biting

Old February 19th 07, 06:20 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Xahne

Default biting

My Little Bug is now 8 months old, and has been happily breast feeding
since she was born.

In the last couple of days, she has started biting instead of feeding.

Does any one have any suggestions on how to stop her doing this? I
really don't want to stop feeding her myself.

Xahne.
Old February 20th 07, 01:22 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Chookie

In article ,
Xahne "xahne at btinternet dot com" wrote:

My Little Bug is now 8 months old, and has been happily breast feeding
since she was born.

In the last couple of days, she has started biting instead of feeding.

Does any one have any suggestions on how to stop her doing this? I
really don't want to stop feeding her myself.

I found yelling "Youch!!!" worked, because it was an immediate response and it
scared them -- but some children have been known to find Mum's yells
entertaining. Another trick is to pull the baby in towards the breast, so
they have to let go to breathe. Other people have taken the child off with a
stern "No!" and not let them back on for a while.

If the change has been sudden, I'd suspect a tooth is on its way. Some kids
bite at the end of a feed as they fall asleep, and prevention (getting her off
earlier) is probably the best response to that.

Good luck in figuring it out!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old February 22nd 07, 05:29 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
JJ

On Feb 19, 11:20 am, Xahne "xahne at btinternet dot com" wrote:
My Little Bug is now 8 months old, and has been happily breast feeding
since she was born.

In the last couple of days, she has started biting instead of feeding.

Does any one have any suggestions on how to stop her doing this? I
really don't want to stop feeding her myself.

Xahne

I can remember very well an absolutely horrific 48 hours when DD was
that age, she had sharp teeth and bit with every feed. I got some
good advice here, especially from Larry, but I don't remember all the
details. (Sorry) The main helpful points were
1) yelling "ouch" and ending the feed after a bite.
2) making sure they were all the way latched on so they couldn't pull
off to bite
3) It was generally a short lived phase and would be over in a few
days.

Good luck!
JJ

Old February 22nd 07, 11:36 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Larry Mcmahan

In article .com,
says...
[...]

OK. Since you mentioned my name, JJ ...

Xahne,

Biting can be anticipated and prevented if you know what to look for.
I'll try to explain it as clearly as I can.

Usually (almost always) a baby bite at the end of a nursing session when
she is getting full. At this time she slips down on the end of the
nipple and bites. Knowing this can tell you what to look (feel) for and
what to do about it.

First, when you latch her on, make sure that you get all of the nipple
and most of the areole in her mouth. If you don't get her latched on
right, latch her off and start over.

Second, watch for her slipping down as she nurses. When she starts to
slip off, latch her off and back on. If she will not stay latched on
completely, end the nursing session.

Third, if she actually bites you, press her face into your breast. This
will immediately cause her to open her mouth to breathe. Latch her off
and tell her "No, that hurts mommy."

If you do these three things, you should be able to solve the problem
without tears for either of you.

Good luck,
Larry

My child is biting others John Dalberg General 12 February 14th 06 06:23 PM
Toddler biting Cathy Weeks General 4 September 4th 04 12:46 PM
Toddler biting Cathy Weeks Pregnancy 4 September 4th 04 12:46 PM
Biting help please! Lora R Breastfeeding 5 February 17th 04 08:13 AM
Yikes! Major biting attacks! Laurie Breastfeeding 7 October 25th 03 06:46 AM