refusing bottles of EBM

Old July 12th 03, 11:56 PM
Clisby Williams

Default refusing bottles of EBM

Dawn Lawson wrote:

jake's mom wrote:

My 7 week old son has refused bottles of EBM from DH the past 5 or so times
he has tried to feed him. This would not bother me so much if I did not
have to return to work when he will be 4.5 to 5 months old. I know I'm
ahead of schedule for worrying about this issue but he is going to have to
take the bottle then. He did take a bottle when he was 1-3 days old as we
were told he needed supplementation because he was so big--we didn't know
any better until a LC spoke with us on day 3. He did not suffer any nipple
confusion from this and obviously prefers the breast now. I have a very
fast letdown--should we use the fast flow nipples? What can we do to get
him to drink from the bottle? Any suggestions?

I'd not switch nipples just because nipple confusion is the LAST thing you
want.

My DS refused anything other than my boob or finger in his mouth until he was
about 4 months old, whereupon it was suddenly no big deal. 7 weeks is very
early, and a whole lot will change in every "department" by the time he's 4-5
months old.

If you really want him to drink now, try different milk temps, some have said
their baby likes the milk quite warm, try different positions, (facing out,
sitting up seems common), try distraction (walking, music)

Dawn

Also, some babies won't take a bottle if they know their mother is
around. Do you go
away when your husband tries to feed the baby?

Clisby

Old July 13th 03, 03:28 PM
Melissa

I'm in the same position as you (regarding DD not taking a bottle). Although
I'm not returning to work, I'd really like her to take a bottle so I can
leave her for more than two hours on occasion. We're giving her an ounce of
milke every day in the bottle. Most of it gets thrown out, but we've made
progress.

She's gone from crying at the sight of the bottle to allowing it into her
mouth. One of these days, we're hoping she progresses to sucking. We gave
her the first bottle at four weeks (she took it but hasn't taken one since)
and she's three months old today.

Good luck!

--
Melissa (in Los Angeles)
Mum to Elizabeth 4/13/03

. com...

Old July 14th 03, 08:44 PM
Larry McMahan

jake's mom writes:
: My 7 week old son has refused bottles of EBM from DH the past 5 or so times
: he has tried to feed him. This would not bother me so much if I did not
: have to return to work when he will be 4.5 to 5 months old. I know I'm
: ahead of schedule for worrying about this issue but he is going to have to
: take the bottle then. He did take a bottle when he was 1-3 days old as we
: were told he needed supplementation because he was so big--we didn't know
: any better until a LC spoke with us on day 3. He did not suffer any nipple
: confusion from this and obviously prefers the breast now. I have a very
: fast letdown--should we use the fast flow nipples? What can we do to get
: him to drink from the bottle? Any suggestions?

: Robin

Get out of the house for a couple of hours and have DH offer the bottles.

Good luck,
Larry

Medela bottles for EBM, and grandma Jill Pregnancy 32 June 27th 04 11:19 PM
sterilizing bottles and water Donna Pregnancy 68 March 27th 04 06:11 AM
bottles at daycare toypup General 12 March 22nd 04 06:13 PM
POLL: Refusing Crib Allie General 9 November 13th 03 04:29 PM
Bottles at night Ali's Daddie General 15 July 27th 03 05:02 AM