Feeling umbilical cord... WEIRD!

Old November 6th 04, 12:06 PM
Zaz

Default Feeling umbilical cord... WEIRD!

Has anyone ever felt that?

This is the second morning I can feel the umbilical cord of my baby, right
by my rib, on the left side. The first time, I thought I'd imagined it in a
semi-comatose sleep I didn't want to get out of... This morning, as I rolled
on my back from right to left (holding my belly, I don't want to strain it
again), I got this thing in my ribs. I thought it was a foot, and felt
disappointed as baby has dropped a lot in the past two days, and I thought
"Dang. She's back up".

But then I touched, to have her remove it from there, where it hurt.
Well... It was not a foot, not a hand, it was... a cord! I could feel its
curve, and then, I could take it between two fingers, and follow its line a
little while. Yep, that was the umbilical cord, no doubt about it, and now
I know I didn't dream it the last time. I was surprised at how solid and
hard it is.

Has anyone ever experienced this?

Isabelle
EDD (now please!)

Old November 6th 04, 12:10 PM
Nikki

Zaz wrote:

Has anyone ever experienced this?

No - that is incredible! I couldn't even find the head versus elbow versus
foot. I'm lame, lol.

--
Nikki

Old November 6th 04, 12:54 PM
Zaz

Oh, you'd recognize this: it felt like part of a thick ring... you know,
like a garden hose?
No mistake about it, it was a cord!

Old November 6th 04, 09:28 PM
Mum of Two

Wow! That's incredible! I could pick out hands and feet by how they moved
(hard kicks or poking and pinching) but I couldn't feel them with my hand. I
thought I found a head one time, but I think it was a butt. A cord....that's
just amazing.

--
Amy,
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,

Old November 6th 04, 10:15 PM
Unadulterated Me

Zaz wrote:

Has anyone ever felt that?

No not than I can recall, how strange and interesting.

Andrea
Old November 7th 04, 12:22 AM
Mamma Mia

i have never been able to distinguish anything, but dont suppose it was an
arm or leg was it? not that i doubt you

Old November 7th 04, 12:39 PM
Zaz

"Mamma Mia" wrote in message
u...
i have never been able to distinguish anything, but dont suppose it was an
arm or leg was it? not that i doubt you

That's all right. I did wonder the same thing. However, it was so close to
my skin I could follow it. It really felt like some sort of a ring, quite
hard, and I could follow it through about 3/4 of a circle. It was so
pressed against my skin that I could in fact take it between two fingers,
and feel its roundness. It couldn't be an arm, as it was too high and baby
is already descended, and it couldn't be an arm: no baby at 38 weeks could
be that skinny! The other thing that gave me a clue as to what it was is the
fact that no matter how much I poked at it, it didn't move. Whenever I get
an arm or a leg, I only need to push a little to create a real havoc of
movements. Both times I felt this, there was nothing I could do to have it
move, except get up so it would go down.

I am 99,9% positive it was the umbilical cord...

Old November 7th 04, 07:08 PM
Zaz

It was not outside the uterus, I don't see how it could get outside as my
cervix is still tight closed.

I can always feel and identify my baby's members very accurately, and this
part did not differ... I am not worried, as baby is alive, kicking, and I'm
having contractions.

It's like when I lay on my back and the midwife can feel the baby's head,
feet, hands... This is only one different part of what's going on inside.

"Elfanie" wrote in message
On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 07:39:57 -0500, "Zaz"
wrote:

"Mamma Mia" wrote in message
.au...
i have never been able to distinguish anything, but dont suppose it was
an
arm or leg was it? not that i doubt you

That's all right. I did wonder the same thing. However, it was so close
my skin I could follow it.

that alone makes me wonder if what you were feeling wasn't muscle
tissue or a ligament or something else..
because although the uterus does thin out during later
pregnancy...it's not THAT thin. There are many layers of skin, fat,
muscle - before even getting to the uterus which, while thinned, isn't
THAT thin.

It really felt like some sort of a ring, quite
hard, and I could follow it through about 3/4 of a circle. It was so
pressed against my skin that I could in fact take it between two fingers,
and feel its roundness.

Again, in order for this to occur the cord would be outside of the
uterus, probably even outside the peritoneum just under the cutaneous
level above the fascia...

think about when you're not pregnant...trying to feel your abdominal
organs...it's not that easy.

I am 99,9% positive it was the umbilical cord...

I'd ask your care provider next time you see them....because I 99.9%
of the time say I "believe the mom!"...so I tend to believe you..
but if it was the cord...then that's startling...and not in a good
way. I'd be alarmed and wonder how the cord got outside of the
uterus...and what was going on...

did you feel it pulsing?

Stephanie Soderblom CLD CCCE CD(DONA) ICD
Mesa, AZ
Mommy to Mikael 5/9/95 - Kerstyn 8/6/99 - and Kevin 8/30/02
New baby due end of May 2005
Student Midwife
Birth Doula / Childbirth Educator / Pregnancy and Birth Photography

http://www.birthdiaries.com - Birth Story Diaries=REAL BIRTHS = REAL
PHOTOS

Old November 7th 04, 07:10 PM
Zaz

Oh, and I forget... No, I didn't feel it pulsing. So maybe you're right and
it wasn't that... Mmm.. Maybe a ligament, then?

You got me wondering with that one... (and worrying too, but I won't get
into that).

"Elfanie" wrote in message
On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 07:39:57 -0500, "Zaz"
wrote:

.au...

Old November 7th 04, 08:32 PM
Unadulterated Me

Zaz wrote:

It's like when I lay on my back and the midwife can feel the baby's head,
feet, hands... This is only one different part of what's going on inside.

At the end of pregnancy things are very thin, I have grabbed little feet
and moved wee knees at times, very easy to feel as everything is
stretched so thin. When I was pregnant with the twins and Amelia's head
was sitting sort of right under my armpit I swear I could feel her ears
and face features at times the veil was so thin.

Andrea