Celeb birth - Gwyneth Paltrow

Old May 17th 04, 10:45 PM
Cat

Default Celeb birth - Gwyneth Paltrow

Apparently, a web publication called Cupcake
(http://www.snopes.com/quotes/info/cupcake.htm)
published a satirical interview of Mariah Carey in which this quotation
appeared. It was picked up and recirculated to the point where people got
confused and began to believe that she really said it.

It's wrong to circulate such a damaging quotation when in fact Mariah Carey
"has actually engaged in a number of philanthropic efforts, including
performing benefit concerts to raise money for Camp Mariah, a camp for
impoverished city youths in Fishkill, N.Y. "

Cat said:

And just because that website says she didn't say it doesn't mean she really
didn't say it. Just give it a rest and stop picking apart my sig.

And if I decide to make up a sig line saying:

"Everyone who hangs out on mkp is stupid."
--Cat

how would you prove you never said it? That's called libel, and it's
illegal,
as well as uncharitable. There are plenty of real quotations from famous
people that are worth repeating; why not put one of those in your sig?

And this isn't about picking apart your sig just to be picking it apart.
It's
about stemming the flow of misinformation so that no further damage is done
Mariah Carey's character. I personally check every single stupid email
forward
I receive on Snopes. I wish to God everyone else would too. It takes all of
one minute, and 99% (at least) of the things I am sent are completely or
partly
wrong. I always hit reply all so that the correct info gets distributed to
as
many people as possible, and many times people whom I don't even know have
mailed me to thank me.

Why are you so attached to this particular quotation to the point that you
would continue to use it even when you know it is false?

Leslie
"It is one thing to show a man that he is in error, and another to put him in
possession of truth."
--John Locke

Pretty sad that you took the time to research all that. I don't know why
everyone has a problem w/my sig line but thinks its ok to call Paltrow an idiot
for naming her child Apple.

"Whenever I watch TV and see those poor starving kids all over the world, I
can't help but cry. I mean I'd love to be skinny like that, but not with all
those flies and death and stuff" --Mariah Carey
Old May 17th 04, 11:24 PM
Leslie

Cat opined:

Pretty sad that you took the time to research all that.

Why is that sad? I happen to think that it is inspiring that I care enough
about disseminating the truth to take that time, and sad that you care so
little for truth that you prefer to continue spreading vicious rumors about
someone you don't know.

I don't know why
everyone has a problem w/my sig line but thinks its ok to call Paltrow an
idiot
for naming her child Apple.

It is a fact that Paltrow names her child Apple. I did not personally say she
was an idiot, but if people want to say that she is an idiot for picking that
particular name, that is their opinion, to which they are entitled.

You, on the other hand, continue to circulate an out and out lie about Mariah
Carey which, if it were true, would certainly imply she is not only an idiot
but also self-centered and uncaring.

Leslie

Old May 17th 04, 11:39 PM
Cat

You, on the other hand, continue to circulate an out and out lie about Mariah
Carey which, if it were true, would certainly imply she is not only an idiot
but also self-centered and uncaring.

Leslie

Reguardless of your babbling I will not be changing my sig line any time soon.
So either inform Ms. Carey so that she can sue me or be quiet.

Old May 18th 04, 12:59 AM
Rebecca McGraw

Default Bad baby names: (was: Celeb birth - Gwyneth Paltrow)

For my job I get to read LOTS of newspapers from all over the
state...therefore I see lots of birth announcements. I've been keeping a
list...my favorites so far are Kix (just like the cereal or the 80s
hair-metal band), Neafateria (have no idea where that one came from) and
Mackenlee. I had to say that one out loud a few times to get that it was
a variant of McKinley, because my English-only brain kept seeing
MACK-en-lee, not Mac-KIN-lee.
Oh, and also twins named Glitter and Glamour.

-Rebecca

Jamie Clark wrote:
Yeah, I just heard one -- McKynleigh. Not just a nice simple McKinley,
noooo. Let's add every possible vowel and consonant we can! The first time
I saw it in print, I had to pronounce it out in my head -- I couldn't figure
out what it was! Yeesh.

Old May 18th 04, 01:25 AM
Donna

"Cat" wrote in message
You, on the other hand, continue to circulate an out and out lie about

Mariah
Carey which, if it were true, would certainly imply she is not only an

idiot
but also self-centered and uncaring.

Leslie

Reguardless of your babbling I will not be changing my sig line any time

soon.
So either inform Ms. Carey so that she can sue me or be quiet.

What a delight you are, Cat. If your goal was to present yourself here as a
complete lightweight, congratulations, you've succeeded.

I hope you don't need info or advice from the folks here any time soon.

Donna

Old May 18th 04, 01:29 AM
Jamie Clark

PLONK.
--

Jamie & Taylor
Earth Angel, 1/3/03

Check out Taylor Marlys -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest, Password:
Guest
Password

Handmade Baby Blankets -- www.geocities.com/digit_the_cat/Blankets.html

Old May 18th 04, 01:55 AM
Jamie Clark

"Donna" wrote in message

"Cat" wrote in message
You, on the other hand, continue to circulate an out and out lie about

Mariah
Carey which, if it were true, would certainly imply she is not only an

idiot
but also self-centered and uncaring.

Leslie

Reguardless of your babbling I will not be changing my sig line any time

soon.
So either inform Ms. Carey so that she can sue me or be quiet.

What a delight you are, Cat. If your goal was to present yourself here as

complete lightweight, congratulations, you've succeeded.

I hope you don't need info or advice from the folks here any time soon.

Donna

Complete lightweight? Hmmm, those aren't exactly the words that I was
thinking of....either way, someone's whose posts I won't miss reading, as
she hasn't had anything of value to contribute yet.

Nya nya nya nya, neener neener neeener, ptttthhhbbbbbb.

Old May 18th 04, 01:58 AM
Cat

What a delight you are, Cat. If your goal was to present yourself here as a
complete lightweight, congratulations, you've succeeded.

I hope you don't need info or advice from the folks here any time soon.

Donna

Trust me, I won't. I'd rather get my advice from knowledge worthy women.

Old May 18th 04, 02:05 AM
Donna

"Jamie Clark" wrote in message
ink.net...

Nya nya nya nya, neener neener neeener, ptttthhhbbbbbb.

Succinctly put.

Donna (giggling)

Old May 18th 04, 02:06 AM
Donna

"Cat" wrote in message
What a delight you are, Cat. If your goal was to present yourself here

as a
complete lightweight, congratulations, you've succeeded.

I hope you don't need info or advice from the folks here any time soon.

Donna

Trust me, I won't. I'd rather get my advice from knowledge worthy women.

Who, like Mariah Carey?

rolls eyes

Donna