ot- chicken pox vaccine

Old May 25th 04, 05:48 PM
Rob and Jami

Default ot- chicken pox vaccine

Hello,

My son had the varcilla(?) vaccine. He was playing with his two little
cousins who had the chicken pox (one vaccinated, one not) on May 15. Their
mother didn't know that they had it. Anyways, today he woke up with two
little spots (one on his forehead and one on his neck), no fever, no
vomiting. I was just wondering how effective the vaccine is, and if it is
possible that these are just bug bites.

TIA
Jami
Wife to Rob March 9, 2002
Mommy to Jordan July 30, 2001
And future mommy to "princess" edd August 21, 2004

Old May 25th 04, 06:15 PM
Sophie

Hello,

My son had the varcilla(?) vaccine. He was playing with his two little
cousins who had the chicken pox (one vaccinated, one not) on May 15.

Their
mother didn't know that they had it. Anyways, today he woke up with two
little spots (one on his forehead and one on his neck), no fever, no
vomiting. I was just wondering how effective the vaccine is, and if it is
possible that these are just bug bites.

TIA
Jami
Wife to Rob March 9, 2002
Mommy to Jordan July 30, 2001
And future mommy to "princess" edd August 21, 2004

Mine all had the vaccine and none got the pox.
I don't know any kids these days that get the pox, either naturally or from
the vaccine.

I hope it's just bug bites.

Sophie
#4 due July 7, 2004

Old May 25th 04, 06:40 PM
Mary W.

Rob and Jami wrote:

Hello,

My son had the varcilla(?) vaccine. He was playing with his two little
cousins who had the chicken pox (one vaccinated, one not) on May 15. Their
mother didn't know that they had it. Anyways, today he woke up with two
little spots (one on his forehead and one on his neck), no fever, no
vomiting. I was just wondering how effective the vaccine is, and if it is
possible that these are just bug bites.

It's possible to get the chicken pox even with the vaccine, but likely
the case will be less severe. They thought it was going around my
daughter's class last fall, but none of the kids got very sick, and
I think most had been vaccinated. Its unclear if it was really chicken
pox or something else (DD never got whatever it was).

Mary

Old May 25th 04, 06:48 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Rob and Jami wrote:

Hello,

My son had the varcilla(?) vaccine. He was playing with his two little
cousins who had the chicken pox (one vaccinated, one not) on May 15. Their
mother didn't know that they had it. Anyways, today he woke up with two
little spots (one on his forehead and one on his neck), no fever, no
vomiting. I was just wondering how effective the vaccine is, and if it is
possible that these are just bug bites.

It is not the world's most effective vaccine in
terms of preventing chicken pox entirely, but kids who
do get chicken pox even if they've had the vaccine tend
to have a very mild case. I don't know what the incubation
period is either. It's definitely within the realm of
possibility that this is chicken pox. I think the
effectiveness of the vaccine is something like 83 percent
the first year (less if the vaccine was given at 12
months rather than 15 months), and it's likely less
after that.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old May 25th 04, 06:57 PM
Circe

Ericka Kammerer wrote:
Rob and Jami wrote:

Hello,

My son had the varcilla(?) vaccine. He was playing with his two
little cousins who had the chicken pox (one vaccinated, one not)
on May 15. Their mother didn't know that they had it. Anyways,
today he woke up with two little spots (one on his forehead and
one on his neck), no fever, no vomiting. I was just wondering how
effective the vaccine is, and if it is possible that these are
just bug bites.

It is not the world's most effective vaccine in
terms of preventing chicken pox entirely, but kids who
do get chicken pox even if they've had the vaccine tend
to have a very mild case. I don't know what the incubation
period is either.

7-14 days, IIRC, so he's definitely within the window. It certainly *could*
be a mild case of chicken pox.
--
Be well, Barbara
Mom to Sin (Vernon, 2), Misery (Aurora, 4), and the Rising Son (Julian, 6)

Aurora (in the bathroom with her dad)--"It looks like an elephant, Daddy."
Me (later)--"You should feel flattered."

Old May 25th 04, 07:02 PM
Leslie

IIRC, the incubation period for chicken pox is between 7-21 days, so it's
certainly possible he could have it. You'll know soon enough, as more spots
will appear, and they are more like tiny blisters than bug bites. Chances are
he will have a mild case, though.

Leslie
Old May 25th 04, 07:04 PM
Leslie

I don't know any kids these days that get the pox, either naturally or from
the vaccine.

My boys both had it seven years ago. Was that before vaccination for it really
took off? I'm not having William vaccinated for it yet and I was really hoping
he would catch it while young (I had it at 22--about the sickest I've ever
been!).

Leslie
Old May 25th 04, 07:12 PM
Circe

Leslie wrote:
I don't know any kids these days that get the pox, either
naturally or from the vaccine.

My boys both had it seven years ago. Was that before vaccination
for it really took off?

Probably depends on your area. My nephew had it when he was 4yo, and he's 15
now. In those days, almost no one was vaccinated, AFAIK. When Julian was old
enough to get the vaccine (a little over 6 years ago), the vaccine was just
starting to make its way into common usage but still not probably super
common. These days, varicella vaccine (or having had the disease) is on the
list of "required" vaccines for school entry (though you can always get a
waiver), so outbreaks of chicken pox are passingly rare in my area.

I'm not having William vaccinated for it
yet and I was really hoping he would catch it while young (I had it
at 22--about the sickest I've ever been!).

I had all my kids vaccinated against chicken pox on schedule. I couldn't see
the point in delaying the vaccine since the likelihood of them catching it
at an early age was all but eliminated by the fact that the vaccine is so
common nowadays. I figured it was better for them to be vaccinated--even if
it didn't offer 100% immunity--because a mild case of chicken pox is better
than a full-on case.

Old May 25th 04, 07:13 PM
Leslie

I had all my kids vaccinated against chicken pox on schedule. I couldn't see
the point in delaying the vaccine since the likelihood of them catching it
at an early age was all but eliminated by the fact that the vaccine is so
common nowadays. I figured it was better for them to be vaccinated--even if
it didn't offer 100% immunity--because a mild case of chicken pox is better
than a full-on case.

There's something to be said for that, certainly. William hasn't had any
vaccinations at this point. If he reaches adolescence without having
contracted chicken pox naturally, we'll consider it then.

Leslie
Old May 25th 04, 08:15 PM
Sophie

"Leslie" wrote in message
I don't know any kids these days that get the pox, either naturally or

from
the vaccine.

My boys both had it seven years ago. Was that before vaccination for it

really
took off? I'm not having William vaccinated for it yet and I was really

hoping
he would catch it while young (I had it at 22--about the sickest I've ever
been!).

Leslie

Yeah I'd say that's about right. Charlotte's almost 6 and I think it was
fairly new when she had the vaccine, and I had to time it right cos I was
pregnant with Patrick (could only be given during my 2nd trimester).

As an adult it's supposed to be quite bad.

Get flu, get spine adjusted? (also: college vaccination fraud) Todd Gastaldo Pregnancy 0 April 13th 04 05:42 PM
chicken pox vaccine alissa Pregnancy 4 January 6th 04 08:47 AM
Vaccination is NOT immunization/Breastfeeding *is* immunization! Todd Gastaldo Pregnancy 30 October 6th 03 09:16 PM
Chicken pox vaccine and pregnancy [email protected] Pregnancy 6 October 5th 03 07:52 PM
VACCINATION SUBLUXATION! (Thimerosal: Sen Frist subluxating VICA) Todd Gastaldo Pregnancy 0 September 15th 03 09:19 PM