Biting

Old April 19th 06, 09:01 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default Biting

I came here for advice when DD wasn't gaining weight and received a lot
of help. Skylar is now 8 months old and has her first tooth. It isn't
completely in yet, but it is through the gum. Sometimes when she is
through nursing she will pull up and off and I am scrapped by the
tooth. I think that today she tried to bite me a couple of times, but I
wouldn't let her back on. I want and have to keep nursing, because she
won't take a bottle and she refuses formula, plus she only weighs 14lbs
9ozs and was 7lbs 4ozs at birth, so she is still small and needs to eat
often. She nurses every three to four hours and my nipples are getting
sore. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,
Tammy

Old April 20th 06, 01:38 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Tammy wrote:
tooth. I think that today she tried to bite me a couple of times, but I
wouldn't let her back on. I want and have to keep nursing, because she

Push on her chin when she bites. That
worked for Pillbug and Rocky (10 months
now with 4 teeth).

-- Anita --
Old April 20th 06, 01:53 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Thank you!! I will try it next time. She drew blood tonight. Do I just
push againist her chin?

Tammy

Old April 20th 06, 03:43 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Tammy wrote:

Thank you!! I will try it next time. She drew blood tonight. Do I just
push againist her chin?

Ooh, sorry to hear about the blood.
Yeah, I push gently against baby's
chin and say gently "no bite". I
actually started doing this before
both kids got teeth because they would
clamp down with their gums and that hurt
like heck, too. So, really, by the time
they got teeth, they were used to not
biting. I think I got bitten maybe twice
by each kid, not more than that.

Other advice I've heard (which did
NOT work for me) a

* put baby on floor, end of nursing session
* yell (that sometimes makes them laugh,
though)
* pull baby toward you so baby cannot
breathe and has to let go of the bite

In all cases, always be consistent in
saying "no bite" or "don't bite" or
whatever works for you.

-- Anita --
Old April 20th 06, 06:59 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

One other thing that has worked for me is to say "stick out your tongue
to nurse" then I stick my tongue out covering my bottom lip. My baby
would mimic me happily. This worked a bit better for biting is during
latch on, the reminder seemed to help with biting later in the session.

--Betsy

Old April 20th 06, 03:40 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Tammy wrote:
I came here for advice when DD wasn't gaining weight and received a lot
of help. Skylar is now 8 months old and has her first tooth. It isn't
completely in yet, but it is through the gum. Sometimes when she is
through nursing she will pull up and off and I am scrapped by the
tooth. I think that today she tried to bite me a couple of times, but I
wouldn't let her back on. I want and have to keep nursing, because she
won't take a bottle and she refuses formula, plus she only weighs 14lbs
9ozs and was 7lbs 4ozs at birth, so she is still small and needs to eat
often. She nurses every three to four hours and my nipples are getting
sore. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

If it helps any, I am right there with you. My DD is also 8 months,
and she has FOUR teeth! Whenever I look into her mouth, I see a little
guillotine. She hasn't drawn blood, yet, thank God, but there have
been times when I thought she did. OUCH.

I usually put her down and let her cry for a while, and hopefully
she'll get the idea that we don't get to nurse when we bite. Hasn't
worked yet, though.

Amy

Old April 20th 06, 06:45 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Usually a baby bites at the end of a feed. and there is a clue that
it is about to happen. A baby cannot bite when they are fully
latched on, so they first slip down onto the end of the nipple.
If the baby *starts* to slip down, latch them off, and latch them
back on corectly. If they refuse to stay latched on correctly,
end the nursing session.

If you need ot latch them off, either to correct the position or
because you are being bitten. press their face into your breast.
The baby will immediately open her mouth, and you can latch her
off.

Good luck,
Larry

Old April 21st 06, 12:59 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

I have been pulling her to me, but she thinks it is funny. Also I tried
the yelling as recommended by a friend, but she went into full belly
laughs at that. I am trying pushing on her chin and it has helped
some. As soon as I felt her getting ready to slip down and bite I put
my hand up so I could be ready to push on her chin and it seems to have
stopped her twice without me having to touch her. Thank you again for
all of your help.

Tammy

Old April 21st 06, 03:08 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Dear Tammy,

My 1 year-old boy also likes biting my nipples. Now he has 6 teeth
already and you can imagine how painful it is when he bites. Aw!!
When he does that, I always try to restrain the pain. Why? Because if I
start screaming, he looks at me as if enjoying my scream. Thus, he
repeats the biting. If i stay calm, he stops it. It often works.
Hope it helps.

Cheers,
Cinnamon
http://cinnamonleaf.lipblogs.com

Old April 22nd 06, 09:34 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

With you on this one... I have a 13 month old with 11-12 teeth and
developmental issues and she will NOT stop biting, no matter what, and
we keep nursing, no matter what.

I take it on a case by case basis. If she's being "rowdy"
(biting/pulling/wiggling) I put her down and don't nurse her until she
settles (or burps, which often solves it). If she's "nipping" as she
comes off, I don't make such a big deal because at this point, it's
just not worth it and she's not doing it on purpose. If she chomps on
purpose, I dont' nurse her again for a while, until it stops hurting.

I've gotten so I watch her like a hawk and keep my finger right there
so i can pry her jaws apart when necessary.

Some positions are better than others. If I'm paying attention and
looking at her and upright, she rarely bites.
Jenrose

My child is biting others John Dalberg General 12 February 14th 06 06:23 PM
Toddler biting Cathy Weeks General 4 September 4th 04 12:46 PM
Toddler biting Cathy Weeks Pregnancy 4 September 4th 04 12:46 PM
Biting help please! Lora R Breastfeeding 5 February 17th 04 08:13 AM
Yikes! Major biting attacks! Laurie Breastfeeding 7 October 25th 03 06:46 AM