Caterpillar has a cold

Old November 23rd 03, 10:34 PM
Phoebe & Allyson

Default Caterpillar has a cold

Elaine wrote:

You can tell Ah-mah that it's all grandpa's fault. He came
and gave me his cold this weekend.

Really? We figured she'd picked it up from library
storytime, but she was at Grandpa's in the right time frame.

I was at Walmart today getting more baby Tylenol, and asked
the pharmacist for a recommendation. Caterpillar was right
there, looking well except for dome dry crusty bits under
her nose. I described her symptoms - clear runny nose,
productive cough due to postnasal drip, none of it bothering
her one bit - and asked what, if anything, he'd recommend.
He picked the bottle of children's (not infants') Benadryl
cold with the most ingredients, and told me to give her 1/4
tsp of it. Along with plenty of water and juice. After I
told him she wasn't quite 6 months. You get what you pay
for, I guess.

We're going with sitting in a hot steamy bathroom morning
and night, Tylenol for discomfort (she woke up crying every
couple of hours last night, even though she seemed to be
breathing fine), and a vaporizer for the bedroom. And the
much-hated nose-sucker (which we got a short-snouted version
of, in case she'll hate it less).

I'll call the pediatrician Monday to ask if they think
pseudoephedrine is a good idea, and if so, what the right
dosage for her weight is. Since her cough isn't the dry
hacking cough I associate with the need for
dextromethorphan, and everything is liquid enough that she
doesn't need an expectorant, I'll pass on the cough syrup.

Phoebe
--
yahoo address is unread - substitute mailbolt

Old November 24th 03, 02:41 AM
Elaine

In article , Phoebe & Allyson wrote:
Elaine wrote:

You can tell Ah-mah that it's all grandpa's fault. He came
and gave me his cold this weekend.

Really? We figured she'd picked it up from library
storytime, but she was at Grandpa's in the right time frame.

Yup - he was complaining about a cold, and Simon and I both
woke up with post-nasal drip on Sunday.

I was at Walmart today getting more baby Tylenol, and asked
the pharmacist for a recommendation.

He isn't a pharmacist, but Simon suggests that *you* take
lots of vitamin C. Caterpillar should get it through your
breastmilk. No known upper limit, but too much will cause
loose stools. I've been popping vitamin C all day, and I'm
feeling better now. We've got no idea if zinc would do her
any good via breastmilk. This advice comes with a 30-day
money back guarantee.

Elaine
Old November 24th 03, 09:45 AM
Kyla

--Not medical advice--my ped had me giving children's benadryl to my DD at
2mos. Same amount, with lots of fluids. So, it's not completely unheard
of. He is the 4th ped we have been to, and are very pleased with him; he is
very reluctant to give children of any age medicine, usually opting for more
natural remedies, or to let the body's own defenses take their course.

I did it, and it didn't seem to hurt her, but didn't seem to help, either,
so I stopped after only two or three doses.

I personally wouldn't bother giving a baby medicine unless they were having
trouble nursing or sleeping. I would sometimes sit with my beans as infants
in a steamy bathroom with the shower going, and use the bulb syringe to
clear 'em out before bedtime (we call ours a "booger snotter" ;o). To it
wasn't very pleasant for them, they always got a good night sleep out of it,
and much cheaper and easier than a humidifier )

Hope your baby is feeling better soon)
--
Kyla @Hippobottomus.com
Mama to Isaac(3) & Ash(20mo)

snip

Old November 24th 03, 12:18 PM
teapot

Phoebe & Allyson wrote in message ...
She was a little stuffy for the last day or two, and now has
a runny nose. She's been coughing because of all the drool
collecting in her throat, but now she's coughing more
because her nose is draining.

Ah-mah says it's because we don't dress her warmly enough
and don't change her the moment she gets drool on her
clothes, and wants to know why we aren't giving her
medicine. (Is there any medicine you could even give a 5
month old? No fever, she's not so stuffy she has trouble
nursing, and the only thing that bothers her is me wiping
her nose.) Of course, this is the same Ah-mah who let her
put her hand in yogurt this morning, even though Ah-mah
knows she's allergic to milk...

Phoebe

Me and the Moo too! He is very blocked up but I shove saline solution
(1/2 tsp salt to 500ml water) up his nose every now and then. He's so
good about it and it does help. The health visitor said you can stroke
down from either side of the nose to the corners of the mouth to help
it drain. She also suggested the smelly stuff you can get to put in a
burner - oil of olibas I think.

Hope the hungry one is better soon

teapot
Old November 24th 03, 05:34 PM
Sandi

"Dawn Lawson" wrote in message

Sandi wrote:

"Phoebe & Allyson" wrote in message
(Is there any medicine you could even give a 5

month old? No fever, she's not so stuffy she has trouble
nursing, and the only thing that bothers her is me wiping
her nose.)

Phoebe
--
yahoo address is unread - substitute mailbolt

Our ped told us to use PediaCare. They make one for stuffy nose & one

for
stuffy nose plus cough. It is just psuedoephedrine, no Tylenol or

anything
else in it. You might check that out.

There *must* be something else in the "stuffy nose and cough" formula or
they wouldn't be able to market it different, afaik.

(FWIW, buying two separate products makes more sense than buying a mixed
product, because you can use only what you "need".)

You're right. I didn't even think about the *extra* medicine in the cough
formula one. I've always just used the stuffy nose one myself. Sorry about
that! I should pay more attention to what I'm doing, huh? I'll just blame
it on pregnancy brain!

--
Sandi
Mommy to Abby, 3

Old November 24th 03, 08:37 PM
Andrea

Elaine wrote:

[...]

I am sorry to hear about Caterpillars cold ( and hope she's better soon.

All 5 of my kids and myself and DH are down with a flu-type virus, it's the
worst we've ever had. Joey who is 2, is having nosebleeds from coughing &
sneezing so hard and for so long. We sit in the bathroom with the shower on
hot, soon fills up with steam and give
temporary relief to us all!

--
Andrea mom of 5 - latest addition Kamron David 5 months 20lbs

Old November 24th 03, 09:33 PM
Phoebe & Allyson

Kyla wrote:

my ped had me giving children's benadryl to my DD

Ours says based on her symptoms, to try Infant's PediaCare
decongestant (baby Sudafed - all it's got in it is
pseudoephedrine), plus an ounce of water in a bottle or
sippy cup up to 3 times a day because the medicine is so
drying. No need to bring her in unless she's running a fever.

So far, she's been happy and unstuffed, so no results to
report yet. Last night she only had trouble when the heat
came on (even if I set the thermostat to 60, our room is
close to 80 with 3 people and no northern exposure), and I
just flung her upright over my shoulder when I went to turn
the heat back off. She went right back to sleep when we got
back into bed.

Phoebe
--
yahoo address is unread - substitute mailbolt