What I Saw in Target Today

Old September 3rd 03, 03:34 AM
JennP

Default What I Saw in Target Today

"Naomi Pardue" wrote in message
While I'm delighted... I think she might be even MORE comfortable if you
referred to it as a breast, not a 'boob.'
(Sorry, but this is a real peeve of mine... why must people refer to them

as
'boobs' and 'tits', rather than 'breasts?' Doesn't exactly help with the
acceptance factor...)

Naomi, I thought I was the only one that had that pet peeve. Glad it's not
just me. JMO, of course since many here are very comfortable with using it.
--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
EDD 4/4/04
remove "no........spam" to reply

Old September 3rd 03, 03:38 AM
Nevermind

"Chotii" wrote in message . ..
"annafine" wrote in message
om...
I have seen many people nursing in public the past few years...and I
think it is becoming more common. However, most people that I've seen
are usually somewhat discrete about it...they throw a cover or
something over the baby while nursing. Others I've seen, as it sounds
like with the lady in Target, let it all hang out and they don't seem
to have a problem with what others think.

My EDD is October 18, 2003 and though I plan to breastfeed, I don't
think I will be able to feed that openly in public. I'm more likely
to cover Baby with a light blanket while feeding.

I was feeding my month-old baby at the McDonald's playland, and my MIL
hastened to drape a baby blanket over us

Ooh, that would have ****ed me off royally.

despite the heat in the room (it's
a giant solarium and it was a sunny day) and the fact that it made it
*harder* for me to get the baby latched. *She* was embarrassed. I was
merely frustrated with having to struggle with the blanket *and* the baby.
In general, I don't bother with trying to act "discreet" as this only draws
attention to what I'm doing. I lift my shirt, get baby latched, tuck my
shirt down, and nobody sees a thing.

I am as careful as possible not to reveal any breast to anyone but my
baby, but I *still* get looks from people. It is probably obvious that
I'm BFing because my shirt is slightly bunched up above the baby's
face, but no breast is visible, so they really have no reason to fuss.
Nevertheless, many do seem to fuss (to themselves, thank God --
noone's ever spoken to me). I have used a blanket only when around my
in-laws, specifically my FIL and my teenage nephew. In this case, it
is still obvious that I'm BFing, so the discomfort is still there, and
I'm really no less exposed, since I do make sure I'm not exposed (OK,
not for more than a second) even without a blanket, but I think the
blanket makes them feel comfortable looking at me while we're having a
discussion. They don't have to fear turning to stone from a stray
flash of breast. However, strangers at the mall don't need to look at
me at all, so to hell with them if they can't hack it.

All this said, it has just recently become VERY hard to NIP
discreetly, as my 8 MO pops her face up at every little sound. Forget
being discreet; it's hard to get a feeding into her in public at all,
even if I were willing to expose myself to all. This is a new one on
me; my older 2 kids never did this.
Old September 3rd 03, 03:48 AM
Shannon G

While I'm delighted... I think she might be even MORE comfortable if you
referred to it as a breast, not a 'boob.'
(Sorry, but this is a real peeve of mine... why must people refer to them

as
'boobs' and 'tits', rather than 'breasts?' Doesn't exactly help with the
acceptance factor...)

They are "booby snacks" in our household. Everyone, including 3 yo DS,
daycare providers, etc, call it that. I just "breastfed her at 6 o'clock"
or she just "nursed at 6" is boring. She had booby snacks at 6. It's not
derogatory. It's more endearing.

Shannon

Old September 3rd 03, 06:24 AM
toypup

"Shannon G" wrote in message
. ..
While I'm delighted... I think she might be even MORE comfortable if you
referred to it as a breast, not a 'boob.'
(Sorry, but this is a real peeve of mine... why must people refer to

them
as
'boobs' and 'tits', rather than 'breasts?' Doesn't exactly help with the
acceptance factor...)

They are "booby snacks" in our household. Everyone, including 3 yo DS,
daycare providers, etc, call it that. I just "breastfed her at 6 o'clock"
or she just "nursed at 6" is boring. She had booby snacks at 6. It's

not
derogatory. It's more endearing.

"Boobs" doesn't bother me, especially coming from a toddler. I'd rather say
that than "breast." I don't hear "tit" much, except maybe in x-rated spam,
but I killfile those.

Old September 3rd 03, 01:26 PM
Naomi Pardue

It's called 'Mum-Mum-milk' by the consumer at our house, and he thinks the
vending machines are called 'Mum-Mums'.

Shaina was weaned before she was talking much (14 months), but I always
referred to it as "mommy milk", so, I would assume that she would have called
it something similar had she been an early talker or had been nursing longer.

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

reply.)
Old September 3rd 03, 02:45 PM
iphigenia

Default Semantics and spelling [was: What I Saw in Target Today]

Naomi Pardue wrote:
(Sorry, but this is a real peeve of mine... why must people refer to
them as 'boobs' and 'tits', rather than 'breasts?' Doesn't exactly
help with the acceptance factor...)

I always use "breast," as it's my own preference...

My REAL pet peeve, though, is the misspelling of "discreet" as "discrete."
They have two entirely different meanings, folks!

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

Old September 3rd 03, 03:33 PM
Mary Ann Tuli

Naomi Pardue wrote:
It's called 'Mum-Mum-milk' by the consumer at our house, and he thinks the
vending machines are called 'Mum-Mums'.

Shaina was weaned before she was talking much (14 months), but I always
referred to it as "mommy milk", so, I would assume that she would have called
it something similar had she been an early talker or had been nursing longer.

Naomi

Snap :-)
Josh called it Mummy milk. I taught him that they were called breasts
when he weaned. I would not be comfortable with a 4 year old referring
to my breasts as boobs, in the same way as he refers to his penis as
that and not a willy. It just seems easier to teach the correct and
polite terms from the start.

They soon learn all the other 400 names anyway!

Mary Ann

is today the day? R.Sitter Pregnancy 8 March 17th 04 12:07 AM
RECALL: Target Multicolored Sidewalk Chalk DeliciousTruffles General 0 November 14th 03 12:11 AM
RECALL: Target Multicolored Sidewalk Chalk DeliciousTruffles Pregnancy 0 November 14th 03 12:11 AM
due today!!! Shannon Pregnancy 1 September 15th 03 12:24 PM
40 weeks today Alicia Elliott Pregnancy 7 August 9th 03 11:49 PM