constant vomiting

Old January 27th 04, 03:44 PM
Jess

Default constant vomiting

Hi- I am in my 10th week (first pregnancy) and have been vomiting now
since week 6. My doctor prescribed phenergan, which slows it down so
I don't need IV fluids and am at home, but doesn't stop it. I haven't
been able to work or do much of anything but lie around and feel
miserable. please tell me this gets better
Old January 27th 04, 03:52 PM
Donna

"Jess" wrote in message
om...
Hi- I am in my 10th week (first pregnancy) and have been vomiting now
since week 6. My doctor prescribed phenergan, which slows it down so
I don't need IV fluids and am at home, but doesn't stop it. I haven't
been able to work or do much of anything but lie around and feel
miserable. please tell me this gets better

Oh, Jess, that's awful. Not only does it get better, but if you are among
the vast majority, it will get better very soon. You're almost at the end
of this (most likely). If it helps, I will swear that the morning-sickness
part of the first trimester is the most miserable time of pregnancy. Once
you get through this, it's all much, much easier.

Congratulations, by the way. This whole pregnancy thing will feel like a
much better idea once you aren't throwing up, I promise.

Donna (sympathetically)

Old January 27th 04, 04:33 PM
Jody Pellerin

Soon, you'll be out of that first trimester and hopefully over the vomiting.
Certain things do trigger morning sickness more then others. For me, certain
smells and foods made me nauseas. I can't say it will go away for sure, my
cousin was sick the whole time with one of her pregnancies. But everybody
and every pregnancy is different. As each baby in each pregnancy is
different. The most common thing I was told was to eat crackers before you
even get out of bed when you wake up. It's a good recommendation. Don't let
yourself get hungry to the point you will feel sick. Numerous small meals
instead of like three big ones each day should also help you. And mainly,
try to ignore it when you feel like you're going to throw up. Concentrate
very hard on something else till it passes. Also, try getting fresh air and
if possible go for a walk. It may help you. Good luck and congratulations on
your pregnancy. I was in that first horrible trimester not too long ago
myself and it's also my first pregnancy. I know how you feel
om...

Old January 27th 04, 08:00 PM
Jill

"Jess" wrote in message
om...
Hi- I am in my 10th week (first pregnancy) and have been vomiting now
since week 6. My doctor prescribed phenergan

Great if phenergan works for you- it didn't work at all for me. If it seems
like you want something that may work better than phenergan, ask your doctor
about Zofran. That worked for me- it didn't stop the sick feeling but it did
stop me from vomiting a lot. I was severely morning sick for an entire 5
months! Zofran is very expensive so if it isn't covered by insurance and
phenergan is working ok for you, you may not want to try it for that reason.

I never found anything to really help my nausea. There were only like 3
foods I could keep down, It helps to keep something on your stomach at all
times, just a little bit of food, not a lot, but don't let your stomach get
empty. Carbonated drinks sometimes helped me- it changed frquently to what I
could keep down at the moment. Sometimes Coke, other times something else.
50mg of Vitamin B6 taken 3 times a day helped a LOT.

Old January 27th 04, 08:15 PM
Cam & Shane

Hi Jess

It DOES get better!!!!!!!

I know just how you feel - nothing I did stopped me from vomiting and being
stuck at home with my bucket was not good for mental stimulation. The last
time I threw up was at 14 weeks and things have been improving all the time
since then. I'm now 24 weeks and back at work - people tell me I'm speaking
way too fast and I have to explain that I've been isolated for 3 months and
I'm just soooo excited to be out with real people. What helped me was
friends and family that would just keep me company. Another lady in this
group said to concentrate on the miracle you are making - that helped too.

There is hope and you will be able eat again

Good luck
Camille

Old January 29th 04, 06:30 PM
Jess

Thanks everyone. Strangely, I had one really good morning this week,
and then it got worse again. I'm trying the Zofran now- it is
expensive but at this point I don't much care. It really helps to
hear it should end soon. My husband also has a very good point- we've
been trying for a while to have a baby- and in some ways he says it is
a good thing it took so long. If I had gotten pregnant easily, all
this vomiting might seem much worse.
Old January 29th 04, 11:56 PM
Chotii

"Jess" wrote in message
om...
Thanks everyone. Strangely, I had one really good morning this week,
and then it got worse again. I'm trying the Zofran now- it is
expensive but at this point I don't much care. It really helps to
hear it should end soon. My husband also has a very good point- we've
been trying for a while to have a baby- and in some ways he says it is
a good thing it took so long. If I had gotten pregnant easily, all
this vomiting might seem much worse.

I don't know about that. My last pregnancy was totally unplanned and (at the
time) resented and unwanted, and yes, I guess you could say I got pregnant
easily (because we were trying to avoid it!). I was so sick I couldn't keep
water down, and went on Zofran, and was unable to wean myself off of it
fully until around 34 weeks. I must say it didn't help with the resentment,
but I don't see how you can feel good about feeling sick and throwing up all
the time, even if you knew going *in* that it would be like that (which you
couldn't).

Sick is sick. Sick sucks pretty bad. Zofran is a good thing if it helps you.
That's all I have to say.

--angela

Constant sniffing Laur? General 6 June 14th 04 09:13 PM
Constant fighting among young brothers MayflowerMomOf4 General 6 June 11th 04 10:23 PM
constant crying Melanie N General 26 May 18th 04 01:54 PM
projectile vomiting toypup General 4 April 12th 04 02:53 AM
Regular vomiting in 1 y/o (graphic) Ilse Witch General 2 September 10th 03 05:08 PM