Refusing left side

Old November 22nd 03, 03:34 AM
Cheryl S.

Default Refusing left side

DS (2.5 months old) has refused to nurse on my left side for 12 hours
now, since 9:00 this morning. He is clearly hungry yet cries and acts
very annoyed when I offer the left side and will not latch, but then
nurses eagerly off the right side. What is going on? I've tried
football hold to no avail (only position I've ever used before is cradle
hold.) I'm getting uncomfortable and will have to pump before going to
bed.
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 2 yr., 7 mo.

Cleaning the house while your children are small is like
shoveling the sidewalk while it's still snowing.

Old November 22nd 03, 04:07 AM
Phoebe & Allyson

Cheryl S. wrote:

DS (2.5 months old) has refused to nurse on my left side for 12 hours
now, since 9:00 this morning. He is clearly hungry yet cries and acts
very annoyed when I offer the left side and will not latch, but then
nurses eagerly off the right side. What is going on?

Can you nurse lying down? I think it's ear infections that
can make lying on one side more uncomfortable.

Phoebe
--
yahoo address is unread - substitute mailbolt

Old November 22nd 03, 09:30 AM
Judy King

"Cheryl S." wrote in message
DS (2.5 months old) has refused to nurse on my left side for 12 hours
now, since 9:00 this morning. He is clearly hungry yet cries and acts
very annoyed when I offer the left side and will not latch, but then
nurses eagerly off the right side. What is going on? I've tried
football hold to no avail (only position I've ever used before is cradle
hold.) I'm getting uncomfortable and will have to pump before going to
bed.
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 2 yr., 7 mo.
And Jaden, 2 months

Cleaning the house while your children are small is like
shoveling the sidewalk while it's still snowing.

Sorry I know I shouldn't laugh, I hope you have him feeding on that side
again, but when I read your post I read 2.5 years instead of months. I was
sitting here trying to picture feeding a 2.5 year old in football hold! What
a twit :-) (me not you).

Old November 22nd 03, 12:04 PM
Chookie

In article ,
"Cheryl S." wrote:

DS (2.5 months old) has refused to nurse on my left side for 12 hours
now, since 9:00 this morning. He is clearly hungry yet cries and acts
very annoyed when I offer the left side and will not latch, but then
nurses eagerly off the right side. What is going on? I've tried
football hold to no avail (only position I've ever used before is cradle
hold.) I'm getting uncomfortable and will have to pump before going to
bed.

Something is making him uncomfortable whe he's held that way. Ear infection?
Sore mouth? A bruise somewhere?

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Jeez; if only those Ancient Greek storytellers had known about the astonishing
creature that is the *Usenet hydra*: you cut off one head, and *a stupider one*
grows back..." -- MJ, cam.misc
Old November 22nd 03, 03:00 PM
Cheryl S.

Phoebe & Allyson wrote in message
Can you nurse lying down? I think it's ear infections that
can make lying on one side more uncomfortable.

Haven't tried lying down yet. Could never get it to work with DD so
haven't bothered trying yet with DS. If it's an ear infection, I'm
really surprised, since he hasn't had a cold or even the sniffles. We
just were at the doctor a day and a half before (I suspected reflux) and
she looked in his ears then. Anyway, thankfully he did take the left
side for his 4:00am feeding last night and I am looking more normal now
(the left one was about twice as big as the right by then! - even though
I had pumped almost 4 oz before going to bed)

Old November 22nd 03, 03:01 PM
Cheryl S.

Judy King wrote in message
Sorry I know I shouldn't laugh, I hope you have him feeding
on that side again, but when I read your post I read 2.5 years
instead of months. I was sitting here trying to picture feeding
a 2.5 year old in football hold! What a twit :-) (me not you).

LOL. How *do* you hold a 2.5 year old? I'm trying to picture nursing
DD and having trouble.

Old November 22nd 03, 03:03 PM
Cheryl S.

Chookie wrote in message
Something is making him uncomfortable whe he's held that
way. Ear infection? Sore mouth? A bruise somewhere?

He *always* ends up slumped to his right when he falls asleep sitting up
(the only way he'll sleep during the day) - maybe he had a stiff neck in
that direction?

Old November 24th 03, 04:11 PM
Cathy Weeks

"Cheryl S." wrote in message ...
Judy King wrote in message
Sorry I know I shouldn't laugh, I hope you have him feeding
on that side again, but when I read your post I read 2.5 years
instead of months. I was sitting here trying to picture feeding
a 2.5 year old in football hold! What a twit :-) (me not you).

LOL. How *do* you hold a 2.5 year old? I'm trying to picture nursing
DD and having trouble.

Not in a football hold! Kivi nurses in the more traditional cradle
hold. She's not 2.5 yet, though, 'only' 23 months. It's actually
easier nursing a toddler, because they know just what to do!

Cathy Weeks
Mommy to Kivi Alexis 12/01
Old November 24th 03, 04:27 PM
Dawn Lawson

Cathy Weeks wrote:
"Cheryl S." wrote in message ...

Judy King wrote in message

Sorry I know I shouldn't laugh, I hope you have him feeding
on that side again, but when I read your post I read 2.5 years
instead of months. I was sitting here trying to picture feeding
a 2.5 year old in football hold! What a twit :-) (me not you).

LOL. How *do* you hold a 2.5 year old? I'm trying to picture nursing
DD and having trouble.

Not in a football hold!

Is that only due to getting the space behind you? Otherwise I don't see
why not?

Dawn

Old November 27th 03, 02:30 PM
Cathy Weeks

Dawn Lawson wrote in message news:jrpwb.482938$6C4.480612@pd7tw1no...
Cathy Weeks wrote:
"Cheryl S." wrote in message ...

Judy King wrote in message

Sorry I know I shouldn't laugh, I hope you have him feeding
on that side again, but when I read your post I read 2.5 years
instead of months. I was sitting here trying to picture feeding
a 2.5 year old in football hold! What a twit :-) (me not you).

LOL. How *do* you hold a 2.5 year old? I'm trying to picture nursing
DD and having trouble.

Not in a football hold!

Is that only due to getting the space behind you? Otherwise I don't see
why not?

The space behind you is an issue, certainly, but for me, it's also
because you have to help support her head and shoulders to raise her
up enough to reach your breast and toddlers are HEAVY- or else slouch
down to get the boob in her mouth. In the cradle hold, her butt and
body are resting on your lap, automatically raised up. She still rests
her head on my arm, but it's a lot less that way - at least for us.

Cathy Weeks
Mommy to Kivi Alexis 12/01

At 3:22 am mom & son nancy Pregnancy 1 December 20th 03 07:57 PM
Baby preferring one side Cathy Breastfeeding 0 July 29th 03 04:27 AM
My awful side effects from Strattera for ADHD andrea baker General 2 July 28th 03 02:17 PM
My awful side effects from Strattera for ADHD andrea baker Kids Health 2 July 28th 03 01:49 PM
Helping Your Child Be Healthy and Fit sX3#;WA@'U John Smith Kids Health 0 July 20th 03 04:50 AM