People have stories for everything!!

Old May 6th 04, 06:23 PM
Jill

Default People have stories for everything!!

Wow, this is one thing I won't miss about being pregnant, but...do people
still do this with babies and toddlers?? LOL.

For example, my 18 week ultrasound showed a girl and we have planned
accordingly. The u/s tech says she never reveals the sex unless she is sure
(but then, offers the disclaimer that there is no 100% guarantee, just in
case). But as we have been piled up on the girl gifts, friends and inlaws
claim to know tons of people who thought they were having a girl until a boy
popped out. They keep asking us what we will do. My response is always
"Well, obviously, we'll have to give him up for adoption! " with an eyeroll.
Someone in my family asked me "What if Rachel is a boy? We already call her
Rachel!" and I said "well, then I WILL get to use the name David after
all...David Rachel it will be!" With the same eyeroll.

But, people have a story for everything...there's the mom who delivered 2
months early...theone who delivered 2 weeks late...the one whose feet
swelled so bad she couldn't walk...the one whose water broke at work/grocery
store/church, the one who delivered in the car, the one who had twins when
she thought she was having one, etc etc. Not to mention all the old wives
tales and advice and predictions.

I won't miss those, they tire me out! But it is bothersome, that people keep
mentioning that I might not behaving a girl, 1000 times a day. They didn't
do this early on. It's just getting bad now that I am close to my due date.
Another response I use is "Well, no one will see him in all the dresses at
home. When we go out I will at least put him in a blue dress." etc etc. ??
what do people want me to say?

Next time.........I want to be surprised anyway!

Old May 6th 04, 06:35 PM
Sophie

"Jill" wrote in message
m...
Wow, this is one thing I won't miss about being pregnant, but...do people
still do this with babies and toddlers?? LOL.

They'll do it forever!

For example, my 18 week ultrasound showed a girl and we have planned
accordingly. The u/s tech says she never reveals the sex unless she is

sure
(but then, offers the disclaimer that there is no 100% guarantee, just in
case). But as we have been piled up on the girl gifts, friends and inlaws
claim to know tons of people who thought they were having a girl until a

boy
popped out.

I actually don't know anyone who was told one gender but then had the
opposite, if that makes you feel better

They keep asking us what we will do. My response is always
"Well, obviously, we'll have to give him up for adoption! " with an

eyeroll.
Someone in my family asked me "What if Rachel is a boy? We already call

her
Rachel!" and I said "well, then I WILL get to use the name David after
all...David Rachel it will be!" With the same eyeroll.

Lol - good answers.

But, people have a story for everything...there's the mom who delivered 2
months early...theone who delivered 2 weeks late...the one whose feet
swelled so bad she couldn't walk...the one whose water broke at

work/grocery
store/church, the one who delivered in the car, the one who had twins when
she thought she was having one, etc etc. Not to mention all the old wives
tales and advice and predictions.

Yep, yep, yep.

I won't miss those, they tire me out! But it is bothersome, that people

keep
mentioning that I might not behaving a girl, 1000 times a day. They didn't
do this early on. It's just getting bad now that I am close to my due

date.
Another response I use is "Well, no one will see him in all the dresses at
home. When we go out I will at least put him in a blue dress." etc etc.

??
what do people want me to say?

Lol.

Next time.........I want to be surprised anyway!

Old May 6th 04, 06:42 PM
Tori M.

That is too funny Jill. With Bonnie I had 8 ultrasounds so if people
started asking if I was sure it was a girl I just said "Well the tech never
said she switched to a Boy.. I bet that would suprise him though." The
first tech said we where having a boy but she was not as skilled as the guy
that did 6 out of 8 of the ultrasounds.

Next week I go in for ultrasound #2 I will be 17 weeks then... I get to have
1 every month lucky me... too bad that gel stuff does not do anything good
for your skin or at least make you smell pretty

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Anna or Xavier due 10/17/04
m...

Old May 6th 04, 06:52 PM
Nancy P

"Jill" wrote in message
m...
Wow, this is one thing I won't miss about being pregnant, but...do people
still do this with babies and toddlers?? LOL.

Oh yeah...there's the one about the baby who slept through the night
instantly (attributed to cereal in a bottle, stomach sleeping, etc).
There's the ones about the babies who got spoiled because they were held too
much. I could go on and on.....

Nancy

Old May 6th 04, 07:08 PM
Carla

On Thu, 06 May 2004 17:23:22 GMT, "Jill" wrote:

I won't miss those, they tire me out! But it is bothersome, that people keep
mentioning that I might not behaving a girl, 1000 times a day. They didn't
do this early on. It's just getting bad now that I am close to my due date.
Another response I use is "Well, no one will see him in all the dresses at
home. When we go out I will at least put him in a blue dress." etc etc. ??
what do people want me to say?

Are these people mostly family, friends or strangers? If their not
strangers, are they saying this stuff over & over? Sheesh...I've
never heard of people being so rude or annoying in my life!

*Some* people (usually strangers) will ask me if I know what we're
having, I say a boy and then they usually smile & say something like
'awww' or 'do you have a name picked yet?' and that's pretty much the
end of it. I have a friend that has 2 girls that gave me a bag of new
& unused girl stuff that she never used before we were sure that we
were having a boy and I always tease my husband about parading him
around the neighborhood in all of those pink little outfits, dresses &
sandals.

It sounds like you're handling it well and with a sense of humor but I
must agree that it would *definitely* start to **** me off after a
while.

Carla
#1 due 5/14/04
Old May 7th 04, 07:01 AM
A&G&K

"Jill" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Hate to tell you this, but for me the comments continued after DD was born
.... I'd be getting groceries after giving her a huge feed and she'd start
to cry about something (not hunger) and some complete stranger would walk up
and say: "oh she's hungry - you'd better go and feed her now" ... or "she's
too hot/cold/bored/overstimulated/tired" ... or "oh you are breastfeeding
her ... are you *sure* you have enough milk ... she looks a bit thin".
....and she was often a cross-dresser (oh we must be such perverts to put a 4
mo girl in a *blue* outfit!!! shock horror).

Where I grew up, the sign of a girl's success in life is how young she
married and had kids ... and I bucked the trend by getting an education
(completed my PhD before DH and I married) and not having a baby until I was
*ancient* (32) ... so I also had lots of comments about how my children
would all have birth defects because I was so "old", or that I only got
morning sickness because I "left it too late", or that my labour would be
very difficult because I was so old, or that I would be too old to play with
my kids, or that I would die before I saw any grandchildren. blah blah blah
blah.

Sooooo ..... I've now developed a system I'm thinking of patenting ... the
"crap filter system". It consists mainly of a withering look, the phrase
"thanks for telling me" and walking away

Amanda

--
DD 15th August 2002
1 tiny angel Nov 2003

Old May 7th 04, 11:15 PM
Jaclyn

Don't worry, it doesn't end after you have your baby!
People will always be telling you why you shouldn't use a pacifier, or why
you need to put one in. How to get your baby to sleep at night, or get them
to be quiet or talk more. You'll hear about the babies that were potty
trained at 10 months, as well as those that waited until 3 1/2.. the kids
who could read at 2. Whatever you do right for your child will inevitably
be the opposite as someone that someone knows, or at least has heard of..
and you'll hear about it!

m...

Old May 8th 04, 02:34 AM
Jill

"Nancy P" wrote
Oh yeah...there's the one about the baby who slept through the night
instantly (attributed to cereal in a bottle, stomach sleeping, etc).
There's the ones about the babies who got spoiled because they were held

too
much. I could go on and on.....

Oh yes, I can't forget the good tales too- the babies who instantly sleep
through the night, the ones who never cry, the ones who recite their ABC's
at 2 months of age, the ones who never get sick, etc. I've heard those too,
lol. Not to mention the pregnant woman who never had ANY symptoms- no
backache, no morning sickness, was running a marathon at 7 months pregnant
etc. You know, the lady who worked up until she went into labor, drove
herself to the hospital, and drove herself home the next day. LOL! It's
funny. Someone ALWAYS knows "someone who..."

Lol.

Old May 8th 04, 02:39 AM
Jill

"Carla" wrote
Are these people mostly family, friends or strangers? If their not
strangers, are they saying this stuff over & over? Sheesh...I've
never heard of people being so rude or annoying in my life!

Lol. In-laws, mostly. My parents have joked about it too, and when we had
our baby shower, tons of coworkers were laughing about "what if" this baby
turns out to be a boy, because everythingt we got was basically dresses
and/or pink, if it was clothing. People are mostly joking with us about it,
but the inlaws really believe it is a possibility. I guess it IS, but highly
unlikely. I forgot, I did have another u/s when I fell at 24 weeks, and I am
SURE if a part was there that wouldn't be expected on a girl, they would
have said something. lol. It's mostly my FIL and MIL who seem to really
think on some level that it could happen.

Well. If it does, they'll just need to NOT buy us anymore dresses. LMAO! As
a matter of fact, I am going to get my revenge, when they come for that
first visit or when we make that first phone call. If my husband will
cooperate for a short while, I want to tell them it DID turn out to be a
boy...is that too mean? I wouldn't let it go far...just want them to get
that jolt. lol.

Old May 8th 04, 02:42 AM
Jill

"A&G&K" wrote ... or "oh you are
breastfeeding
her ... are you *sure* you have enough milk ... she looks a bit thin".

I'd have to say something smart*ss to this. If my MIL or mother or someone I
have contact with a lot would say this often it would make me mad and I'd
have to make them stop, because that is detrimental and wrong. But a
stranger? goodlord. I'd have to say "She looks thin? Good, our diet is
working! My doctor told me if I only drink skim milk and eat fat free
myself, my own milk will be skim and it will keep her thin- that's just what
we want! Thanks." lol.