with whatever I'm doing, so I'd have to find a reasonably comfortable place to
sit down and stay put for a bit, and that is just inconvenient if we're
shopping or running errands.

The last time I actually nursed him in front of anyone was at a party, so not
exactly "in public". He slipped and bumped his mouth on the corner of a coffee
table, putting a minor gash in his gum. It was late at night so he was tired
anyway and I'm sure it was very painful. That was when I learned that I *can*
nurse him without *too* much trouble in a non-nursing bra!

But usually it's not necessary.

Holly
Mom to Camden, 2 yrs

Old July 15th 03, 04:25 AM
Leslie

Normally, I don't care
what folks think or say, but for some reason, when it comes to nursing a 2
1/2
yr old in public, I get a little shy about it.

I understand. I feel exactly the same way, and get irritated at myself about
it, because I know I'm not doing anything wrong. It is no virtue of mine that
I nurse William in public; he would throw a fit if I refused.

Leslie

Emily (2/4/91), Jake (1/27/94), Teddy (2/15/95), and William (3/5/01)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/o/onemoremakesfour/

"Children come trailing clouds of glory from God, which is their home."
~ William Wordsworth

Old July 15th 03, 04:26 AM
Leslie

That was when I learned that I *can*
nurse him without *too* much trouble in a non-nursing bra!

I gave up nursing bras long ago. I have managed to find regular ones that are
somewhat stretchy. Now I just wish I could wear non-nursing-accessible
clothes. :-(