Bad vaccine reaction

Old August 21st 03, 05:58 AM
chiam margalit

Default Bad vaccine reaction

My 11 yr old son had to have a Tetanus shot in order to enter school
in the fall. It's a state requirement and they let me go all last year
without the shot, but we were told in no uncertain terms that he HAD
to have the vaccination before the first day of school this year or he
would not be admitted.

So I took him to the ped and we got what is known as the Td shot, for
tetanus and diphtheria. I guess you can't get a single tetanus shot,
because this is what they had, and it was take it or leave it. We took
it.

His arm really hurt him all day, but he struggled against the shot and
didn't relax his arm at all, and he's so skinny that he swears the
nurse hit the bone, and it's not without possibility. But... the next
day he awoke with a fever of 102, a horrible headache, and really felt
terrible the entire day. He even put himself to bed at 9 pm, which is
unheard of, after sleeping most of the day away.

I read the pink instructions provided by the pediatrician from the CDC
and nowhere on the entire paper does it say fever is a possible side
affect of this shot. So I called the CDC, who told me to call my
pediatrician to have her report this reaction to VAER (Vaccine Adverse
Event Reporting), as it was catagorized as an 'unusual' reaction,
possible an allergic reaction.

My pediatrician wasn't very encouraging and thought he might have some
other bug that just hit on the same day as the shot. This is indeed
possible since his sister had a fever earlier in the week and was sick
as a dog for one day. But the ped didn't know this.

I'm confused. The CDC seemed to think that this was important enough
to file a report, but my pediatrician didn't think so. I really don't
know what to think. I'm not happy that this kid is so sick, and I do
believe it is the shot because his symptoms are not at all like his
sisters earlier in the week.

I'm also unhappy that the adverse reactions listed on the pink sheet
do not mention fever or severe headache, both of which he has, and
both of which the CDC consultant did agree were side affects.

We have never had any adverse reactions to any vaccine previously, and
my kids are all caught up on every single possible shot. I'm concerned
that the tenanus wasn't the issue, the diphtheria was indeed the
issue, and he wasn't even supposed to get this shot.

Does anyone know anything about this particular vaccination and does
anyone have any experience with reporting adverse reactions to the
CDC?

Thanks in advance,

Marjorie
Old August 21st 03, 01:28 PM
Jeff Utz

The arm soreness after a shot is common. The fever and headache aren't. I
think your pediatrician is right that most likely it was a virus or
something unrelated to the vaccine. However, the idea of VAERS (Vaccine
Adverse Event Reporting System) is not to report things that the
pediatrician thinks are related to the vaccine. The idea of VAERS is to
report anything adverse that *MIGHT* be related to the vaccine, even if the
pediatrician thinks it isn't. That way, when there are reactions that
pediatricians think are unrelated to the vaccine, the folks at the FDA and
CDC are more likely to figure that these are reactions and not coincidence.

That is why the word "event" is used in the title (as opposed to
"reaction'). It implies an adverse event that may or may not be related to
the vaccine occurred. If the CDC and other authorities don't know an adverse
event occurred, there is no way to track them to see if they are related to
the vaccine or not.

So your pediatrician was wrong for not reporting the event. I would call the
pediatrician's office and tell them that you want them to report the event
to VAERS immediately and that you want a copy of the report. If they refuse,
ask for the vaccine type, Manufacturer, Lot number, Route/Site/ No. of
previous doses so you can report it yourself. Also, you will want to the
same information for any vaccine given 4 weeks prior the dT vaccination.

http://www.fda.gov/cber/vaers/vaers.htm
http://www.cdc.gov/nip/vacsafe/conce...pB/fdatest.htm

Jeff

om...

Old August 21st 03, 06:33 PM
Ali's Daddie

"chiam margalit" wrote in message
om...
| My 11 yr old son had to have a Tetanus shot in order to enter school
| in the fall. It's a state requirement and they let me go all last year
| without the shot, but we were told in no uncertain terms that he HAD
| to have the vaccination before the first day of school this year or he
| would not be admitted.

I thought that here in the states it was not a requirement. I understand
that at least some shots are the hepatitis shot for instance. But to force a
parent to have their child vaccinated? Seems rather barbaric to me...

Don't misunderstand, I am planning on having Alegra get all of her shots
when the time arrives. But I would be very upset if someone told me I had to
or else...

I have been reading a lot of reports out of the UK and just recently 2
mothers lost a large court battle. Their ex husbands wanted the children to
have shots. The mothers did not. Although both mothers had full custody of
the children in question, the court sided with the fathers.

For some people, it is a belief that rivals religion. They simply do not
want their child vaccinated... Usually due to the possibility of side
effects and adverse reactions.

Anyway, I guess I was just wondering what the law is here in the US. Is it
really mandatory? What happens if it is known that someone will be allergic
to one vaccine?

Guess that is another reason I refuse to have my child go to public
schools... I hate the idea of someone having their head up my ass about
everything. (sorry, that is a family expression lol)

--
LES!

Daddie to Alegra Lee. May 25th 2003!
"Daddie's Little Diva"

To send me an email, please remove your hat

Old August 21st 03, 09:47 PM
Brandy Kurtz

"Ali's Daddie" wrote in message ...
"chiam margalit" wrote in message
om...
| My 11 yr old son had to have a Tetanus shot in order to enter school
| in the fall. It's a state requirement and they let me go all last year
| without the shot, but we were told in no uncertain terms that he HAD
| to have the vaccination before the first day of school this year or he
| would not be admitted.

I thought that here in the states it was not a requirement. I understand
that at least some shots are the hepatitis shot for instance. But to force a
parent to have their child vaccinated? Seems rather barbaric to me...

Don't misunderstand, I am planning on having Alegra get all of her shots
when the time arrives. But I would be very upset if someone told me I had to
or else...

I have been reading a lot of reports out of the UK and just recently 2
mothers lost a large court battle. Their ex husbands wanted the children to
have shots. The mothers did not. Although both mothers had full custody of
the children in question, the court sided with the fathers.

For some people, it is a belief that rivals religion. They simply do not
want their child vaccinated... Usually due to the possibility of side
effects and adverse reactions.

Anyway, I guess I was just wondering what the law is here in the US. Is it
really mandatory? What happens if it is known that someone will be allergic
to one vaccine?

Guess that is another reason I refuse to have my child go to public
schools... I hate the idea of someone having their head up my ass about
everything. (sorry, that is a family expression lol)

it all depends on the school district your child will be going to.
Last year ours required the chicken pox shot too.

Brandy
Old August 22nd 03, 01:32 AM
toto

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 11:33:49 -0600, "Ali's Daddie"
wrote:

Anyway, I guess I was just wondering what the law is here in the US. Is it
really mandatory? What happens if it is known that someone will be allergic
to one vaccine?

We just went through the medical forms with the nurse from public
health today. It's very confusing, but... in order to enter a
childcare center or school, children must have had all their
shots on the schedule the state follows.

In Illinois

Children must have the DPT vaccinations.
Chicken pox must be completed unless the child has had the disease
and that has to be certified by an MD (only for children who enter
school after July 1, 2002, though)
They must have measles, mumps, rubella (combined vacine or separate)
They must have polio (oral or inactive)

Recommended are Hep B and pneumonoccal (HIB) but these are not
required.
TB tests are required on first entrance.
Lead tests are required in any area considered high risk and that can
include whole towns or just neighborhoods.

The new medical form we have to check is confusing to read, but
hopefully the pediatricians know what they are doing and their nurses
fill it out properly.

--
Dorothy

Outer Limits
Old August 22nd 03, 06:54 AM
chiam margalit

Courtney wrote in message ...
In article ,
says...

Anyway, I guess I was just wondering what the law is here in the US. Is it
really mandatory? What happens if it is known that someone will be allergic
to one vaccine?

All states allow for a medical exemption, all but Mississippi and West
Virginia allow for a religious exemption, and others also allow for a
philosophical exemption as well.

I hear a lot of people saying they were "forced" to do something like
vaxes when their state had even philosophical exemptions, but they just
didn't do their homework.

Sigh. I just love it when people make these snide comments about
parents "not doing their homework" when it comes to vaccinations.
Especially since the child in question is 11 YEARS old (not months)
and I've certainly questioned many of the required shots and am about
as well read on the issue of vaccinations as one can be outside of the
medical profession. Didn't you get that hint when I mentioned calling
the CDC and asking for the VAIRS reporting. I mean, wasn't that a
pretty strong clue?

As for your claims, you're dead wrong. Sorry, but unless you work for
the CDC and know the laws of every single school district in the US, I
highly doubt you know what you're talking about. My state has certain
requirements. My county has other requirements, and our school
district has yet other requirements. Some of these are because we have
a *huge* population of foreign born students from countries with
non-regulated vaccination programs.

Because I am not a Jehovah's Witness or a Christian Scientist, I do
not fall under the religious exemption clause our state mandates. We
do not have philosophical exemptions in my state. Those were done away
with after the measles epidemic in the late 90's that caused a huge
amount of panic and actual disease. Kids got sick because of
'philosophical' idealization of the apparent irradication of measles
in the US. Those parents were wrong. Measles do crop up if children
aren't vaccinated.

Since my son has had all of his vaccinations without incident up to
this point, we could not get a medical exemption, especially since he
is not allergic to eggs, the main reason for (known) medical
exemptions.

So.... that leaves your claims in the dust.

Thanks so much for your comments.

Marjorie, mom to one very sick little boy
Old August 22nd 03, 12:46 PM
Joy Belle

Marjorie,
Would you mind detailing the symptoms of your son's reaction? Does he
have just a fever and headaches or is he having other issues as well?
I'm just very interested in knowing what his reaction is because I also
believe I had a reaction to this shot when I was 18. A doctor did not
confirm it (in fact, at the time, I was belittled and basically told I
was an idiot), but it would be interesting to me to see if your son's
reaction is similar to what I experienced.

I hope your son feels better soon.

Joy

http://community.webtv.net/joybelle15/ROSESCLUBFOOTPAGE

Old August 22nd 03, 09:34 PM
Donna Metler

"chiam margalit" wrote in message
om...
Courtney wrote in message

In article ,
says...

[...]

Unfortunately, this is how it is in TN. I would suggest getting a medical
statement on this reaction, since at least here, a statement on an adverse
reaction allows the child to be exempted.

I don't think many states still allow philosophical excemptions, and
religious ones are scrutinized pretty closely.