What I Saw in Target Today

Old September 3rd 03, 07:51 PM
Tine Andersen

Default Semantics and spelling [was: What I Saw in Target Today]

"New York Jen" skrev i en meddelelse
. net...

"iphigenia" wrote in message
Naomi Pardue wrote:
(Sorry, but this is a real peeve of mine... why must people refer to
them as 'boobs' and 'tits', rather than 'breasts?' Doesn't exactly
help with the acceptance factor...)

I always use "breast," as it's my own preference...

My REAL pet peeve, though, is the misspelling of "discreet" as

"discrete."
They have two entirely different meanings, folks!

Oh, what's worse is than/then, it's/its, you're/your, etc. I cringe to
myself every time I see that!

- Jen, the host to an inner grammar nazi

Imagine being me: a grammar nazi as well but only able to live up to my own
expectations in Danish. I know I make the mistakes but I'm too lazy to use
the vocabulary for EVERYTHING!

Tine, Denmark

Old September 3rd 03, 08:30 PM
Dawn Lawson

Default What I Saw in Target Today

Tine Andersen wrote:

"K.B." wrote in message
ink.net...

"Chookie" wrote in message
In article ,
OSPAM (Naomi Pardue) wrote:

(Sorry, but this is a real peeve of mine... why must people refer to

them as
'boobs' and 'tits', rather than 'breasts?' Doesn't exactly help with

the
acceptance factor...)

Dunno about your part of the world, but here, we all have boobs. We

only
have
breasts at the doctor's.

It's called 'Mum-Mum-milk' by the consumer at our house, and he thinks

the
vending machines are called 'Mum-Mums'.

I will agree with you that 'tit' is very unattractive, but 'boob' has a

nice
rounded sort of look and sound...

I think Booby is fine. I can't imagine a child saying "I want your tit".
People would definitely stare. All my kids call it a booby or bubby to the
baby. It's just like saying poopy, or pee pee for penis, or chi chi for
pacifier, or nuny for night night. The are all more appropriate for kids.
Kris

Do you also say tju-tju for train, moo-moo for cow and honk-honk for car?

And how long do you continue with the baby words?

I forbid my MIL to tell my daughter that a dog was a bow-wow and a cat a
kitty. I like the right words - the ones that sound neutral in your specific
surroundings. (Luckily I have the courage to forbid her certain things and
be sure she respects (or rather: does as I say) them)

I agree with you, Tine, though I'm ok wtih puppy and kitty (but then, our cat
was Kitty for 20+ years, and that's how I call a generic cat to come
(kittykittykitty) so I don't view it as a baby word. Teaching a kid to say
"wow-wow" for a dog is just odd, imo. Why not teach "dog"?? (tju-tju is a neat
spelling, btw....I'd have expected Choo-choo!)
WHY can't a child say penis?? In fact, it's MORE appropriate to teach correct
body parts.
Chichi? Nuny? oooookay. Those mean NOTHING to anyone outside of immediate
family. They're family words, I guess, but not English. I don't think they're
*more* appropriate than teaching the child to say "night night".

But then, correct spoken language is important to me in daily life anyhow.
YMMV, I suppose.

Dawn

Old September 3rd 03, 11:14 PM
Daye

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 14:49:44 +0200, "Tine Andersen"
wrote:

I forbid my MIL to tell my daughter that a dog was a bow-wow and a cat a
kitty.

We call them dogs. DD says, "Ruff! Ruff!" for dog. That is her
choice to call them that. She used to call a cat "Mao" until
recently. There was no prompting by us. She used the sound it made
because she could say that and communicate what she meant. She will
eventually use the right word.

She chose the word "bubble" for her pacifier (well, before she stopped
using one). She calls the swing at the park "higher" because that is
what she tells her Daddy to do when they are swinging. "Higher!
Higher!"

We don't really talk baby-talk around her. She has a mind of her own,
and she chooses words all the time. Sometimes it sounds like we
baby-talked her into them; sometimes not. However, with enough time
and development, she will use the right word.

--
Daye
Momma to Jayan
Old September 4th 03, 05:33 AM
toypup

"Tine Andersen" wrote in message
k...
Do you also say tju-tju for train, moo-moo for cow and honk-honk for car?

And how long do you continue with the baby words?

I forbid my MIL to tell my daughter that a dog was a bow-wow and a cat a
kitty. I like the right words - the ones that sound neutral in your

specific
surroundings. (Luckily I have the courage to forbid her certain things and
be sure she respects (or rather: does as I say) them)

I see nothing wrong with baby talk. Most of it originates from the children
themselves and the parents merely emulate them. DH had lots of baby talk
words as a child and he doesn't talk like that now. He's highly educated
and speaks as if he is, so I don't think there is any lifelong untoward
effects. DS called the cat Meow for awhile because DH would say, "Kitty
Cat, meow," so the cat's name was Meow. That lasted until he was finally
able to say "Kitty," but we never corrected him. In fact, we used to
emulate him. We didn't always call it Meow, of course, but we didn't say
Kitty to correct DS. We only said it in conversation with him and he knew
the cat was named Kitty (Her name is K.C. for Kitty Cat, DH's creative name
for her). I don't really know of any kindergarteners who talk baby talk
(except of one my MIL knew who was homeschooled). They tend to outgrow it
on their very own, just from learning the language and being around other
children. Peer pressure can get them to speak properly, if nothing else.

Old September 4th 03, 07:26 AM
Tine Andersen

news
wrote:

[...]

I agree with you - it's OK if kids use baby words they make up. I just don't
want them introduced by adults.

It's not an issue anymore in this house - DD is nearly 11 and DS is 6 :-)

Tine

Old September 4th 03, 01:03 PM
Naomi Pardue

I think Booby is fine. I can't imagine a child saying "I want your tit".
People would definitely stare

The are all more appropriate for kids.

I guess I just don't quite see why 'booby' is MORE appropriate than 'num-nums'
or 'milky' or 'Mom-milk' or some other more 'neutral' baby-talk term, if you
are wanting to introduce a baby-talk term for the child.
(Several sources I saw recommended that you SHOULD introduce a
'non-embarassing' term that you use around the toddler, so you DON'T end up
with a situation where, (as some posters wrote), DH (or you) calls it "the boob
bar" (or whatever) so that's what the child starts calling it -- and then, in
public, he starts crying for "the boob-bar!")

IMO, "boob" is an ADULT slang term for breast (or an adolescent insulting term
for it), not an endearing toddler term.
IMO, cute slang terms are fine with our nursing kids, but, when mature adults
are talking about breastfeeding, the word is BREAST, not boob. (Hint... on that
*other* group, they tend to call it "boobfeeding".... We don't really want to
be emulating THEM, do we?)

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

reply.)
Old September 4th 03, 04:20 PM
P. G. Chavez

JennP wrote:

"Naomi Pardue" wrote in message
While I'm delighted... I think she might be even MORE comfortable if you
referred to it as a breast, not a 'boob.'
(Sorry, but this is a real peeve of mine... why must people refer to them

as
'boobs' and 'tits', rather than 'breasts?' Doesn't exactly help with the
acceptance factor...)

Naomi, I thought I was the only one that had that pet peeve. Glad it's not
just me. JMO, of course since many here are very comfortable with using it.
--
JennP.

Me too! Me too! I "taught" my DH to use the term "breast" to refer to
the body part because I think it's more respectful. That doesn't keep
us from using a cute term for nursing: "num-nums."

-Patty, mom to Corinne [Mar-98] and Nathan [May-00]
and stepmom to Victoria [Apr-90]
Old September 4th 03, 06:14 PM
Jan Andrea

"DGoree" wrote:
I am wondering though if we are seeing an age difference here, at least

among
US posters--I can accept that words have different connotations in other
English-speaking countries (hi, Chookie!). This past summer I was shocked

hear a twenty-something mom say to her very young daughter, "Your boob's
showing," meaning that her swimsuit had slipped and was exposing her

nipple.
It didn't seem to bother the other young parents around but it didn't sit

well
with me. However, at 42 I am older than most parents with young children

and
certainly older than the majority of posters here.

I don't think I'd use the term to an older-than-toddler girl to refer to her
nipple -- that's kind of icky. I'm 29, for what that's worth.

Jan
--
Mum to Stephen, 22 May 2000
and Strychnine, EDD 29 September 2003

Old September 4th 03, 07:18 PM
Cathy Weeks

"A&G&K" wrote in message ...

It's called 'Mum-Mum-milk' by the consumer at our house, and he thinks the
vending machines are called 'Mum-Mums'.

Our little 'consumer' pats them and says Boob-ba despite my best efforts
of trying to get her to say 'Mummy Milk'. I think it stems from DH always
asking her if she wanted "drinks from the boobery".

This is so funny! My husband always asked our daughter "do you want
the boob?" if he thought she was hungry. I asked him to quit, and just
say "do you want to nurse?" because the last thing I wanted was a
toddler who shouted "Mom, I want the boob!" when she wanted to nurse.
This was sometime around 14 months. She's now almost 21 months.

He thought I was silly, but agreed. Well, she's started to talk, and
her word for it is "deess." We think it came from "drink" but we're
not sure. However, she's been patting my chest and saying "boo-boo"
and I suspect she's remembering Chris calling them "boobs". She nods
to either "do you want to deess?" or "do you want to nurse?" so she
understands both. I was amused that even though Chris quit using
"boobs" in nursing context that she still remembered it, and might be
using it.

Cathy Weeks
Mommy to Kivi Alexis
Old September 5th 03, 02:28 AM
Nevermind

Dawn Lawson wrote in message ...
Nevermind wrote:
"Tine Andersen" wrote

Still, your poor MIL. I
would never "forbid" my MIL or mother from doing something as harmless
as using a baby-cute word for something, not even a body part. I mean,
I have confidence that I am a greater influence on my kids' vocabulary
than their grannies, and, besides, I respect the two women too much. I
pray that when I become a grandmother, my son's wife doesn't "forbid"
me from being myself around my grandkids. That paragraph just made me
sad.

PFt. You oughta meet my mom if the idea of forbiding something makes
you sad. I have *finally* learned that I *MUST* forbid some behaviours
and comments if I am to be "allowed" to mother my own child.

But that isn't at *all* the situation when a MIL simply wants to talk
babytalk to a baby. It's not safety related and it's not hostile and
it isn't getting in the way of a mother mothering her child in the way
she wants. Hey, I might not like babytalk, but since it will not hurt
my child, or really affect him or her at all, and is just a matter of
personal style and taste, I let my relatives be themselves, just like
I hope my kids will continue to let me be myself when they have kids.
God only knows what little peeve their spouses will come up with to
try to limit my involvement.

My mother has to be told (politely!) to back off with her opinions
sometimes, and my MIL has some, ahem, "odd" ideas, like that when
babies cry, they're just "exercising their lungs." Oh well, they're
not me. I don't need to make the world over so that all my kids'
influences align exactly with my politics and personal taste. You
know?

Lucky you for having two grandmas that you can respect and trust with
your children, is all I can say. I've got one that likes to take DS and
then chase large potential fear biting dog around with a hairbrush while
shouting at him and Grandpa (while I struggle to get DS back....she no
longer gets her mitts on him til the d@mn dog is locked up, and in fact
we don't go in the house til dog is shut in a bedroom), and the other
who has been interfering since day #1 wrt my choices for feeding DS, and
to how I have dealt with being a single mum.

Again, these are safety and respect *to you* issues. These are
important enough to be worth confronting grandparents about.

is today the day? R.Sitter Pregnancy 8 March 17th 04 12:07 AM
RECALL: Target Multicolored Sidewalk Chalk DeliciousTruffles General 0 November 14th 03 12:11 AM
RECALL: Target Multicolored Sidewalk Chalk DeliciousTruffles Pregnancy 0 November 14th 03 12:11 AM
due today!!! Shannon Pregnancy 1 September 15th 03 12:24 PM
40 weeks today Alicia Elliott Pregnancy 7 August 9th 03 11:49 PM