Concerned about pool safety

Old April 7th 04, 02:05 PM
Lizajane

Default Concerned about pool safety

We have a small lap pool in our back yard. I wish we didn't, but we
do. There is a short fence around the pool, and another fence around
our outer back yard. We are consulting with a landscaper tonight about
erecting a taller fence around the pool, but I feel like I am getting
some push back from DH about wanting to alter the aesthetics of our
back yard. We can not put a mesh fence directly around the pool,
because the poles have nothing to anchor to. Under the bricks around
the pool is sand. What are some other ways to make the pool extremely
inaccessible? I understand that there is no substitute for constant
supervision, but I still want it to be VERY difficult for DS (11
months) to get into the pool area when he starts to walk.

Also, I have heard so many different positions about early swim
lessons. I would like to get lessons for DS this summer, just to get
him comfortable in the water, then when he reaches the age of 4, REAL
swim lessons. I understand that lessons are also not a sub for
supervision.

How can I ease my anxious mind about this stupid pool??
Old April 7th 04, 02:33 PM
Leanne

Also, I have heard so many different positions about early swim
lessons. I would like to get lessons for DS this summer, just to get
him comfortable in the water, then when he reaches the age of 4, REAL
swim lessons. I understand that lessons are also not a sub for
supervision.

Children can learn to swim from a very early age, which is really pushed
here in australia... my sister teaches kids how to swim, most of them are
1.5 to 2 years of age...

Old April 7th 04, 03:00 PM
Mary W.

Lizajane wrote:

We have a small lap pool in our back yard. I wish we didn't, but we
do. There is a short fence around the pool, and another fence around
our outer back yard. We are consulting with a landscaper tonight about
erecting a taller fence around the pool, but I feel like I am getting
some push back from DH about wanting to alter the aesthetics of our
back yard. We can not put a mesh fence directly around the pool,
because the poles have nothing to anchor to. Under the bricks around
the pool is sand. What are some other ways to make the pool extremely
inaccessible? I understand that there is no substitute for constant
supervision, but I still want it to be VERY difficult for DS (11
months) to get into the pool area when he starts to walk.
How can I ease my anxious mind about this stupid pool??

For your own sense of peace, I'd definately do a taller fence with
a latch that your son couldn't do (on the inside only?). My parents
have a pool in the backyard (the yard is fenced, the pool is not).
I am always hyper-vigalent when we visit, DD is never out of my
sight out there, and the doors to the yard are closed when we
are inside. Even so, I find it stressful, so I completely understand.
Good luck!

Mary

Old April 7th 04, 04:48 PM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Lizajane wrote:

[...]

I know people who have easily accessible pools, with kids. They've had
no problems. They just make sure that the kids know not to go near the
pool (I know one girl who had two babies in the same house with a pool,
and she had no problems teaching them right from the start). They never
let the kids out in the yard alone if there is no fence right around the
pool (most people I know do not have fences right around the pool - just
around the whole yard).

But just an idea if you're still worried... If you can't replace the
fence, then how about getting a lock for the gate? I'm assuming that
the fence is short enough so that your toddler will be able to reach the
latch.

Old April 7th 04, 04:58 PM
toypup

"Lizajane" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Can you get an alarm for when the gate is open? I've seen fences that have
legs, so the poles don't have to anchor to the ground. Make sure the gate
is self-closing and self-locking and swings outwards. One of my co-workers
got a pool recently and she said the laws around here required four levels
of security around the pool, even though she doesn't have kids. One
included an alarm that could not be disabled, a fence and some other things.
You might call the pool company to see what they have.

It's very good that you are concerned. The neighbor behind the house I grew
up in had a pool. I went away to school and it seemed that every time I
came back to visit, I hear that a child had drowned. Actually, two kids
drowned on separate occasions. The second time, the city made them take out
the pool.

The most important thing is if you can't find your child, check the pool
first.

Old April 7th 04, 06:06 PM
Jill

"Lizajane" wrote
How can I ease my anxious mind about this stupid pool??

I don't know what to tell you-- I'd feel the same way you do, and I grew up
in a house with a pool that sounds similar. My childhood home had a pool-
you'd go out the back door and down porch steps and there was an inground
pool- shallow end 3 feet deep, deep end of 8 feet. There was a short
chainlink fence around the pool area, and then a small yard and then a tall
privacy fence around the outer yard.

We never had any problems whatsoever. The pool was put in after my brother
was grown a bit, but was put in when I was about 1-2 years old. I don't
remember what my mom did to keep me out of there- I was supervised a lot,
and I believe we also had a gate at the top of the porch stairs so if I did
get out I wouldn't be able to get down to the pool. Also, there were chains
up high on our doors inside the house so that even if a toddler could manage
to unlock and open the door, the chain would stop them from being able to
get out, and was too high for them to climb on something and reach. So that
may be something you can do, install chains on your house doors so your son
can't get out of the house during the times he may escape supervision. Other
than that, tons of supervision!

I was put in the pool from the time we had it- I was always suprvised very
well, and I never had any formal swimming lessons. My mom spent a lot of
time with us in the pool because she liked to lie out in the sun (bad, I
know!!)- until I could swim I wore floaties on my arms and innertubes and
other things to hold onto. But always, I was supervised, and never allowed
to swim alone, and someone was always within arm's reach when I was little
and when a little older, just a few steps away.

It will be good for your son to be exposed to water. My husband grew up on
the coast and was NEVER taken to the ocean or a pool!, and he can't swim. I
worry about him, he goes fishing and boating a lot. It's SO much harder to
teach an adult to swim than a kid. I am determined to have my daughter
around water from a young age for this reason..my husband sinks like a fish
and is still afraid to even dunk his head under water, and I swim like a
fish. Also when exposing your son to water it would be good idea to have him
wear a lifejacket, too, even while supervised, so he can get used to making
swimming motions with it on first, and practice putting his face in the
water very gradually.

Old April 7th 04, 06:12 PM
Karen

In some of the kid safety type catalogues, I've seen an alarm thing that
floats in the pool, so that if anything of a certain force or weight or
whatever disturbs the surface of the water, the alarm goes off. I
wouldn't rely only on that, but use it as part of the plan.

And I'd stick to my guns with your dh and make that pool as safe as you
feel is necessary, especially if you're the one home with your child all
the time having to worry every moment of your life, or if your child is
home with an alternate caregiver all day.

I saw a thing on tv one time, 60 Minutes maybe, about there being some
thought that really early swim training is not safer, but rather more
dangerous. The point was that with really little kids, in most classes
they were being taught and able to retain and undertsand very little
that actually related to swimming in a way that would keep them alive,
and that instead, it gave them a false sense of confidence around water
and could cause more problems than it would avoid. The kids really
thought they were swimming, really thought they actually knew how to
swim, but when you saw what they were doing, they really, really did
not. It did make some sense to both dh and I.

Ds is nearly 4 and we haven't done any formal lessons with him yet, but
I imagine we will when he's a couple years older. It's hard for me to
say though, I'm really not much of a swimmer myself. Ds is with me most
of the time, and I tend to sign him up more for preschool type
activities, music, dance, etc. Despite repeated attempts at formal
swimming lessons, I never really learned how to swim properly. I told dh
that swimming is his job and his decision to make. He's the California
boy, grew up with a pool and going to the beach, so if he thinks it's
important for ds to learn to swim, then it's his job to make that
happen.I don't really enjoy a pool or the beach anyway, all that sand
and bathing suits and all that are kind of annoying to me. I'd rather be
out in the woods or tromping around some foggy moor in a good pair of
boots and a big woolly sweater.

-Karen, mom to Henry 3 3/4 and someone due 4/24/04-

Old April 7th 04, 06:32 PM
Nikki

Vicky Bilaniuk wrote:

They never let the kids out in the yard alone if there is no
fence right around the pool

I'd go stark raving mad if I couldn't let my kids out the back door alone
;-)

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old April 7th 04, 06:45 PM
Nikki

Lizajane wrote:

What are some other ways to make the pool extremely
inaccessible?

If it were me I'd stick to my guns about getting an adequate fence and gate
with lock. I compromise on a lot of things but if there is a safety thing I
feel strongly about, I pick that thing to dig my heels in on.

I'm big on baby proofing though. I like to take a shower with out locking
the child in the bathroom with me rather then have the perfectly landscaped
back yard, conveniently placed poisons, or heirloom china on display ;-).

Also, I have heard so many different positions about early swim
lessons. I would like to get lessons for DS this summer, just to get
him comfortable in the water, then when he reaches the age of 4, REAL
swim lessons.

I don't think it would make any difference with the pool safety situation.
If you take the baby in the pool a lot he'll probably get familiar with the
water and enjoy it and I think that is basically what the toddler lessons
are for. The toddler lessons were good for me as a parent because they
showed me how to teach all kinds of things (like back floating, how to hold
the kid, how to help them get in safely from the edge etc.). Hunter took
swimming lessons at 4. He has *no* idea how to swim yet but he had a good
time :-)

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old April 7th 04, 06:46 PM
toypup

"Vicky Bilaniuk" wrote in message
.. .
I know people who have easily accessible pools, with kids. They've had
no problems. They just make sure that the kids know not to go near the
pool (I know one girl who had two babies in the same house with a pool,
and she had no problems teaching them right from the start).

While it's good to teach children not to go near the pool unsupervised,
children are known to forget or disobey. Teaching them to stay away from
the pool is only one layer of safety. I'd hate to rely solely on a
toddler's obedience to keep him safe, no matter how obedient he usually is.
It only takes one tragic moment.