Giving birth is free...

Old April 12th 05, 10:35 AM
Chookie

Default Giving birth is free...

.... pity about all the things I'm taking to the hospital!!

Had a big shopping trip today.

Maternity bra $55 (a really comfy Berlei; put 2 more on order -- ouch!)
PJs $24.95
PJs $40
2 wheat packs $40

Then there are the undies, nappies, pads, cosmetics, lollies and all the
rest...

But my new PJs are nice -- one of my winter pairs is no longer fit to be seen,
and the other pair may well be too hot, so I got two jersey in-betweeny pairs.
Mum gave me a dressing gown and slipper set for Christmas too, so I'll look as
good as can be expected at such a time!!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.
Old April 12th 05, 08:15 PM
arachne

"Chookie" wrote in message
... pity about all the things I'm taking to the hospital!!

Had a big shopping trip today.

Maternity bra $55 (a really comfy Berlei; put 2 more on order -- ouch!)
PJs $24.95
PJs $40
2 wheat packs $40

Then there are the undies, nappies, pads, cosmetics, lollies and all the
rest...

But my new PJs are nice -- one of my winter pairs is no longer fit to be
seen,
and the other pair may well be too hot, so I got two jersey in-betweeny
pairs.
Mum gave me a dressing gown and slipper set for Christmas too, so I'll
look as
good as can be expected at such a time!!

i'm glad i took clothes i was comfy in for after the birth. i love buying
new stuff, but i never buy anything for myself. enjoy it all!

you are the opposite of me with your birth. my homebirth will cost a mint,
but i don't really need to buy much for it.
--
elizabeth (in australia)
DS 20th august 2002
#2 due 14th october 2005

"If evolution really works, how come mothers only have two hands?" -- Milton
Berle

Old April 13th 05, 04:06 AM
Sindy

"Chookie" wrote in message things I'm taking to the hospital!!

Had a big shopping trip today.

Maternity bra $55 (a really comfy Berlei; put 2 more on order -- ouch!)
PJs $24.95
PJs $40
2 wheat packs $40

Then there are the undies, nappies, pads, cosmetics, lollies and all the
rest...

Where did you buy your PJ's from ? I looking for PJ's to buy, but I haven't
seen any that would be suitable for breast feeding. Also I find that the
hospital get really hot, so I need to make sure that I'm comfortable, I
have been advised that I'm now having a C-section, so I don't know whethera
nighty would be better.
Regards Sindy

Old April 13th 05, 05:51 AM
Anne Rogers

Where did you buy your PJ's from ? I looking for PJ's to buy, but I
haven't seen any that would be suitable for breast feeding. Also I find
that the hospital get really hot, so I need to make sure that I'm
comfortable, I have been advised that I'm now having a C-section, so I
don't know whethera nighty would be better.

check where the waistline comes on your pjs, it will need to come above the
scar, same with any undies, you don't want to be wearing hipster knickers,
you'll probably want granny pants! Also check your going home outfit make
sure that is likely to be comfortable.

As for breastfeeding with PJs, no need for anything special, just lift up
from the middle. I have a couple of nighties which have 3 buttons at the
top, they are fab, not discrete like breastfeeding clothes can be, but
comfortable!

Just wondering why you are having a c-section, it's your first delivery, so
there is no prior history, there are not that many reasons to schedule a
c-section for first timers, do make sure you find out what your options are,
from what I've heard c-section recovery can be really tough.

Cheers

Anne

Old April 13th 05, 06:57 AM
eggs

In article ,
"Anne Rogers" wrote:

Where did you buy your PJ's from ? I looking for PJ's to buy, but I
haven't seen any that would be suitable for breast feeding. Also I find
that the hospital get really hot, so I need to make sure that I'm
comfortable, I have been advised that I'm now having a C-section, so I
don't know whethera nighty would be better.

If this is your first section, you should get some of those 80's style
lycra leggings (long bike pants) that come all the way up to your waist.
They are stretchy, so easy to pull up and over your wound without
touching it, plus the "hold in" effect is psychologically beneficial as
you may well feel like your stomach could fall apart at any instant.
The best pajama shirts for breast feeding are big baggy t-shirts that
you can easily push up out of the way. I also second the nana undies
suggestion. Buy a bunch of those really cheap ones at Best & Less, then
you won't feel so bad chucking them away after only a couple of wears.

Just wondering why you are having a c-section, it's your first delivery, so
there is no prior history, there are not that many reasons to schedule a
c-section for first timers, do make sure you find out what your options are,
from what I've heard c-section recovery can be really tough.

Cheers

Anne

I've had two sections, number one was a horror story, number two was a
walk in the park. So it won't necessarily be bad, but geeze Louise,
when those things go bad they REALLY go bad. I too would only schedule
a primary section as a last resort.

eggs.
Old April 14th 05, 06:55 AM
Chookie

In article , "Sindy" wrote:

Where did you buy your PJ's from ? I looking for PJ's to buy, but I haven't
seen any that would be suitable for breast feeding. Also I find that the
hospital get really hot, so I need to make sure that I'm comfortable, I
have been advised that I'm now having a C-section, so I don't know whethera
nighty would be better.

I got one pair from Sussan and the other from Target. For bfing, it's easiest
to have a loose, but not overly long, top that you can just lift up and tuck
under your arm. Front-buttoning shirts can leave you feeling a bit exposed.

Haven't had a C-section, so can't advise you on what is most comfortable to
wear. Just make sure you REALLY need one -- if Australia's CS rate is double
what the WHO says it ought to be, I think we need to start looking very
carefully at what we're being told by our doctors (there is a much, much
higher rate of CS if you are under private health insurance, for example).
And unfortunately, I know quite a number of people who've had bad experiences
with CSs.

The Australian Breastfeeding Association has a booklet on BFing after a
Caesarean for $5. It would be well worth getting -- your cut stomach muscles
make it hard to hold the baby, but there are some special holds and techniques
to make it a bit more comfortable. Another thing is to get the baby to your
arms and breast as quickly as possible -- ie, in the Recovery Room after the
op. Some hospital staff don't like this, but it's worth pushing for -- it's
good for you and bub physically and emotionally.

To get hold of the booklet, pop into your Early Childhood Health Centre and
ask if they have the local ABA bulletin, or a phone number. The Sales Officer
is the person to ring if there is a choice of numbers. If you can't find the
local number through the clinic, go through the ABA Helpline for your State:
http://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/prod...ounselling.asp

Did you know you can attend two local group meetings without paying the
membership fee? It's to give you a chance to try us out.

Old April 17th 05, 04:58 AM
Sindy

Hi Anne and Eggs and Chookie,

Thankyou for your advice about the P.J's and granny knickers and
breastfeeding.
In the past I have have 4 curettes. 3 Ectopics ( Which I was cut Hip to Hip
twice) and the last ectopic which also shared this pregnancy I was cut from
the belly button down. ( So I guess I look like an anchor, you could take me
fishing!!!) Also I have had both of my tubes removed due to the ruptured
tubes from the ectopics and the dye test.

anyway .... I asked my doctor for clarification on the Caesarean reasons
etc, and it is because of the ectopic that I had back in September last
year, he had to cut out a corner of my uterus and sew muscle to muscle,
anyway if we go ahead with a normal birth, there is a risk that the
contractions/pushing may dislodge the placenta and rupture my uterus which
will then result in me having to have a hysterectomy. (I don't think so, I
think that I'm too young, I'm 32 and we would like to try IVF again in a
couple of years time) Oh Oh, and because he is a big Bub (8 - 9 pound) and
with my uterus the way it is, there is a chance that Bub's won't survive.
!!! I DON'T NEED TO BE TOLD TWICE !!!!!!!! ( I don't remember why Bub's
may not survive, - I have a bad case of pregnancy memory, or lack there of).
I hope this does make sence to you. At first I really wasn't sure about it
all, I felt cheated, but I do feel more comfortable with the idea, Maybe
I'm wrong.... Does this sould right to you....?

Regards Sindy
2 Miscarriages
3 Ectopics
3 IVF cycles with
a Baby boy EDD - 20th May but booked in for C/section on the 12th May 2005

"Anne Rogers" wrote
Just wondering why you are having a c-section, it's your first delivery,
so there is no prior history, there are not that many reasons to schedule
a c-section for first timers, do make sure you find out what your options
are, from what I've heard c-section recovery can be really tough.

Cheers

Anne

Eggs wrote ....

I've had two sections, number one was a horror story, number two was a walk
in the park. So it won't necessarily be bad, but geeze Louise, when those
things go bad they REALLY go bad. I too would only schedule a primary
section as a last resort.

eggs.

Chookie wrote ....

Old April 17th 05, 12:19 PM
Chookie

In article , "Sindy" wrote:

[...]

No idea! It's always worth getting a second opinion on a Trial of Scar, as
they call it.

Probably the Dr means that if the uterus ruptures or placenta abrupts, they
might not be able to get the baby out in time.

If you are really having trouble with the prego brain, take a written list of
questions with you and write down the answers.