The myth of ADD

Old May 11th 07, 05:39 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health
Sir Arthur C.B.E. Wholeflaffers A.S.A.

Default The myth of ADD

Jeff, I understand your viewpoint, but I must seriously object to
your conclusions. I encourage you to study the history of this
syndrome, who discovered it, who promoted it and who benefited from
this discovery. That is where you will find the truth. Thank you
for your response and please feel free to communicate further on these
topics. We must keep the lines of communications open and not be
shouted down by the crack-pots on these newsgroups.

Jeff wrote:
"Sir Arthur C.B.E. Wholeflaffers A.S.A." wrote in message
oups.com...
Wright, we've been through this a million times, so please refer to my
conflict of interest or should I say: CONFLICTS of interest! Yes, ADD/
ADHD are complete myths,

Bull****. The evidence that people with adhd have brains that work
differently than people without adhd is overwhelming.

made up of whole cloth to be "cured" by
certain pharmaceuticals,

While pharmaceuticals are one way to help people with ADHD, there many other
things that can help these people. In the case of kids, moving them to the
front of the room where they will be least distracted is one such thing.

which really only exacerbate and mask those
conditions,

Actually, what the pharmaceuticals do is enable people with ADHD to focus
and make their own decisions free of distractions.

which are be to determined by the spychiatrists
convienence!

Determined by experience of psychiatrists and other professionals.

The facts prove that my knowledge of this subject is
vastly suprior to yours, and besides that, I am completely objective
on this subject.

You have yet to demonstrate that you any useful knowledge on this subject
nor are you objective.

Jeff

David Wright wrote:
In article .com,
Sir Arthur C.B.E. Wholeflaffers A.S.A. wrote:
That is another myth. The only so-called difference is that certain
people think they are special by acting totally irresponsible, such as
the person here posting as "Ann" - a total nutcase!

"Myth," eh? Sure, "Artie." Let's see your evidence. By the way,
simply announcing that you are an authority does not constitute
evidence. It wouldn't be evidence even if you were an authority,
which you are not.

-- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net
"I'll kill anyone that tries to stop me from killing anyone."
-- Yellowbeard

Jeff wrote:
"Jan Drew" wrote in message
. ..

The evidence that ADHD is real is overwhelming. People with ADHD have
differences in brain function that are visible on PET scans and other
tests
compared with people who don't ADHD.

Jeff

Old May 11th 07, 05:53 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health
Jeff

"Sir Arthur C.B.E. Wholeflaffers A.S.A." wrote in message
ups.com...
Jeff, I understand your viewpoint, but I must seriously object to
your conclusions. I encourage you to study the history of this
syndrome, who discovered it, who promoted it and who benefited from
this discovery.

While I agree the history is important, the science behind it is more
improtant.

That is where you will find the truth. Thank you
for your response and please feel free to communicate further on these
topics. We must keep the lines of communications open and not be
shouted down by the crack-pots on these newsgroups.

The science overwhelmingly shows that ADHD is a real condition. People who
have the condition have brains that function differently than people without
it.

You can search scholar with the terms ADHD and imaging to see many of these
studies.

There is no question that the drug industry is in business to sell drugs,
including drugs to treat ADHD. They want to make money. Period.

But, that doesn't mean that ADHD isn't a real condition. Or that people with
ADHD can't be helped by medication.

The history of the condition is important. But more so are the scientific
facts about ADHD and the treatments, including medications, used to help
people with the condition.

Jeff

Jeff wrote:
[...]

In article .com,

Old May 11th 07, 10:20 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health
[email protected]

On May 11, 8:25 am, "Sir Arthur C.B.E. Wholeflaffers A.S.A."
wrote:
Wright, we've been through this a million times,

How many people did you have to ask to help you count that high?

so please refer to my

Can be conveniently found he www.barf.net

I understand your cults obvious
conflict of interest or should I say: CONFLICTS of interest! Yes, ADD/
ADHD are complete myths, made up of whole cloth to be "cured"

Wrong, numbnuts, no one claims a cure.

by
certain pharmaceuticals, which really only exacerbate and mask those
conditions, which are be to determined by the spychiatrists
convienence! The facts prove that my knowledge of this subject is
vastly suprior to yours, and besides that, I am completely objective
on this subject.

You are as objective as that brown lump in your shorts.

In article .com,

-- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net
"I'll kill anyone that tries to stop me from killing anyone."
-- Yellowbeard

Jeff wrote:
"Jan Drew" wrote in message
t...

The evidence that ADHD is real is overwhelming. People with ADHD have
differences in brain function that are visible on PET scans and other tests
compared with people who don't ADHD.

Jeff- Hide quoted text -

Old May 12th 07, 07:38 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health
Jan Drew

"Jeff" wrote in message

"Sir Arthur C.B.E. Wholeflaffers A.S.A." wrote in
message oups.com...
Wright, we've been through this a million times, so please refer to my
conflict of interest or should I say: CONFLICTS of interest! Yes, ADD/
ADHD are complete myths,

Bull****. The evidence that people with adhd have brains that work
differently than people without adhd is overwhelming.

Who wrote this evidence? The drug companies and their lackeys...

made up of whole cloth to be "cured" by
certain pharmaceuticals,

While pharmaceuticals are one way to help people with ADHD, there many
other things that can help these people. In the case of kids, moving them
to the front of the room where they will be least distracted is one such
thing.

Easy to tell you have no kids. Moving them to the front where they can
distract the whole class and show off.

which really only exacerbate and mask those
conditions,

Actually, what the pharmaceuticals do is enable people with ADHD to focus
and make their own decisions free of distractions.

Proof please.

which are be to determined by the spychiatrists
convienence!

Determined by experience of psychiatrists and other professionals.

Belonging to *organized medicine*.....

http://www.sntp.net/ritalin/ritalin.htm

The facts prove that my knowledge of this subject is
vastly suprior to yours, and besides that, I am completely objective
on this subject.

You have yet to demonstrate that you any useful knowledge on this subject
nor are you objective.

Jeff

You sure haven't yet.

Polly wanna cracker......

In article .com,

Old May 12th 07, 07:46 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health
Jan Drew

ps.com...
wrote:
Wright, we've been through this a million times,

How many people did you have to ask to help you count that high?

so please refer to my

Can be conveniently found he www.barf.net

I understand your cults obvious
conflict of interest or should I say: CONFLICTS of interest! Yes, ADD/
ADHD are complete myths, made up of whole cloth to be "cured"

Wrong, numbnuts, no one claims a cure.

by
certain pharmaceuticals, which really only exacerbate and mask those
conditions, which are be to determined by the spychiatrists
convienence! The facts prove that my knowledge of this subject is
vastly suprior to yours, and besides that, I am completely objective
on this subject.

You are as objective as that brown lump in your shorts.

Another post to take to your Rabbi.....

http://www.torah.org/learning/pirkei...apter1-6b.html

G-d's Justice System

When we judge others, we are setting our own personal justice system. If I
am constantly finding fault and criticizing others, I send a message to G-d.
Shortcomings should be noticed and highlighted; there's no room for mercy
and tolerance. And G-d allows us to fashion the very justice system with
which He views us. If we see only the bad in others, we bring upon ourselves
the very judgment we, in our minds, visit upon others daily.

http://www.yeshiva.org.il/midrash/shiur.asp?id=338

In the next portion of the midrash, the sages teach that it is fitting for
people to speak in clean, appropriate language:"

The words of Hashem are pure'...In the Torah, God chose to write eight extra
words in order to avoid using terminology which was not 100% 'clean. In the
Book of Berei****, for instance, Noach is told to choose for the ark from
among 'the pure cattle and from the cattle that is not pure...' [- instead
of referring to the latter group using the Hebrew term for ritually impure
beasts, "Tameh." ] In disqualifying the rabbit as a pure animal, the Torah
does not say that the impurity derives from the fact that the rabbit does
not have split hooves, [though this is true] but rather that the rabbit is
impure because it [only] chews its cud. (Vaykira 11)" The clear message of
the midrash: when unpleasant things are uttered, they must be expressed in
the cleanest, most honorable manner possible.

When we talk about being careful about speech, we're talking about two
different issues. What to say, and how to say it.

First of all, it is important not to say things that need not be said. When
something is in need of being said, it should be expressed using clean,
appropriate language. I've mentioned on several occasions that Rav Tzvi
Yehuda Kook (of blessed memory) was very cautious with his words, always
carefully weighing what he had to say before he said it. He would never say
things in the negative, but would always couch his ideas in positive terms.

In article .com,

Old May 12th 07, 01:07 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health
Peter Bowditch

"Jan Drew" wrote:

ups.com...
wrote:
Wright, we've been through this a million times,

How many people did you have to ask to help you count that high?

so please refer to my

Can be conveniently found he www.barf.net

I understand your cults obvious
conflict of interest or should I say: CONFLICTS of interest! Yes, ADD/
ADHD are complete myths, made up of whole cloth to be "cured"

Wrong, numbnuts, no one claims a cure.

by
certain pharmaceuticals, which really only exacerbate and mask those
conditions, which are be to determined by the spychiatrists
convienence! The facts prove that my knowledge of this subject is
vastly suprior to yours, and besides that, I am completely objective
on this subject.

You are as objective as that brown lump in your shorts.

Another post to take to your Rabbi.....

I'm sorry, Jan, but your theological studies and recent conversion to
Judaism are not relevant to the thread.

KACHING!! - $1

snip Rabbinical Studies essay
--
Peter Bowditch aa #2243
Australian Skeptics http://www.skeptics.com.au
To email me use my first name only at ratbags.com
Old May 12th 07, 02:12 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health
Jeff

"Jan Drew" wrote in message

"Jeff" wrote in message

"Sir Arthur C.B.E. Wholeflaffers A.S.A." wrote in
message oups.com...
Wright, we've been through this a million times, so please refer to my
conflict of interest or should I say: CONFLICTS of interest! Yes, ADD/
ADHD are complete myths,

Bull****. The evidence that people with adhd have brains that work
differently than people without adhd is overwhelming.

Who wrote this evidence? The drug companies and their lackeys...

Actually, most of it was independent researchers funded the NIH. No drug
ties for a lot of researchers.

made up of whole cloth to be "cured" by
certain pharmaceuticals,

While pharmaceuticals are one way to help people with ADHD, there many
other things that can help these people. In the case of kids, moving them
to the front of the room where they will be least distracted is one such
thing.

Easy to tell you have no kids. Moving them to the front where they can
distract the whole class and show off.

Get a clue.

which really only exacerbate and mask those
conditions,

Actually, what the pharmaceuticals do is enable people with ADHD to focus
and make their own decisions free of distractions.

Proof please.

You kindly provided evidence that this is the case when you showed that
people with ADHD get in fewer crashes when they are on proper medication.

J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol. 2007 Feb;17(1):35-49.Click here to read
Links
Preliminary evidence of beneficial effects of methylphenidate on
listening comprehension in children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity
disorder.
McInnes A, Bedard AC, Hogg-Johnson S, Tannock R.

Faculty of Education, University of Windsor, Windsor, Ontario, Canada.

OBJECTIVE: The effect of methylphenidate (MPH) on listening
comprehension for information passages, and on working memory, was examined
in a clinical sample of 16 children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity
disorder (ADHD). METHOD: Drug effects on comprehension of spoken language at
the levels of single sentences and passages, and on verbal and
visual-spatial working memory (WM) skills were assessed over a 4-day
placebo-controlled, double-blind, crossover treatment trial of MPH at low,
medium, and high doses. Concurrent behavior ratings were also completed.
Data were analyzed at both group and individual levels; individual
improvements using average change scores were analyzed to explore
interrelationships among comprehension, WM, and behavioral responses to MPH.
RESULTS: There was a significant effect of drug on comprehension of
inferences from challenging listening passages (F = 3.1, p ,0.05), and on
visual-spatial working memory performance (F = 3.3, p ,0.05), with
significant linear dose-response relationships evident for both domains.
Individual improvements in comprehension using averaged placebo-dose change
scores were not related to improvements in behavior with MPH, or to
improvements in WM in this sample. CONCLUSIONS: Findings provide preliminary
evidence that MPH affects higher-level language comprehension skills, which
require sustained attention and mental effort. If generalizable to classroom
listening skills, these findings have implications for clinicians and
teachers involved with children with ADHD.

A review:

ediatrics. 2005 Jun;115(6):e749-57.Click here to read Links

Comment in:
J Fam Pract. 2005 Sep;54(9):750.

Treatment of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: overview of the
evidence.
Brown RT, Amler RW, Freeman WS, Perrin JM, Stein MT, Feldman HM, Pierce
K, Wolraich ML; American Academy of Pediatrics Committee on Quality
Improvement; American Academy of Pediatrics Subcommittee on
Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder.

The American Academy of Pediatrics' Committee on Quality Improvement,
Subcommittee on Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder, reviewed and
analyzed the current literature for the purpose of developing an
evidence-based clinical practice guideline for the treatment of the
school-aged child with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). This
review included several key reports, including an evidence review from the
McMaster Evidence-Based Practice Center (supported by the Agency for
Healthcare Research and Quality), a report from the Canadian Coordinating
Office for Health Technology Assessment, the Multimodal Treatment for ADHD
comparative clinical trial (supported by the National Institute of Mental
Health), and supplemental reviews conducted by the subcommittee. These
reviews provided substantial information about different treatments for ADHD
and their efficacy in improving certain characteristics or outcomes for
children with ADHD as well as adverse effects and benefits of multiple modes
of treatment compared with single modes (eg, medication or behavior
therapies alone). The reviews also compared the effects of different
medications. Other evidence documents the long-term nature of ADHD in
children and its classification as a chronic condition, meriting the
application of general concepts of chronic-condition management, including
an individual treatment plan with a focus on ongoing parent and child
education, management, and monitoring. The evidence strongly supports the
use of stimulant medications for treating the core symptoms of children with
ADHD and, to a lesser degree, for improving functioning. Behavior therapy
alone has only limited effect on symptoms or functioning of children with
ADHD, although combining behavior therapy with medication seems to improve
functioning and may decrease the amount of (stimulant) medication needed.
Comparison among stimulants (mainly methylphenidate and amphetamines) did
not indicate that 1 class outperformed the other.

And you can read the entire article he
http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...int/115/6/e749

which are be to determined by the spychiatrists
convienence!

Determined by experience of psychiatrists and other professionals.

Belonging to *organized medicine*.....

Not all physicians who prescribe ADHD medications belong to organized
medicine.

http://www.sntp.net/ritalin/ritalin.htm

The facts prove that my knowledge of this subject is
vastly suprior to yours, and besides that, I am completely objective
on this subject.

You have yet to demonstrate that you any useful knowledge on this subject
nor are you objective.

Jeff

You sure haven't yet.

Polly wanna cracker......

I think you are trying to say that I am parroting someone else's view.

The views expressed are mine. I recieve no funding of any kind from
organized medicine or any drug company.

Unless you are able to make useful comments on this post, I am not going to
waste my time responding to your posts in this thread.

Jeff

In article .com,

Old May 13th 07, 07:17 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health
Jan Drew

"Jeff" wrote in message

"Jan Drew" wrote in message

"Jeff" wrote in message

"Sir Arthur C.B.E. Wholeflaffers A.S.A." wrote in
message oups.com...
Wright, we've been through this a million times, so please refer to my
conflict of interest or should I say: CONFLICTS of interest! Yes, ADD/
ADHD are complete myths,

Bull****. The evidence that people with adhd have brains that work
differently than people without adhd is overwhelming.

Who wrote this evidence? The drug companies and their lackeys...

Actually, most of it was independent researchers funded the NIH. No drug
ties for a lot of researchers.

Polly wanna cracker....Jeff once again repeating the words of *Organized
medicine*.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...44/ai_14254187

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...home-headlines

made up of whole cloth to be "cured" by
certain pharmaceuticals,

While pharmaceuticals are one way to help people with ADHD, there many
other things that can help these people. In the case of kids, moving
them to the front of the room where they will be least distracted is one
such thing.

Easy to tell you have no kids. Moving them to the front where they can
distract the whole class and show off.

Get a clue.

A very definite one.......

which really only exacerbate and mask those
conditions,

Actually, what the pharmaceuticals do is enable people with ADHD to
focus and make their own decisions free of distractions.

Proof please.

You kindly provided evidence that this is the case when you showed that
people with ADHD get in fewer crashes when they are on proper medication.

LOL.... Teens with ADHD more prone to car crashes

J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol. 2007 Feb;17(1):35-49.Click here to read
Links
Preliminary evidence of beneficial effects of methylphenidate on
listening comprehension in children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity

Ritalin........

Side effects.............

[ ]

A review:

ediatrics. 2005 Jun;115(6):e749-57.Click here to read Links

Comment in:
J Fam Pract. 2005 Sep;54(9):750.

Treatment of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: overview of the
evidence.
Brown RT, Amler RW, Freeman WS, Perrin JM, Stein MT, Feldman HM, Pierce
K, Wolraich ML; American Academy of Pediatrics

*organized medicine*.

which are be to determined by the spychiatrists
convienence!

Determined by experience of psychiatrists and other professionals.

Belonging to *organized medicine*.....

[ ]

Not all physicians who prescribe ADHD medications belong to organized
medicine.

http://www.sntp.net/ritalin/ritalin.htm

The facts prove that my knowledge of this subject is
vastly suprior to yours, and besides that, I am completely objective
on this subject.

You have yet to demonstrate that you any useful knowledge on this
subject nor are you objective.

Jeff

You sure haven't yet.

Polly wanna cracker......

I think you are trying to say that I am parroting someone else's view.

Ya think?

Like the
Below...

Exactly..........

The views expressed are mine. I recieve no funding of any kind from
organized medicine or any drug company.

Diverd

Unless you are able to make useful comments on this post, I am not going
to waste my time responding to your posts in this thread.

Jeff

ZZzz.

In article .com,

Old May 14th 07, 03:57 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health
JohnDoe

Peter Bowditch wrote:

"Jan Drew" wrote:

oups.com...

wrote:

[...]

IIRC, last time, KACHING got the ACAHF a new printer. Do you have
anything in mind for this round of KACHING?
Old May 14th 07, 04:08 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health
Raving

On May 14, 10:57 am, JohnDoe wrote:
Peter Bowditch wrote:
"Jan Drew" wrote:

oups.com...

wrote:

[...]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Dough

The myth of Autism John Jones Kids Health 0 September 9th 06 10:34 PM
The Mommy Myth GoofeeGyrl General 6 May 17th 04 02:21 AM
PPD is a myth? Fer Pregnancy 2 March 14th 04 06:54 AM
Another MYTH about SIDS exposed Kane General 16 December 22nd 03 03:03 PM