Glucose drink

Old January 27th 04, 02:59 PM
Shena Delian O'Brien

Default Glucose drink

melbgal1 wrote:

I've heard it's like Metamucil.
My test is next week.

I can't imagine it being compared to Metamucil. What drink do you get?

Old January 27th 04, 03:11 PM
Ericka Kammerer

rsitter wrote:

so this time, when i failed the finger prick test, i declined the 3
hour test and went straight for the diet. i'd rather have three
months of a restricted diet than do that test again anyday. i've been
doing it for about 4 weeks now i guess, and it's not that bad. i'm
actually very glad to have done it, even though i have to poke my
finger 4 times a day. i feel a lot better and with more energy than i
did prior to changing my diet. also, it will hopefully help with
losing weight after delivery. the only thing is that with the very
very small amount of carbs allowed, i'm having trouble even meeting
the 1800 calories they want me to get.

i've never been pre-disposed to diabetes and didn't have a problem
with either of my two previous pregnancies, so my ob didn't think i
had anything to worry about. so now i'm glad that they insist on
testing everyone 'cause i didn't feel like i had a problem, i just
felt a little more tired.

You do realize that it's entirely possible that you
don't have any problem this time, right? The one hour
test is a screening test, just like the AFP test. A very
large percentage of those who "fail" the screening test
turn out to have no problems whatsoever. The fact that
you feel better on the diet is also no indication, as
many people with normal glucose metabolism will feel
better eating healthy foods ;-)

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old January 27th 04, 03:19 PM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Elfanie wrote:

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 08:34:54 +0930, "Leanne"
wrote:

It's terrible!

I'm sitting here right now, looking at the damn thing not wanting to drink
anymore...

There are LOTS of options for what you can eat/drink for the
GTT....candy, apple juice....lots of options. Glucola is just a
pre-packaged convenient one..

Glucola? Heh heh, I sense a marketing strategy, here... ;-) So, I
wonder why the makers of Orange Crush don't use this strategy? That
stuff is loaded with sugar. Just buy some, let it go flat, and that
would be about the same thing. Right? Heck, I think someone else in
the thread said that Orange Crush was sweeter, so that would make even
more usefuul. ;-)

Old January 27th 04, 03:26 PM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Sandi wrote:

"Jill" wrote in message
. com...

"Leanne" wrote in message

It's terrible!

I think by another month it will be time for me to take the glucose test
too. Is the drink really really awful?? I like orange soda and kool aid-

is

it carbonated, or more like koolaid-- does it actually taste like a sweet
drink, or does it taste like a very sweet terrible thing you have to

drink,

that doesn't taste like a drink?

I was hoping it would taste like orange kool aid or something...something
tolerable.

I've always kind of thought it tasted like the orange drink you can get at
McDonald's. You know, the one they usually give to the kids.

Ah, you mean the stuff that they always give me when I ask for orange
*juice*. I have to give them heck all the time and demand *juice* (and
sometimes this involves a return). Granted, it's not a popular item,
but they do sell the stuff (Minute Maid *juice* with pulp) and are
willing to put it in large cups. You would think that they would be
happy that someone is asking for it. ;-) I ask for it every single
time that I go. I hate every other beverage that they sell.

Old January 27th 04, 03:56 PM
KD

Oh - you got to drink water?? I was told no food or water at all from
midnight until after the test. It actually made the orange stuff
taste pretty good since I was so thirsty by 9:00 AM!

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 19:22:31 -0500, Nan wrote:

Did you have the orange? I chose the lemon-lime and it wasn't really
that bad. I was uncomfortable after drinking it, but that's because
I'd drunk a bunch of water that morning already, and was bloated.

Nan

Old January 27th 04, 04:00 PM
Donna

"Ericka Kammerer" wrote in message
Shena Delian O'Brien wrote:

A friend of mine in England declined the GTT with her baby. (Her first,
born about 6.5 weeks ago.) When, later in her pregnancy, they determined
the baby was going to be large, they started blaming and lecturing her
about having undiagnosed gestational diabetes. They just ASSUMED because
she hadn't taken the test and her baby was big, that she had GD and now
her baby was 'damaged' and it was all her fault. She went home from that
appointment feeling like she was the worst mom in the world and had
created a monster.

That's just craziness. I hope she doesn't believe that! I declined the
glucose test as well. My baby was (and continues to be) a big girl - just
like her father. But no physician ever suggested that that has anything to
do with undiagnosed GD - just genetics. shakes head

Yeah, that's why I declined routine u/s as well ;-)
If you start going against the grain, you do often have to
be somewhat thick skinned.

And well informed. Honestly, in every situation (not just pregnancy,
although that is certainly my most recent medical encounter), simply saying
"This is what I have learned, and therefore this is what I have chosen to
do" has been met very positively. I'm constantly amazed by these reports of
medical bullying. I've *never* come across the like.

Donna

Old January 27th 04, 04:01 PM
KD

I thought it tasted and smelled just like orange soda but somewhat
sweeter and with a kind of funny aftertaste. By the end of the bottle
I was feeling a little 'gaggy' but I didn't gag at all. I think it
was mostly knowing that it was 'supposed to be' a gross thick sweet
drink. I really didn't think it was bad at all.

Old January 27th 04, 04:39 PM
Jody Pellerin

Like the screening test, I don't want the glucose test. I didn't get the
screening test done. My doctor gave me the sheet, told me to think about it,
I did and he never asked if I wanted it and if he did, I was going to say no
anyways.
Is it not generally, the bigger the baby, the better anyways? Smaller babies
have a harder time.

Old January 27th 04, 05:06 PM
Carla

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 16:01:55 GMT, (KD) wrote:

I thought it tasted and smelled just like orange soda but somewhat
sweeter and with a kind of funny aftertaste. By the end of the bottle
I was feeling a little 'gaggy' but I didn't gag at all. I think it
was mostly knowing that it was 'supposed to be' a gross thick sweet
drink. I really didn't think it was bad at all.

I just took mine (the orange) this morning and I only had to drink a
half a bottle -- there was another woman there and we split the
bottle. It was a little thickish but I choked it down and then sat
down to wait out the hour.

About 10 minutes after we both got our blood withdrawn, they had the
other lady's results and hers was 147 and they told her that she had
to come back for the 3 hour screening. We were the same age, size,
both pg with our first child, both boys due a week apart -- Well, I
just knew that I was going to have to come back too. Then about 2
minutes later, they came and told me that my count was only 96 and
that I didn't have to have the other screening...so phew! But, she
did tell me that my iron was a little low and to get some supplements
-- I was kind of freaked about that but she said that it was okay and
to just take these supplements opposite of my prenatal vitamins.

Anyway, the only really weird thing about the drink was how it got the
baby so wound up. Sweets have almost all but repulsed me during my
whole pregnancy so I think he must have gotten a little hopped up on
that half bottle of glucola!

Hope all is well with everyone!
Carla

Old January 27th 04, 06:00 PM
Shena Delian O'Brien

KD wrote:

Oh - you got to drink water?? I was told no food or water at all from
midnight until after the test. It actually made the orange stuff
taste pretty good since I was so thirsty by 9:00 AM!

I was told to eat a normal breakfast, avoid sugary foods, and could
drink as much water as I wanted.

I ate a PBJ for breakfast, drank plenty of water, and drank my lime
drink at 11:00. I went in for blood draw at 12:00 and my sugar came back
at 94. They were happy.