Just wondering: How old were you all when your babies were born?

Old December 2nd 03, 07:55 PM
Christine

Default Just wondering: How old were you all when your babies wereborn?

I will be 38 in Jan. and I'm due at the end of May....first child..

Old December 3rd 03, 08:56 PM
Taniwha grrrl

C&J wrote:

Let me break this down for ya......jumping down your

throat LOL
Here what was said.......pay close attention okay.

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 22:59:33 GMT, Shena Delian O'Brien
wrote:
"Wow
she must take a lot of vitamins to ward off

osteoporosis.."

Buzzy Bee said............
Do you really think osteoporosis is caused by a lack of
*vitamins*?????

My comment was..............
Ummm.........yes! And many other factors too!

Did you get that? I said *other factors too*

So why would *my* taking multivitamins because of my many
pregnancies be of benefit to warding of oesteoporosis when
the only vitamin of significance is Vit D and all you have
to do to get enough of that is go outside and get some
sunlight.

--
Andrea

If I can't be a good example, then I'll just have to be a
horrible warning.

Old December 3rd 03, 10:31 PM
C&J

wrote:
"Wow
she must take a lot of vitamins to ward off

osteoporosis.."

Buzzy Bee said............
Do you really think osteoporosis is caused by a lack of
*vitamins*?????

My comment was..............
Ummm.........yes! And many other factors too!

Did you get that? I said *other factors too*

So why would *my* taking multivitamins because of my many
pregnancies be of benefit to warding of oesteoporosis when
the only vitamin of significance is Vit D and all you have
to do to get enough of that is go outside and get some
sunlight.

You can take all the *multivitamins* you want. They *can* be benificial in
anyones diet. And as far as Vitamin D, your right all you have to do is
spend time outside to get your dose of Vitamin D. But we are still talking
about a Vitamin. I am not arguing pregnancy and osteoporosis are linked
(which there has been *rare* cases) I'm talking about needing vitamin D for
optimal calcium absorption. I could go on to say what one that has as many
kids as you have *could be* at risk for but we just won't go there.

Crystal

Old December 4th 03, 01:04 AM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
C&J wrote:

* I think maybe you're having a problem conveying what you're trying to
*then,
* because Hillary's statement made perfect sense.
*
*Vitamin D
*
*Vitamin D is a steroid hormone that functions to regulate specific gene
*expression following interaction with its intracellular receptor. The
*biologically active form of the hormone is 1,25-dihydroxy vitamin D3
*(1,25-(OH)2D3, also termed calcitriol). Calcitriol functions primarily to
*regulate calcium and phosphorous homeostasis.
*
*Ok is that perfect enough for the both of you?

Um - this does not address the question at hand. I know what vitamin D is,
of course. I do not believe I would have received my degree had I failed
to demonstrate an understanding calcium homeostasis and the regulatory
hormones. That being said, my question was, can anyone confirm or deny
that vitamin D deficiency is an underlying cause of osteoporosis. I asked
that because you seemed to clearly implicate it as such. Now, it seems
like you are saying that isn't what you meant, and I totally don't get
your point anymore. Perhaps you can clarify your point, rather than simply
offering a definition of vitamin D? I will clarify from my end: I had
thought you were saying that osteoporosis was caused by vitamin D
deficiency. I had thought that the major cause of osteoporosis was a
calcium deficiency brought on by lack of dietary calcium intake, and NOT
brought on due to vitamin D deficiency. Then I went ahead and did a quick
lit review and saw that I was perhaps mistaken, and asked if anyone else
had any info - because it seemed like some studies are in fact showing
that hypovitaminosis D is a big reason certain groups of people develop
osteoporosis.

Old December 4th 03, 01:07 AM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
C&J wrote:

*Clinical Significance of Vitamin D Deficiency
*
*As a result of the addition of vitamin D to milk, deficiencies in this
*vitamin are rare in this country. The main symptom of vitamin D deficiency
*in children is rickets and in adults is osteomalacia. Rickets is
*characterized improper mineralization during the development of the bones
*resulting in soft bones. Osteomalacia is characterized by demineralization
*of previously formed bone leading to increased softness and susceptibility
*to fracture.

This still doesn't address the question - is hypovitaminosis D a major
cause of osteoporosis or not? I know what happens in the absence of
vitamin D. I did not think there was a significant population experiencing
hypovitaminosis D and secondary osteoporosis, is all. Like I said, it
seemed upon a quick review that I could be mistaken in that regard.
Apparently some nursing home residents and others ARE deficient in vitamin
D, and developing osteoporosis. I had, however, thought that the major
cause of osteoporosis was related to other hormonal changes as women age,
and insufficient dietary calcium.

Old December 4th 03, 01:10 AM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
C&J wrote:
*
*Hillary then went on to say.................
* You know what? I didn't think that hypovitaminosis D was an underlying
* cause of many cases of osteoporosis - but a quick lit review suggests it
* possibly may be, in which case I stand corrected.
*
*She didn't think........but yet she stands corrected.
*Okay......LOL

I fail to see the humor, quite frankly.
In the quote you include, above, I stated that while I previously had not
thought that hypovitaminosis D was an underlying cause of many cases of
osteoporosis, I now think maybe I was wrong. What is FUNNY enough about
that to make you laugh out loud?? Just because I didn't fully comprehend
the epidemiology of osteoporosis, you think I'm some kind of clown?
Honestly, you're coming off as pretty rude.

*I haven't read enough to know if that's true or not,
*though. Can anyone else confirm if hypovitaminosis D is
*anywhere near as prevalent as osteoporosis??
*
*But I have read and gone through enough that I do know.
*...........But once again the trick word was *vitamin*.

So, since you know, could you tell me (approximately) what percent of the
osteoporosis in the US is caused by hypovitaminosis D as opposed to
straight-up insufficient dietary calcium or other causes? I'd like to
know. Thanks very much in advance.

-hillary

Old December 7th 03, 12:20 AM
H Schinske

Maria Danielle Darst wrote:

as for me....only 2 babies:

and Andrea replied:

HOLY COW!! only2!!!
What do you drive them around in? How many bedrooms do you
have?? What's meal time like with those 2? How do you do it?

/kidding of course ;-)

And what do you do with all that extra money you must have? ;-)

--Helen
Old December 8th 03, 10:12 PM
Elaine

In article , Hillary Israeli wrote:
[...]

This may or may not be germane. However, in celiac disease, vitamin D
is flushed out through the stool, along with everything that the person
fails to absorb. After treatment with a gluten-free diet and intestinal
healing, many people do not begin to rebuild bone until they add a
vitamin-D supplement in addition to the calcium supplementation.

Nearly everyone (90%? somewhere around there) diagnosed with CD as
an adult has bone loss, even those who are still absorbing calcium
well. One theory is that since the first thing you stop absorbing
is dietary fat, and since cholesterol numbers are so low in people
with CD - they just don't synthesize enough vitamin D, regardless
of sun exposure.

Elaine (who lives in vitamin-D winter for half the year)