Gas in BF baby

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 31st 07, 11:16 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
betsey@delete_nospamnelgin.nu

Default Gas in BF baby

You've seen me once and my husband a couple of times. Sorry I never
responded about my original post (I think Anne replied to that one,
about a nipple shield my midwife gave me - thanks!). You know how it
is...

My latest "problem" is that my exclusively BF son, John, 10 weeks
today, has very painful gas every morning. It is relieved, of course,
by the poop that he holds all night (thank goodness). He started the
change on poop patern about 2 or 3 weeks ago; he still has frequent
poops the rest of the day. I was thinking the gas was due to a thrush
infection (which may or may not have been imagined, but I think that
is out of the picture now), but now I realize it may be related to the
change in pooping.

I have started to realize that I'm having to burp him a lot as well,
which is annoying. Unless he happens to fall asleep in the car or on a
walk in his stroller, he will only fall asleep at the breast, which is
fine with me ATM. We co-sleep and he stays in bed (except for a couple
of diaper changes) about 12 hours a night, so I'm feeding him quite a
bit at night and of course not burping him at the end of a feed.

So, I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to lessen the gas (he
cries out in pain - and neither he nor I is ready to get up, but I get
him up and change his diaper so he can get that poop out, then back to
bed for his morning nap . I'm wondering if he's swallowing too much
air while nursing (maybe just side-lying nursing, but that seems to be
the main position these days as he has started the distractable
phase), and I'm not getting it all out via burping. Any thoughts?

I am leaning towards poor latch, then not enough burping. I don't
think his latch is the greatest, but he's gaining weight like a champ
- 13 lbs 6 ounces at his 2-month wbv after a 8lbs 3 oz birthweight. I
have big boobs, so big nipples, and he's pulling off quite a bit,
which doesn't hurt at the time but after a bit, they are pretty pink
and slightly burny (hence why I thought I/we had thrush).

JIC, I'm trying to cut out dairy. I did it half-heartedly in the early
days but didn't think it was making a difference, and I'm not seeing
any other allergic behavior - no allergy ring at least, and the gas is
only in the morning. He has developed eczema on his face, now that I
think of it.

TIA (and thanks for wadign through the long post!),

Betsey