Demonstration Organizer Removes Evidence of PBS Promoting Private Partisan Event

Old December 9th 05, 02:09 PM posted to alt.child-support,alt.support.divorce

Default Demonstration Organizer Removes Evidence of PBS Promoting Private Partisan Event

http://www.breakingthescience.org/MR...es_Listing.php
News Flash!
Demonstration Organizer Removes Evidence of PBS Promoting Private Partisan
Event
By Mark B. Rosenthal

December 8, 2005

The website of an organization called the Mother's Research and Reference
Center lists PBS affiliate's showings of the film Breaking the Silence in
all 50 states and coordinated demonstrations at courthouses and city halls
all across the country. Or at least it did as of December 5, 2005 when
Google's web-crawler last archived it.

In her December 7, 2005 article PBS Continues Probe into Biased Film,
columnist Wendy McElroy noted that the Corporation for Public Broadcasting
ombudsman's report on the film had "wondered whether PBS had been used as
'the launching pad for a very partisan effort to drive public policy and
law.'" McElroy went on to say, "If so, the documentary violates PBS' mission
statement to be non-partisan and 'provide multiple viewpoints.'" In
considering what would constitute evidence of political partisanship,
McElroy mentions an event organized in Alaska and quotes the following from
the MRRC's Alaska listing:

"Hodson announced, 'We have not yet chosen our date, but since we got the
PBS affiliate's [KAKM] go-ahead today, we can now pick any date we want and
start planning. The local PBS station has said they will help us advertise
and promote our event because we will then in turn promote viewing of their
screening date on 10/20'".
McElroy's December 7th article included a link to
http://www.mrrc.info/Articles/DemonstrationInfo.html as evidence of the
quote. But by December 8th, that webpage listed only 49 of the 50 states.
The Mother's Research and Reference Center had removed the state of Alaska,
and along with it, Hodson's statement that the PBS affiliate had offered to
help advertise and promote her event.

The earlier version of the webpage, retrieved from Google's cache, included
the following listing:

Alaska

KAKM - Channel 7 10/20 10:00 pm Alaska time

Tentative plan:

Public screening of the film, likely at UAA or our public library's
Municipality of Anchorage Assembly Chambers. We intend to invite a panel of
speakers from the court system, politicians, a UAA professor, a survivor,
maybe an attorney to give opening remarks on the issues and to announce or
AK Battered Mother's Testimony which is underway. We also hope to send
written/formal invitations to judges, evaluators, etc. We'll then show the
film. We want to have discussion and testimonials afterwards, with
teleconferencing capabilities set up so callers can participate from other
sites in the state. We certainly hope to have media coverage. We have not
yet chosen our date, but since we got the PBS affiliate's go-ahead today, we
can now pick any date we want and start planning. The local PBS station has
said they will help us advertise and promote our event because we will then
in turn promote viewing of their screening date on 10/20. Good luck to us
all!

Paige Hodson
www.custodyprepformoms.org

Liberalism: that haunting fear that someone,
somewhere, can help themselves without
Government intervention.

Old December 9th 05, 11:32 PM posted to alt.child-support,alt.support.divorce

You know... I have a woman come into my classes to give "antiviolence"
talks, and she mentioned that the organization she works for was invited
to a "screening" of _Children's Stories_ some time ago...

I wonder if something similar was happening here in RI. I know that at
least one family court judge was present at the screening (I'm told it
didn't go over well with her as it presented family court judges in an
unfavorable light).

- Ron ^*^