The Very Hungry Caterpillar Goes to the Fair (and the Pediatrician)

Old September 26th 03, 04:30 AM
Phoebe & Allyson

Default The Very Hungry Caterpillar Goes to the Fair (and the Pediatrician)

Our get to know you visit with the potential new
pediatrician was less than a mile from the fair, and I'd
picked up free passes to get in today (opening day), so we
had a very full evening.

New pediatrician was referred to us by a lot of sources -
she was featured in a newspaper article on the use of
osteopathic manipulation to reduce antibiotic use in kids
with recurrent ear infections, then my mom met her at a
National Association of Women Business Owners meeting and
brought me a brochure, I found out from the brochure that
the other ped in her practice group goes to my church, and
it turns out she got her undergrad degree from the same
school I did.

We really liked her. She's got a couple of two mom families
in her practice, recommends delaying solids "as long as
possible" for potentially allergic babies, thinks trying to
figure out if Caterpillar's eczema is related to my diet is
a great idea, and thinks that whatever is limiting her range
of motion in her neck might be stressing her enough to make
the eczema worse (and that she can fix it!). (Caterpillar's
always preferred turning her head to one side, but her
ability to turn it to the other seems to be worsening. If
she's put down sleeping on her tummy with her head turned to
one side, she sleeps on her ear. On the other side, she
sleeps on her nose and cheek.)

So we're switching to her practice, and both feel really
good about it.

On to the fair. This is the Tulsa State Fair, which has
enough stuff to keep me occupied for a full day or two. But
we were going primarily for bad-for-you fair food, so we
only stayed a few hours. Met up with my parents, then went
to see one of our clients perform with her singing group.
Split off from my parents, and wandered about randomly
eating whatever we fancied. Caterpillar was too busy
looking to eat much, but was willing to do her nursing in a
new position - sitting up in the sling.

Allyson cut her finger, and the pregnant EMT in the first
aid trailer asked a bunch of questions about the sling. She
had seen Maya Wraps on the 'net, and wanted to know whether
what I was wearing (a Nojo) was similar. So I pulled the
MamaBaby out of our bag and demonstrated the differences,
including nursing in sling (at her request). Caterpillar
sat happily through 3 or 4 different positions before we
left. Both of the slings got lots of comments from
passersby - I saw two or three babies in front packs, and
one in a backpack, but no other slings.

So a fine time was had by all. We'll probably go back for
2-for-1 night. I'd been planning to leave Caterpillar with
her Ah-mah, but it was so easy to have her with us that we
may take her with us.

Phoebe

--
yahoo address is unread - substitute mailbolt