Name suggestions please

Old May 30th 04, 06:22 AM
A&G&K

Default Name suggestions please

OK ... I'm after any and all suggestions.
It feels like pulling teeth to have to ask others for suggestions, but I
figure that asking you guys is probably the best bet for a lot of input
without any great expectations that we will use your suggestion (unlike my
MIL who has been pushing for a name she knows we don't like).

We have our list together, but are having a few issues in finding the
*right* name. We need to pick out both a boys and a girls name.

Some guidelines:
Generally, *I* like names that have withstood the test of time, and we'd
prefer it if it isn't in the top fifty names of the year (but even if its #1
most popular Australian name for the year, that won't stop us using it if we
both manage to really like it). DH has had some good suggestions and some
hideously awful ones as well ('Sheridan' and 'Carmelle' being the latest 2
that push my buttons).
'Kate' and 'Victoria' are already taken (DD).
*I* like 'Elizabeth' (mainly because I *love* the nickname 'Lizzie'), I love
'Josephine' and I also like 'Sophia'. I also like the names 'Harry' and
'Angus' (but have already been vetoed on Angus).
Our last name is 'Wright' (which rules out Orville, Wilbur, Eileen, Shelby
and others that make silly sayings).
All suggestions will be considered.

Thanks
Amanda

--
DD 15th August 2002
1 tiny angel Nov 2003

Old May 30th 04, 06:41 AM
Angela Schepers

I'm with you, I like Elizabeth. If DS had been a girl that was the
name that DH and I had picked.

Old May 30th 04, 11:10 AM
Jacqui

A&G&K wibbled

Some guidelines:
Generally, *I* like names that have withstood the test of time,
and we'd prefer it if it isn't in the top fifty names of the year
(but even if its #1 most popular Australian name for the year,
that won't stop us using it if we both manage to really like it).
DH has had some good suggestions and some hideously awful ones as
well ('Sheridan' and 'Carmelle' being the latest 2 that push my
buttons). 'Kate' and 'Victoria' are already taken (DD).
*I* like 'Elizabeth' (mainly because I *love* the nickname
'Lizzie'), I love 'Josephine' and I also like 'Sophia'. I also
like the names 'Harry' and 'Angus' (but have already been vetoed
on Angus). Our last name is 'Wright' (which rules out Orville,
Wilbur, Eileen, Shelby and others that make silly sayings).
All suggestions will be considered.

George and Georgina; Harriet; Peter; Paul and Pauline; Miranda;
Jessica; Maria, Marianne; Mark, Marcus; Alicia; Ian; Jonathan;
Alison; Vanessa; Philip and Philippa; Amanda; Thomas; Charles and
Caroline; Edward; Michael; Martin; Graham.

Two minutes of thought, no particular scheme. I can probably think
of a lot more if you want. :-)

Jac
Old May 30th 04, 02:32 PM
Vicki S

"A&G&K" wrote:

OK ... I'm after any and all suggestions.

Boy names I like: Lionel, Theodore, Timothy, Orlando, Thayer, Abraham,
Elijah, Elliot, Ethan, Evan, Griffin, Isaiah, Josiah, Julian, Nathaniel,
Samuel, Sebastian, Seth

Girl names I like: Corinne, Adele, Amelia, Chloe, Nurya (Nuria),
Eleanor, Emily, Hannah, Miranda, Rose, Sarah, Cecile, Celeste,
Charlotte, Chloe, Clara, Claudia, Daphne, Emma, Fiona, Georgia, Grace,
Helena, Leah, Lily, Lydia, Miranda, Olivia, Rosemary, Sophia

--
-- Vicki
Married DH May 21, 1995. Ima shel Stoic, born 11/16/99;

Old May 30th 04, 07:05 PM
Sophie

Some guidelines:
Generally, *I* like names that have withstood the test of time, and we'd
prefer it if it isn't in the top fifty names of the year (but even if its

most popular Australian name for the year, that won't stop us using it if

we
both manage to really like it). DH has had some good suggestions and some
hideously awful ones as well ('Sheridan' and 'Carmelle' being the latest 2
that push my buttons).

Sheridan just makes me think of "Keeping Up Appearances" - lol.

'Kate' and 'Victoria' are already taken (DD).
*I* like 'Elizabeth' (mainly because I *love* the nickname 'Lizzie'), I

love
'Josephine' and I also like 'Sophia'.

Well I have to go with Josephine as it's my fave girl name.

I also like the names 'Harry' and
'Angus' (but have already been vetoed on Angus).

How about Magnus, it's close to Angus?

Our last name is 'Wright' (which rules out Orville, Wilbur, Eileen, Shelby
and others that make silly sayings).
All suggestions will be considered.

Thanks
Amanda

I went to the Social Security website, looked up the popular 1000 names and
started at the bottom of the list. You can also type in a name and see
where it was on the list in a given year.

Old May 30th 04, 10:14 PM
Larissa

A&G&K wrote:
[...]

Here are a few names:

Girls names: Rose, Grace, Hilary, Jessica, Bethany, Emma, Gemma,
Rachael, Louise, Lauren, Margot, Emily, Marion, Jacqueline, Megan

Boys names: Reuben, Sebastian, Marcus, Hamish, Nathaniel, Alexander,
David, Spencer, Brenden, William, Edward, James

Larissa

Old May 30th 04, 11:04 PM
A&G&K

"Sophie" wrote in message

I went to the Social Security website, looked up the popular 1000 names

and
started at the bottom of the list. You can also type in a name and see
where it was on the list in a given year.

Is that an American site? The popular Australian names are probably
slightly different (in order), but I'm yet to find a site that lists
*Australia's* most popular names for a given year (although several
individual States list their most popular names on their Registry of Births,
Deaths and Marriages sites - although unfortunately not my State).
Can you please give me the link to the site you are talking about? It might
turn up some possibilities.

BTW - your reason for not liking 'Sheridan' is the same as mine

Amanda

--
DD 15th August 2002
1 tiny angel Nov 2003

Old May 31st 04, 02:29 AM
Alpha

Is that an American site?

Yes, American births. Go to this site --
http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/ -- there's a form down on the page where
you can request the top 1000 names of 2003. This site also lets you view
the top 1000 of different decades, for every decade of the 20th century.

HTH!

-- Alpha
mom to Eamon and Quinn
Old May 31st 04, 03:08 AM
Leslie

I think Elilzabeth Wright is a lovely name, personally. I like long first
names with a short last name.

Leslie

C-section - care package for recovery - suggestions? John Pregnancy 8 January 19th 04 11:55 PM
Need suggestions: toys to bring on airplane for a 1-year-old dodo General 8 January 5th 04 04:47 PM
Anyone think I shouldn't name my daughter Hypatia Artemis? Other suggestions? andrea baker General (moderated) 29 January 2nd 04 01:08 PM
gift suggestions P. Tierney General 9 December 9th 03 05:12 AM
Bra suggestions Larry McMahan Pregnancy 4 August 6th 03 05:08 PM