Good parenting

Old July 20th 03, 12:12 AM
PF Riley

Default Good parenting

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 09:54:05 GMT, "Roger Schlafly"
wrote:

"JG" wrote
assume that virtually *everyone* is aware of the correlation between
overeating and excess weight--the "information."): Either (1) She

Yes, I am sure she understands that she got fat from overeating.

No, I would not be so sure. Many overweight people insist that they
have a "gland" problem or blame other factors for it, attributing
their appetite to their size, not vice versa.

PF
Old July 20th 03, 01:49 AM
Wendy Marsden

PF Riley wrote:

Yes, I am sure she understands that she got fat from overeating.

No, I would not be so sure. Many overweight people insist that they
have a "gland" problem or blame other factors for it, attributing
their appetite to their size, not vice versa.

Agreed. One of the hallmarks of a new dieter in a group I'm in is their
opening statement, "My metabolism doesn't work as well as other people's -
it's genetics, not my fault." The term we use (quite liberally) is "Fat
**** in Denial", FFID.

Wendy
Old July 20th 03, 01:56 AM
Wendy Marsden

Roger Schlafly wrote:

She is pretty good about checking for peanuts. Occasionally someone
will try to feed her a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and she knows
not to eat that. (Unless it is made with soy butter instead of peanut
butter.)

I agree with PF: this is patently ridiculous. A peanut allergy is a
challenging situation for ADULTS when they aren't preparing their own
food. I was at the most elegent restaurant I've ever been at last week
with someone with a nut allergy. She asked TWICE if there were nuts in
her meal. They said no. She started reacting to the green beans and they
admitted they had slivered almonds on top of the pan (none of which were
in her plate - maybe they picked them off for her.)

Later, at that same meal, she ordered a chocolate mousse (maybe she was
hungry from not being able to eat the beans.) She asked AGAIN to make
sure there were no nuts in it. They assured her there weren't. She took
a bite and started to swell up. (I saw this whole thing.) She started
gasping for some Benedryl, preferring not to use her Epipen if
possible. The waiter appeared uninterested in the whole thing - it was as
if they had never even HEARD of a nut allergy.

There were hazelnut pieces mixed in the chocolate. (I had the same thing
- it was good - but she got served before me so I couldn't warn her.)

My SIL lived, but no thanks to any adult near her. A three year old would
be dead from that meal. It was on a lovely island a 30 minute ferry ride
from a hospital.

I'll be sad when your kid dies young, but I believe in the whole Darwin
thing so it's just nature's course.

Wendy
Old July 20th 03, 10:09 AM
Roger Schlafly

"Wendy Marsden" wrote
I agree with PF: this is patently ridiculous. A peanut allergy is a
challenging situation for ADULTS when they aren't preparing their own
food. I was at the most elegent restaurant I've ever been at last week
with someone with a nut allergy. She asked TWICE if there were nuts in

So the adult got the same wrong answer that a child would have gotten.

Old July 20th 03, 02:29 PM
Wendy Marsden

Roger Schlafly wrote:
"Wendy Marsden" wrote
I agree with PF: this is patently ridiculous. A peanut allergy is a
challenging situation for ADULTS when they aren't preparing their own
food. I was at the most elegent restaurant I've ever been at last week
with someone with a nut allergy. She asked TWICE if there were nuts in

So the adult got the same wrong answer that a child would have gotten.

Yes. But the adult used her power as an adult to question their word and
believe her senses and stoppped eating the suspected problem food (and she
picked the right food - the green beans - to suspect.)

Believing yourself when adults say something different is not a skill a
three year old has.

Being *continuously* paranoid about any morsal being offered to you is not
a skill children have.

It's great if she can help you with this task of keeping her away from
peanuts, but she just can't do it by herself.

I've even heard of parents who resent picky eaters LYING to children
about peanuts thinking the kid just doesn't LIKE them and they will like
them if they try them.

My nephew (the child of my SIL with the nut allergy) is also allergic to
peanuts. He wears a medic allert bracelet and carries an epipen and his
mother is a tireless advocate on his behalf. But guess what happened last
Thanksgiving. It was being hosted by my in-laws, the child's next-door
neighbor grandparents, and my FIL had the bright idea of cooking with a
new gadget, one of those deep-fried turkey things. Guess what - he used
peanut oil. The kid couldn't even come near the house, much less eat
turkey. It was just thoughtlessness. It happens.

Wendy
Old July 20th 03, 09:14 PM
Mark Probert

PF Riley wrote:

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 10:07:18 GMT, "Roger Schlafly"
wrote:

"PF Riley" wrote

Ignoring all the other issues you raise, I'd like to know if you
really do send your three-year-old child with peanut allergy to events
where she is given food without your supervision and expect her to
maintain surveillance herself for peanuts, given that peanut allergy

She is pretty good about checking for peanuts. Occasionally someone
will try to feed her a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and she knows
not to eat that. (Unless it is made with soy butter instead of peanut
butter.)

You have confirmed my suspicious that you really are as stupid as I
thought. God help your child if she is only three yet you expect her
to watch her own diet to save her life.

As a pediatric endocrinologist once said to the idiot mother of a
10-year-old child, who said she expects him to manage his own blood
sugar monitoring and insulin injections so that he can learn "some
responsibility," as he lay there in his ICU bed at the brink of
cerebral edema and death from diabetic ketoacidosis, "If you want to
teach him responsibility, get him a goldfish. You are his mother,
however, and YOU are responsible for making sure he gets his insulin,
or next time he might die."

I'm curious for input from the group, please. Am I out of line here,
or is anyone else as appalled but then again not surprised that Roger
has yet again outdone himself in the stupidity department?

Just telling a kid not to touch the burners is useless.

But telling a peanut-allergic kid not to eat peanuts isn't?

I would demonstrate
that heat is bad, in a controlled way. She doesn't touch the burners
once she understands what will happen.

No, idiot. It would make her even more curious about it.

It sounds like you are a wimpy, immature parent who is afraid to apply
any discipline to his children but rationalizes his inaction with the
false notion that he is teaching them "independence" or
"responsibility." Loser.

I think you are right on the mark.

Note Medtronic recently was approved for a self regulating insulin pump.

Old July 20th 03, 09:18 PM
Mark Probert

Wendy Marsden wrote:

Roger Schlafly wrote:

"Wendy Marsden" wrote

I agree with PF: this is patently ridiculous. A peanut allergy is a
challenging situation for ADULTS when they aren't preparing their own
food. I was at the most elegent restaurant I've ever been at last week
with someone with a nut allergy. She asked TWICE if there were nuts in

So the adult got the same wrong answer that a child would have gotten.

Yes. But the adult used her power as an adult to question their word and
believe her senses and stoppped eating the suspected problem food (and she
picked the right food - the green beans - to suspect.)

Believing yourself when adults say something different is not a skill a
three year old has.

Being *continuously* paranoid about any morsal being offered to you is not
a skill children have.

Excellent point. A nighobr's 16 year old has a nut allergy and is just
now trusting himself to monitor food outside.

It's great if she can help you with this task of keeping her away from
peanuts, but she just can't do it by herself.

I've even heard of parents who resent picky eaters LYING to children
about peanuts thinking the kid just doesn't LIKE them and they will like
them if they try them.

My nephew (the child of my SIL with the nut allergy) is also allergic to
peanuts. He wears a medic allert bracelet and carries an epipen and his
mother is a tireless advocate on his behalf. But guess what happened last
Thanksgiving. It was being hosted by my in-laws, the child's next-door
neighbor grandparents, and my FIL had the bright idea of cooking with a
new gadget, one of those deep-fried turkey things.

Many of them are inherently daqngerous, and have a tendency to tip over.
We roast our bird over an open fire in a pit.

Old July 20th 03, 10:38 PM
Roger Schlafly

"Wendy Marsden" wrote
I've even heard of parents who resent picky eaters LYING to children
about peanuts thinking the kid just doesn't LIKE them and they will like
them if they try them.

No doubt some parents also do the reverse -- tell the kid that some
dessert has peanuts in it just to deter the kid from wanting the dessert.

I just tell the kid the truth. Even a 3-year-old can understand it.

Old July 21st 03, 04:35 AM
CBI

"PF Riley" wrote in message

I'm curious for input from the group, please. Am I out of line here,
or is anyone else as appalled but then again not surprised that Roger
has yet again outdone himself in the stupidity department?

He is proving tha ddage that practice makes perfect.

I think he is nearly the perfect fool.

It sounds like you are a wimpy, immature parent who is afraid to apply
any discipline to his children but rationalizes his inaction with the
false notion that he is teaching them "independence" or
"responsibility." Loser.

Insecurity explains much of his behavior.

--
CBI, MD