Homework over spring break (long)

Old April 13th 04, 02:26 PM
Robyn Kozierok

Default Homework over spring break (long)

In article ,
dragonlady wrote:

This is made more challenging by the fact that the holidays move around
on the secular calendar. It's quite easy for even most Jews to miss
the fact that a certain secular date is going to wind up conflicting
with a major holiday more than a few weeks before the date.

When you live in an area that is seriously multi-ethnic and
multi-religious, things get interesting. I try to have all of the major
Jewish, Christian and Islamic holidays on my Palm Pilot, but somehow a
bunch got dropped off when I bought a new one.

Well, you're doing better than I am, then. Although I do have a
Jewish calendar at home, of course, and do have access to the
information on the internet, it is not uncommon to hear things like
"When is Rosh Hashanah this year?" uttered in our home and in our
religious community. We all have the wherewithall to find out, but we
don't always have the information at hand. I put the holidays into my
Palm only sporadically, and not usually more than a few months ahead of
time. I believe there is freeware/shareware out there to help out with
this, but I haven't gotten around to downloading any. (Partly because
I have to use a custom conduit to sync my datebook to my employer's
calendar/meeting system, and am afraid to mess with it.)

I myself made an appointment for my son during Passover, even when I
knew exactly when it was. I was trying to fit it into all of our usual
weekday scheduling insanity, and totally forgot about Passover for a
moment. I did realize about 15 minutes later and called back and
changed it, but I have to agree with you that something like this could
easily be no more than an unintentional slip-up.

I agree, that in an ideal world, teachers with Jewish students in their
classes should make sure to be sensitive and find out from the families
what special needs/restrictions will arise from their religion, but I
don't think we can expect or even want teachers to try to figure this
out on their own when observances vary from family to family. No major
tests on Yom Kippur is probably a pretty universally good idea where
there are Jewish families. Expecting a teacher to realize in advance
that, for example, internet usage would be a problem for observant
Jewish families on the last two days of Passover might asking a bit much.

Robyn (mommy to Ryan 9/93 and Matthew 6/96 and Evan 3/01)
--
"Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to
work hard at work worth doing." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Old April 13th 04, 05:20 PM
beeswing

Robyn wrote:

expecting a teacher to realize in advance
that, for example, internet usage would be a problem for observant
Jewish families on the last two days of Passover might asking a bit much.

How about expecting a teacher to realize in advance that public libraries would
be closed on Easter Sunday and, therefore, having a report due the very next
day isn't the best plan? Or that many students would be celebrating a major
holiday with their families on Sunday and that turning in the report the very
next day, again, may not be the best plan?

beeswing,
whose new slogan appears to be
"I want my vacation back!"

Old April 13th 04, 05:21 PM
Splanche

I can certainly understand
a non-Jew scheduling a meeting without checking a Jewish calendar, but a
Jewish person suggesting a business meeting during a holiday time (say
Sept/Oct or March/April) without checking a calendar is just asking for
trouble.

Last week I had a lot of fun waiting to see how long it was going to take for
the local Jewish Community Federation to cancel an Executive Committee lunch
that they originally had scheduled for the 5th of April (set last June), then
moved to the 9th.
They finally cancelled on the 8th!

Old April 13th 04, 06:23 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Robyn Kozierok wrote:

*In article ,
*dragonlady wrote:
*
*When you live in an area that is seriously multi-ethnic and
*multi-religious, things get interesting. I try to have all of the major
*Jewish, Christian and Islamic holidays on my Palm Pilot, but somehow a
*bunch got dropped off when I bought a new one.
*
*don't always have the information at hand. I put the holidays into my
*Palm only sporadically, and not usually more than a few months ahead of
*time. I believe there is freeware/shareware out there to help out with
*this, but I haven't gotten around to downloading any. (Partly because
*I have to use a custom conduit to sync my datebook to my employer's
*calendar/meeting system, and am afraid to mess with it.)

You might check out pilotyid (no joke:
http://www.pilotyid.com/collection.php?cat=1 ) and see if they have
something that meets your needs. The Mac version of Palm Desktop came with
some holiday plugin-type date packs, so I'm using their "Jewish Holidays"
one, as well as their US Holidays one. They also have Islamic Holidays,
Christian Holidays, and Christian Orthodox Holidays. I would have thought
this was available in the Windows Palm Desktop as well-- ??

Old April 13th 04, 08:01 PM
Robyn Kozierok

In article ,
beeswing wrote:
Robyn wrote:

expecting a teacher to realize in advance
that, for example, internet usage would be a problem for observant
Jewish families on the last two days of Passover might asking a bit much.

How about expecting a teacher to realize in advance that public libraries would
be closed on Easter Sunday and, therefore, having a report due the very next
day isn't the best plan? Or that many students would be celebrating a major
holiday with their families on Sunday and that turning in the report the very
next day, again, may not be the best plan?

If it weren't also vacation week, I'd say that giving a week to do a
project, the last day of which was a holiday on which the library would
be closed and many families would be having major holiday celebrations
would not necessarily be unreasonable. If you hadn't been out of the
country, presumably you wouldn't have been doing your library work on
the last day. So I doubt the library issue impacted many people.
Similarly, those who weren't travelling for the vacation could have
planned their time to complete the work before their holiday celebration.

Hypothetically, if a teacher gives more than enough time to complete
the project, so that one wouldn't need to work on it every single day
to get it complete in time, then having that time include a day or two
when some children wouldn't be able to work on it, or do certain parts
of it (like the library visit) doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

In the situation you describe, it sounds like the project given was a
lot of work to expect students to complete in one week, so perhaps
my hypothetical doesn't apply. And of course, that doesn't even touch
the whole issue of giving students a BREAK from school/homework over
spring break!

Old April 13th 04, 08:04 PM
dragonlady

In article ,
(Hillary Israeli) wrote:

In ,
Robyn Kozierok wrote:

*In article ,
*dragonlady wrote:
*
[...]

I've got the Palm holidays list -- it's just that somehow, when I bought
my new palm and synced it to my old information, a bunch of holidays got
duplicated, and a bunch disappeared. (I lost Easter, for example, but
had Memorial Day in 3 times!)

I'll get it up to date now that I know stuff is missing; the problem is
that when I reload it, it will duplicate everything that's already in
there, so I have to take the time to remove the duplicates or my monthly
calendar printout starts filling up.

meh

Old April 13th 04, 09:56 PM
Banty

In article , beeswing says...

Robyn wrote:

expecting a teacher to realize in advance
that, for example, internet usage would be a problem for observant
Jewish families on the last two days of Passover might asking a bit much.

How about expecting a teacher to realize in advance that public libraries would
be closed on Easter Sunday and, therefore, having a report due the very next
day isn't the best plan? Or that many students would be celebrating a major
holiday with their families on Sunday and that turning in the report the very
next day, again, may not be the best plan?

I'm with ya on pretty much everything you've said up to this point. But I don't
think anyone is obliged to make sure the day before a due date is a good one for
research on a project. To make sure there is plenty of time and opportunity for
a task from its assignment and due date, yes. To make sure the night before has
things open for a last-minute scramble - no.

Banty (sorry, procrastinators!)

Old April 13th 04, 11:00 PM
Iowacookiemom

Well, you're doing better than I am, then. Although I do have a
Jewish calendar at home, of course, and do have access to the
information on the internet, it is not uncommon to hear things like
"When is Rosh Hashanah this year?"

That's true for me as a Christian, too, with non-commercial but important
observances like Ash Wednesday or the first week in Advent. As observant as I
feel I am, it's easy to miss things that Hallmark isn't jamming down my throat.

Come to think of it, I've been known to miss secular holidays that Hallmark
*does* jam down with some regularlity. I'm constantly finding Mother's Day or
Father's Day sneaking up on me, and I've given up (much to my
Hallmark-programmed mother's chagrin) even trying to keep track of Grandparents
Day and Sweetest Day.

And as someone who often plans meetings for volunteers and special events in my
work, I appreciate the indulgence of religious communities who assume it was an
oversight and not a deliberate slight when we occasionally slip up. For the
life of me, I can't think of a reason at all why anyone would intentionally
step on a religious observance.

When Henry was in a Jewish preschool, we were keeping track of the Jewish
calendar because of dietary restrictions as school, Christian calendar because
that is our personal practice, and also we were new at that time to observing
Kwanzaa, Juneteenth, etc as we worked in African American celebrations in our
still-new-at-the-time role as a family built through transracial adoption. It
was quite the juggling act at times, and Henry loved the near-constant holiday
observance!

-Dawn
Mom to Henry, 11

Old April 13th 04, 11:00 PM
Iowacookiemom

If you hadn't been out of the
country, presumably you wouldn't have been doing your library work on
the last day. So I doubt the library issue impacted many people.

Then again, for working families like ours who don't travel during the break
and may still need to work, there is less, not more, time for homework during a
school break -- when Henry was younger he attended Day Camp during the breaks;
the hours were longer than school hours and he came home happily exhausted. To
try to fit in a major project during that week would have been difficult, and
IIRC our public library may have had reduced hours during those weeks as well,
due to holidays and decreased traffic.

-Dawn
Mom to Henry, 11

Old April 13th 04, 11:09 PM
just me

"beeswing" wrote in message
How about expecting a teacher to realize in advance that public libraries

would
be closed on Easter Sunday and, therefore, having a report due the very

next
day isn't the best plan? Or that many students would be celebrating a

major
holiday with their families on Sunday and that turning in the report the

very
next day, again, may not be the best plan?

, and, as in this case, not expecting the child to turn it in on the due
date *and* expecting that that child's parents would know that they would be
given that grace. This particular teacher is not thinking of others much,
if I understood the situation correctly, or, perhaps, is not an effective
communicator.

-Aula