Feeling umbilical cord... WEIRD!

Old November 7th 04, 09:11 PM
Mum of Two

"Unadulterated Me" wrote in message
Zaz wrote:

It's like when I lay on my back and the midwife can feel the baby's head,
feet, hands... This is only one different part of what's going on inside.

At the end of pregnancy things are very thin, I have grabbed little feet
and moved wee knees at times, very easy to feel as everything is stretched
so thin. When I was pregnant with the twins and Amelia's head was sitting
sort of right under my armpit I swear I could feel her ears and face
features at times the veil was so thin.

I was never able to feel bits like this. I wonder if it was because I had a
lot of fluid, with both babies, at least it seemed that way to me. I was
huge with both, but didn't have big babies, and was a lot smaller after
birth so I don't think it was _all_ fat g
With DS my waters went with a huge bang and drenched everyone standing
nearby, with DD it was more of a dull pop and I had hindwaters that seemed
to go on forever. Surely if you have a fair bit of fluid, it would make it
harder to feel all the bits.

--
Amy,
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,

Old November 8th 04, 03:49 AM
Zaz

Zaz wrote:

It's like when I lay on my back and the midwife can feel the baby's head,
feet, hands... This is only one different part of what's going on inside.

At the end of pregnancy things are very thin, I have grabbed little feet
and moved wee knees at times, very easy to feel as everything is stretched
so thin. When I was pregnant with the twins and Amelia's head was sitting
sort of right under my armpit I swear I could feel her ears and face
features at times the veil was so thin.

Andrea

That's what I'm inclined to think.. I mean, there are currently NO muscle,
and NO fat on top of my uterus. It is a big egg-shaped bulge, where I can
even feel little toes sometimes...

Old November 8th 04, 05:00 PM
Kaybee

wow that is cool. I have never felt that. It seams cool. I do get the
foot, hand etc

Kay
Eva 9/2002
little boy 1/2005
"Zaz" wrote in message
Has anyone ever felt that?

This is the second morning I can feel the umbilical cord of my baby, right
by my rib, on the left side. The first time, I thought I'd imagined it in

semi-comatose sleep I didn't want to get out of... This morning, as I

rolled
on my back from right to left (holding my belly, I don't want to strain it
again), I got this thing in my ribs. I thought it was a foot, and felt
disappointed as baby has dropped a lot in the past two days, and I thought
"Dang. She's back up".

But then I touched, to have her remove it from there, where it hurt.
Well... It was not a foot, not a hand, it was... a cord! I could feel its
curve, and then, I could take it between two fingers, and follow its line

little while. Yep, that was the umbilical cord, no doubt about it, and

now
I know I didn't dream it the last time. I was surprised at how solid and
hard it is.

Has anyone ever experienced this?

Isabelle
EDD (now please!)

Old November 9th 04, 07:51 PM
Unadulterated Me

Mum of Two wrote:

Surely if you have a fair bit of fluid, it would make it
harder to feel all the bits.

I imagine so, can't ever say I've had a lot by term, my waters only
break at birth and it's not that significant.

Andrea
Old November 9th 04, 08:57 PM
Zaz

I talked to my midwife, and she said what I probably felt was a leg, or part
of a leg, like an ankle, and the curve I thought was there was probably the
back of the foot or of the heel... :-( She says the cord is too smooth
within the womb to be felt.

Now I feel a bit ridiculous. Oh, well. It won't be the first time I make a
fool of myself!

"Elfanie" wrote in message
On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 14:10:48 -0500, "Zaz"
wrote:

Oh, and I forget... No, I didn't feel it pulsing. So maybe you're right
and
it wasn't that... Mmm.. Maybe a ligament, then?

You got me wondering with that one... (and worrying too, but I won't get
into that).

Oh no no no...don't you DARE let my confusion make you worry about
anything. =) Like you said...baby's moving and doing well, so
whatever it is obviously is just fine...

I'm just intensely curious. I've felt HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS of
bellies...and even the thinnest moms who are easy to palpate you can't
feel things like toes and finer details...
so what you're describing is just intensely unusual. doesn't mean
you're not accurate in what you're feeling...doesn't mean that there
is anything to worry about..

just means...it's unusual...and therefore has peaked my curiosity! =)
Please let me know if you find out what it was...

Stephanie Soderblom CLD CCCE CD(DONA) ICD
Mesa, AZ
Mommy to Mikael 5/9/95 - Kerstyn 8/6/99 - and Kevin 8/30/02
New baby due end of May 2005
Student Midwife
Birth Doula / Childbirth Educator / Pregnancy and Birth Photography

http://www.birthdiaries.com - Birth Story Diaries=REAL BIRTHS = REAL
PHOTOS

Old November 10th 04, 05:14 AM
Kelly

Don't feel ridiculous-you didn't know what it was and based on what you felt
you came up with what seemed pretty logical to you. It is still pretty cool
how well defined you felt that.

Warmly,
Kelly

Old November 10th 04, 06:26 AM
Mum of Two

I still think it's neat. I never felt anything but a back, a head, and even
then I'm not so sure it wasn't a butt.

--
Amy,
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,