Dodge Caravan LATCH question

Old November 7th 04, 12:00 AM
Jcolangelo11

Default Dodge Caravan LATCH question

Hi All -

Anyone here know about the 2002 Dodge Caravan? Wifey and I bought one used and
the third row seat doesn't have any LATCH hooks on it. Does anyone know if
this is an option or even available at all for this particular model?

Thanks,
JC
Old November 7th 04, 01:31 AM
Ericka Kammerer

Jcolangelo11 wrote:

Hi All -

Anyone here know about the 2002 Dodge Caravan? Wifey and I bought one used and
the third row seat doesn't have any LATCH hooks on it. Does anyone know if
this is an option or even available at all for this particular model?

I don't know about this specific model, but in my experience
I've never seen a minivan with LATCH attachments in the third row.
That doesn't mean it doesn't exist, as I haven't surveyed every
minivan out there, but my hunch is that it's probably not standard
or even a standard option. I don't know if you'd be able to have
them custom fitted.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old November 7th 04, 03:11 AM
Unadulterated Me

Jcolangelo11 wrote:

Hi All -

Anyone here know about the 2002 Dodge Caravan? Wifey and I bought one used and
the third row seat doesn't have any LATCH hooks on it. Does anyone know if
this is an option or even available at all for this particular model?

Thanks,
JC

I thought this was going to be a trollish post about getting a caravan
to latch onto the breast lol

Andrea
Old November 7th 04, 04:08 AM
Phoebe & Allyson

Jcolangelo11 wrote:
Anyone here know about the 2002 Dodge Caravan? Wifey and I bought
one used and the third row seat doesn't have any LATCH hooks on it.

We have a 2002 Caravan, and none of the versions of it that we looked at had
3rd row LATCH. IIRC, the 3rd row shoulder belts also don't lock, so you
need a locking clip.

Phoebe
--
yahoo address is unread; substitute gmail

Old November 7th 04, 09:28 AM
Mum of Two

"Unadulterated Me" wrote in message
Jcolangelo11 wrote:

Hi All -

Anyone here know about the 2002 Dodge Caravan? Wifey and I bought one
used and
the third row seat doesn't have any LATCH hooks on it. Does anyone know
if
this is an option or even available at all for this particular model?

Thanks,
JC

I thought this was going to be a trollish post about getting a caravan to
latch onto the breast lol

LOL....in one of those psychiatric word association tests, most people would
probably say "door" in response to the word "latch". I'll forever think
"breast".

--
Amy,
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,

Old November 7th 04, 03:00 PM
Mary W.

Ericka Kammerer wrote:
Jcolangelo11 wrote:

Hi All -

Anyone here know about the 2002 Dodge Caravan? Wifey and I bought one
used and
the third row seat doesn't have any LATCH hooks on it. Does anyone
know if
this is an option or even available at all for this particular model?

I don't know about this specific model, but in my experience
I've never seen a minivan with LATCH attachments in the third row.
That doesn't mean it doesn't exist, as I haven't surveyed every
minivan out there, but my hunch is that it's probably not standard
or even a standard option. I don't know if you'd be able to have
them custom fitted.

Our 2001 Town and country (which I thought was exactly
the same as the Grand Caravan), has LATCH attachments
at all three spots in the third row. It also has 3
tether anchors. DH says the attachments are kind of
hard to see. FWIW.

Mary

Old November 7th 04, 06:39 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Mary W. wrote:

I don't know about this specific model, but in my experience
I've never seen a minivan with LATCH attachments in the third row.
That doesn't mean it doesn't exist, as I haven't surveyed every
minivan out there, but my hunch is that it's probably not standard
or even a standard option. I don't know if you'd be able to have
them custom fitted.

Our 2001 Town and country (which I thought was exactly
the same as the Grand Caravan), has LATCH attachments
at all three spots in the third row. It also has 3
tether anchors. DH says the attachments are kind of
hard to see. FWIW.

Wow, I'm impressed. Most sedans don't even have
three LATCH attachments across the back seat (what a
pain for those who want to put their carseat in the
center seat!).

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old November 7th 04, 11:24 PM
Leanne

Wow, I'm impressed. Most sedans don't even have
three LATCH attachments across the back seat (what a
pain for those who want to put their carseat in the
center seat!).

really?! in Aus all new cars have three points across the backseat... i
guess that could also have something to do with having one of the toughest
safety standards for our baby seats in the world.

--
Leanne
--------------------------------

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/lst...ycXACBNCUuF54J

Old November 8th 04, 12:37 AM
Ericka Kammerer

Leanne wrote:

Wow, I'm impressed. Most sedans don't even have
three LATCH attachments across the back seat (what a
pain for those who want to put their carseat in the
center seat!).

really?! in Aus all new cars have three points across the backseat... i
guess that could also have something to do with having one of the toughest
safety standards for our baby seats in the world.

US law, at least, requires that there be a certain distance
between lower anchors for safety reasons. Most cars do not have
enough room to provide the required distance between three sets
of anchors. US law requires at least two sets of anchors in the
back seats, so every car/van has those. Minivans can, of course,
include anchors in the third row, but I think manufacturers
think most people put carseats in the middle row where they're
easier to get to and few people have so many kids in carseats
that they'd need more attachments than in the middle row, so
I don't know that it's seen as a huge problem by most that
there aren't LATCH anchors in the back row. Also, some minivans
aren't set up to have a tether anchor in the back row, which
nixes the LATCH thing.
I just think that it's a pain that the center rear
seat is considered safest, but with a law requiring two
LATCH equipped seating positions and a required minimum
separation, it's not possible in most cars to have a LATCH
equipped center rear seat. You can, obviously, still use
the seatbelt to attach the carseat in the center rear seat.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old November 8th 04, 01:04 AM
Kelly

I agree, that is impressive and fortunate! I thought that the Baby Bargains
book mentioned something about no car having LATCH or Tether before 1996.

Kelly

Kids should work... bobb General 108 December 15th 03 03:23 PM
| | Kids should work... Kane Spanking 12 December 10th 03 02:30 AM
Kids should work. ChrisScaife Foster Parents 16 December 7th 03 04:27 AM
And again he strikes........ Doan strikes ...... again! was Kids should work... Kane General 2 December 6th 03 03:28 AM
And again he strikes........ Doan strikes ...... again! was Kids should work... Kane Foster Parents 2 December 6th 03 03:28 AM