First NIP

Old December 3rd 03, 04:50 PM
Sidheag McCormack

Default First NIP

On a crowded city bus, with an elderly gentleman in the seat next to us -
you don't get much more public than that! Fortunately DS (5w2d old) latched
on beautifully first time and stayed latched, for which I was profoundly
grateful!

Another first - he hasn't had a (really) dirty nappy yet today, and it's
late afternoon. This is unprecedented - but OK at his age, right? He has
had wet ones, and as far as I can tell from our rather unreliable scales
weighs 400g more than he did 2 days ago - so I suppose I'm expecting a 350g
or so explosion soon. Hope it doesn't happen until DH is home to change the
resulting nappy ;-)

Sidheag
DS Colin Oct 27 2003
nak oht

Old December 3rd 03, 07:27 PM
Em

"Sidheag McCormack" wrote in message

On a crowded city bus, with an elderly gentleman in the seat next to us -
you don't get much more public than that! Fortunately DS (5w2d old)

latched
on beautifully first time and stayed latched, for which I was profoundly
grateful!

Good job! I had my first NIP two weeks ago at Subway (the restaurant).
Didn't go quite as well as yours--DS pulled off twice and started to cry (I
think the noise was bothering him and I think he was actually sleepy, not
hungry). I felt like people were going to think I was force-nursing him! I
nursed him in the library yesterday, but there are lots of quiet nooks there
with chairs, so it wasn't really NIP. I have also nursed in front of various
friends, acquaintances, and in-laws. So far, so good. I'm not very graceful
about hooking my bra afterward though!

Another first - he hasn't had a (really) dirty nappy yet today, and it's
late afternoon. This is unprecedented - but OK at his age, right? He has
had wet ones, and as far as I can tell from our rather unreliable scales
weighs 400g more than he did 2 days ago - so I suppose I'm expecting a

350g
or so explosion soon. Hope it doesn't happen until DH is home to change

the
resulting nappy ;-)

I have read a few times that at about 6 weeks is when some breastfed babies
switch their "poop patterns" to an every-couple-of-days type of pattern. I
kind of waited for this with my DS, but he appears to be remaining a
multiple-major-poops-per-day little guy.

--
Em
mama to Lann, 10 weeks old

Old December 3rd 03, 07:42 PM
Sidheag McCormack

Em writes:

Good job! I had my first NIP two weeks ago at Subway (the restaurant).

Congrats to you too!

I have read a few times that at about 6 weeks is when some breastfed
babies switch their "poop patterns" to an every-couple-of-days type of
pattern. I kind of waited for this with my DS, but he appears to be
remaining a multiple-major-poops-per-day little guy.

DS has done plenty since DH got home, clever boy :-)

Sidheag
DS Colin Oct 27 2003
nak oht

Old December 4th 03, 05:49 AM
Irrational Number

Sidheag McCormack wrote:
On a crowded city bus, with an elderly gentleman in the seat next to us -
you don't get much more public than that! Fortunately DS (5w2d old) latched
on beautifully first time and stayed latched, for which I was profoundly
grateful!

Good job! It gets easier and after awhile
you don't even think about it anymore.

-- Anita --
--
SUCCESS FOUR FLIGHTS THURSDAY MORNING ALL AGAINST
TWENTY ONE MILE WIND STARTED FROM LEVEL WITH ENGINE

Old December 4th 03, 10:12 AM
Linz

On 3 Dec 2003 18:48:39 GMT, Richard wrote:

Sidheag McCormack wrote:

: Another first - he hasn't had a (really) dirty nappy yet today, and it's
: late afternoon. This is unprecedented - but OK at his age, right? He has
: had wet ones, and as far as I can tell from our rather unreliable scales
: weighs 400g more than he did 2 days ago - so I suppose I'm expecting a 350g
: or so explosion soon. Hope it doesn't happen until DH is home to change the
: resulting nappy ;-)

ah, but your BFing, so the nappy won't be a bother. yet another advantage.....

Hah! I was sitting in Mothercare feeding YB a couple of weeks ago when
he did a poo that exploded out of his nappy and up his back.

Sidheag, YB's slowly changing his pooing habit - rather than after
every feed it's after roughly alternate feeds during the day and he
went hours last night without a poo. I had to change his nappy anyway
due to the amount of wee - he's got a cold and is feeding /very/
frequently - so I wouldn't worry about the lack of dirty nappies yet.
--
Never knock an idea that started out on the back of a beer mat.
(Colin Pillinger, brains behind Beagle 2.)
Old December 5th 03, 05:49 PM
zeldabee

Linz was all, like:

Sidheag McCormack wrote:

Another first - he hasn't had a (really) dirty nappy yet today, and
it's late afternoon. This is unprecedented - but OK at his age,
right? He has had wet ones, and as far as I can tell from our
rather unreliable scales weighs 400g more than he did 2 days ago -
so I suppose I'm expecting a 350g or so explosion soon. Hope it
doesn't happen until DH is home to change the resulting nappy ;-)

ah, but your BFing, so the nappy won't be a bother. yet another
advantage.....

Hah! I was sitting in Mothercare feeding YB a couple of weeks ago when
he did a poo that exploded out of his nappy and up his back.

Sprogly's done that. He's down to pooping two days out of the week (a couple
of times on "poop days"), and they tend to be big ones. Now he laughs as he
does it, too, and as he's being changed. Like it's a big joke. It's actually
very cute.

If you'd told me a year ago that I'd be posting to the Usenet about poop, I
wouldn't have believed you.

--
z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m
http://NewsReader.Com/

Old December 5th 03, 07:05 PM
Sidheag McCormack

zeldabee writes:

Sprogly's done that. He's down to pooping two days out of the week (a
couple of times on "poop days"), and they tend to be big ones. Now he
laughs as he does it, too, and as he's being changed. Like it's a big
joke. It's actually very cute.

DS thinks it's hilarious when he poos whilst DH is changing him after the
first poo, especially if he manages to do this several times, resulting in
several nappies used up in the changing process. His record so far is three
"squelches" and one "fountain" (DH is not a very fast changer!). DH now has
the policy of refusing to change him until 10 minutes after the last heard
squelch, but it doesn't seem to help - I swear DS is saving it
deliberately. Good thing we're not using disposable nappies, I might find
it less amusing if it were costing us more :-)

Sidheag
DS Colin Oct 27 2003
Old December 5th 03, 08:23 PM
zeldabee

Sidheag McCormack was all, like:
zeldabee writes:

Sprogly's done that. He's down to pooping two days out of the week

(a couple of times on "poop days"), and they tend to be big ones.
Now he laughs as he does it, too, and as he's being changed. Like
it's a big joke. It's actually very cute.

DS thinks it's hilarious when he poos whilst DH is changing him after
the first poo, especially if he manages to do this several times,
resulting in several nappies used up in the changing process. His
record so far is three "squelches" and one "fountain" (DH is not a
very fast changer!). DH now has the policy of refusing to change him
until 10 minutes after the last heard squelch, but it doesn't seem to
help - I swear DS is saving it deliberately. Good thing we're not
using disposable nappies, I might find it less amusing if it were
costing us more :-)

Similarly, Sprogly pooped on Daycare Lady last week, and then laughed. This
was days after he'd peed right in her face. She was not especially pleased,
but I told her (through a translator) that she'd been properly baptized, and
it was part of the bonding process. I don't know if that helped. She's had
long experience taking care of babies, though, so she knows it goes with the
territory.

--
z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m
http://NewsReader.Com/

Old December 9th 03, 10:05 AM
Linz

On 05 Dec 2003 19:05:31 +0000, Sidheag McCormack
wrote:

zeldabee writes:

Sprogly's done that. He's down to pooping two days out of the week (a
couple of times on "poop days"), and they tend to be big ones. Now he
laughs as he does it, too, and as he's being changed. Like it's a big
joke. It's actually very cute.

DS thinks it's hilarious when he poos whilst DH is changing him after the
first poo, especially if he manages to do this several times, resulting in
several nappies used up in the changing process. His record so far is three
"squelches" and one "fountain" (DH is not a very fast changer!). DH now has
the policy of refusing to change him until 10 minutes after the last heard
squelch, but it doesn't seem to help - I swear DS is saving it
deliberately. Good thing we're not using disposable nappies, I might find
it less amusing if it were costing us more :-)

Ah, now here we /do/ have a routine! Remove nappy, put a piece of
kitchen roll under YB's bum and hold a piece over his penis, or flip a
muslin over him. Sort out next nappy or let him kick for a bit - he
likes bare bum time - then give him a good clean. We were using water
but now use a chamomile and honey tea wash so his bum is not only free
of redness but smells gorgeous. If he "squelches" during this time
there's no loss of nappy and I rarely feel any need to rush now,
except at 3 in the morning when I want to be asleep or at any point
when we're actually supposed to be leaving the house to catch a train!

Don't you find there's something really nice about the shape and feel
of a cotton-clad baby bum? I do!