Babies having babies

Old January 28th 04, 02:13 AM
alissa

Default Babies having babies

"Taniwha grrrl" wrote in message
Jamie Clark wrote:

I was a latch key kid for a while.
It's common (or used to be) starting around 10 years old

and up. Old
enough to make your own food and generally be responsible

for
yourself, but certainly not old enough to "know better."

I didn't
get into too much trouble, but I wouldn't recommend it for

anyone.

Me too around the age of 11-13 after my dad ****ed off, and
had to be responsible for my 5 year old brother. Not a good
thing, he got run over by a car one morning and I just left
him in the hands of the man who hit him and carried on to
school!!!! I don't know how my mother didn't loose her mind.
She gave up full time work about 2 years later which was
whacky as by that stage I 'was' responsible enough.

--
Andrea

If I can't be a good example, then I'll just have to be a
horrible warning.

I was a latch key kid too from about the age of 9 I refused to be babysat

and it was only for 30-40 mins as mum was a teacher and it was the time it
took her to drive home, I lived a 5 min walk from school and while I didn't
do anything bad I was afraid to go into the house so I waited in the yard
and used to do dangerous stuff like climb onto the roof which was flat but
was very high from the ground due to slopeing block. She had neighbours
supposedly keeping an eye on me from a distance, the only time they did this
was when I'd sneek via the shop on the way to school and spend my lunch
money on lollies!
As a teenager my mum post divorce hooked up with an alcoholic ( he was a
closet drinker and I initially thought he was mad) so then I used to walk
home very very slowly to aviod being at home alone with him.
Alissa

Old January 28th 04, 02:28 AM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Chotii wrote:

"Jody Pellerin" wrote in message

wrote in message
. ..
On 27 Jan 2004 13:03:28 -0800, in misc.kids.pregnancy
(Cookie) wrote:

:Keep in mind that I do not know all of the details of this story.
:
:I just read an article about an 11 year old having a child and the
:father was 26. The father (the boyfriend) ran away fearing charges.
:I have an 12 year old sister and we know where she is and who she is
:with. How does an 11 year old get away with hanging out alone with a
:boy yet alone a 26 year old? Not to mention the fact that the 26 year
ld should have known better.

Maybe she was a latch key kid.

What does 'latch key kid' mean?

A latch key kid is a child of school age who, because the parent(s) work and
does not or cannot arrange things so that a parent is at home when the child
comes home from school. The child has a key to the house, and is alone
without supervision/adult care until such time as the parent(s) can get
home. It's by no means a new problem. It was a *terrible* problem during
WWII, when women entered the work force in unprecedented numbers. Day
nurseries and other such forms of child care were not nearly as available as
they ought to have been, considering the need. Surely it's a problem in
other countries and other cultures also, for this or other reasons.

--angela

I was a "latch key kid" a lot of times and I loved it. It was the only
time I had the house to myself. It was great! Some people didn't trust
me, which used to really tick me off. However, I always proved them
wrong, so... ;-)

Old January 28th 04, 02:30 AM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Anne Marie wrote:

Just to add my $.02. My parents adopted alot of children and one of them
was from Vietnam and came to my parents soon after the war ended. She
was 10 at the time. The second night that she was with them, she woke my
mom up screaming and holding her stomach, my mom couldn't talk to get
in Vietnamese. So they rushed her to the ER. and a couple hours later
she gave birth to a baby. A ten year old, having a baby. She was already
married and had been raped many times. Though it seems strange to us,
in other parts its so so uncommon (very young girls getting pregnant by
much older men) Not saying its right, but unfortunately it happens! That
is truly sad though. I hope everything works out for her and the baby.

AnneMarie
Xandria Marie EDD 6-03-04

I know someone whose grandmother was married at 13, officially. It was
an arranged marriage, in India. Apparently, things worked out well.
The story goes that the husband used to use cookies to get her to stop
being shy.

Old January 28th 04, 02:50 AM
Chotii

"Anne Marie" wrote in message

Just to add my $.02. My parents adopted alot of children and one of them
was from Vietnam and came to my parents soon after the war ended. She
was 10 at the time. The second night that she was with them, she woke my
mom up screaming and holding her stomach, my mom couldn't talk to get
in Vietnamese. So they rushed her to the ER. and a couple hours later
she gave birth to a baby. A ten year old, having a baby. She was already
married and had been raped many times. Though it seems strange to us,
in other parts its so so uncommon (very young girls getting pregnant by
much older men) Not saying its right, but unfortunately it happens! That
is truly sad though. I hope everything works out for her and the baby.

I'm curious how it was nobody noticed a 10 year old was pregnant? Was she
especially tall and/or overweight, or was she assumed to have a
starvation-swollen belly, or....?

--angela

Old January 28th 04, 03:27 AM
Anne Marie

I'm curious how it was nobody noticed a 10 year old was pregnant? Was she
especially tall and/or overweight, or was she assumed to have a
starvation-swollen belly, or....?

--angela

You have to remember that she was with my parents for 2 days when this
happen, they didn't have any way of communicating. The girl didn't have
any idea what was going on ( physically or emotionally) and my parents
didn't either. there was alot more happening at the time... She did not
look pregnant.. I believe that the baby was not full term, she was of
asian ancestry, she was small and didn't wear fitted clothing . She
wasn't wearing jeans and a tee shirt. I am 22 weeks pregnant and if i
don't wear clothes that are fitted, you can't tell that i am pregnant. I
know its hard to believe, but it is true. I am sure that if my mom knew
her from the start she would see the difference. I am wouldn't be
surprised if someone did know about it, but they didn't tell my mother
because of the fear that they wouldn't take her knowing she was going to
have a baby (that wouldn't be the case). I am sure it was over looked or
ignored by someone but that was the end result.

AnneMarie
#1 Xandria Marie EDD 06-03-05

Old January 28th 04, 09:03 AM
Anne Rogers

A latch key kid is a child who is unsupervised at home after school before
her folks come home. They have a key to their house, and are supposed to
entertain themselves and not get into trouble for 3-4 hours every day,
unattended. I was a latch key kid for a while. It's common (or used to be)
starting around 10 years old and up. Old enough to make your own food and
generally be responsible for yourself, but certainly not old enough to "know
better." I didn't get into too much trouble, but I wouldn't recommend it
for anyone.

me too, from about 9 I think til I started a new school just before I was
11. I was a very good child, so I never got into trouble, but it's one of
my worst childhood memories.

Old January 28th 04, 04:49 PM
Mary Gordon

Hey, I do genealogy for a hobby. When I started looking into my
husband's family, I was startled to discover his great grandmother was
13 years old when she had her first child....and his great grandfather
had been a man of 27 at the time. They stayed married and had a stack
of children together, but I'm willing to bet money there was a shotgun
at the wedding.

He'd have been going to jail if it happened today.

Mary G.