Lots of Movement ~ Umbilical Cord Choking?

Old February 10th 04, 04:34 AM
Carol Ann

Default Lots of Movement ~ Umbilical Cord Choking?

Is it possible for the baby to strangle herself while moving around so much?

My girl keeps tossing and turning and I'm getting worried b/c I read that
the umbilical cord is about 20'' long by now.

~Carol Ann
www.bestinatlanta.com/mybaby.html

Old February 10th 04, 05:39 AM
Jill

I have no idea...What To Expect When You Are Expecting says that if you
notice fetal movement that seems to be "frantic", to call your OB right
away. (Also says to call OB if a long time goes by with no movement too)...

I don't know what you would consider "frantic" though; how can you tell if
it's normal or just hiccups, etc.

I have never felt too worried about my baby, but in the past 2 weeks there
have been 3-4 times lasting less than 30 seconds when she is absolutely
manic in movement, just going crazy down there. ?? So i don't know what's
normal, and would like to hear what people say about your question...

I'd call the OB though if I were you just to get peace of mind.

Old February 10th 04, 07:38 AM
Dagny

"Carol Ann" wrote in message

Is it possible for the baby to strangle herself while moving around so

much?

My girl keeps tossing and turning and I'm getting worried b/c I read that
the umbilical cord is about 20'' long by now.

~Carol Ann
www.bestinatlanta.com/mybaby.html

It's very unlikely. Google "Wharton's jelly."

Anything that can go wrong in a pregnancy has gone wrong to someone at some
point, but the process generally works.

I suspect that when WTEWYE discusses frantic movement they are trying to
describe seizures.

-- Dagny
Mom to Meg, 10/03

Old February 10th 04, 12:56 PM
Carol Ann

::: Is it possible for the baby to strangle herself while moving around so
much?
:::
::: My girl keeps tossing and turning and I'm getting worried b/c I read
that
::: the umbilical cord is about 20'' long by now.
:::
::: ~Carol Ann
::: www.bestinatlanta.com/mybaby.html

:: I have no idea...What To Expect When You Are Expecting says that if you
:: notice fetal movement that seems to be "frantic", to call your OB right
:: away. (Also says to call OB if a long time goes by with no movement
too)...
::
:: I don't know what you would consider "frantic" though; how can you tell
if
:: it's normal or just hiccups, etc.
::
:: I have never felt too worried about my baby, but in the past 2 weeks
there
:: have been 3-4 times lasting less than 30 seconds when she is absolutely
:: manic in movement, just going crazy down there. ?? So i don't know what's
:: normal, and would like to hear what people say about your question...
::
:: I'd call the OB though if I were you just to get peace of mind.

I have an appointment this morning. I will try and remember to ask her
about this. We do listen for the heartbeat.

Also, I wonder when I am supposed to begin receiving internal check ups for
cervix size? I hope not now. Yuck!

~Carol Ann

Old February 10th 04, 01:21 PM
Leanne

Also, I wonder when I am supposed to begin receiving internal check ups

for
cervix size? I hope not now. Yuck!

I'm sooo dreading that day :-\

Leanne
edd: 23rd april 2004

Old February 10th 04, 01:29 PM
Mary W.

Leanne wrote:

Also, I wonder when I am supposed to begin receiving internal check ups

for
cervix size? I hope not now. Yuck!

I'm sooo dreading that day :-\

There's no need for internals. My last pregnancy, even
my very interventionalist OB asked if I wanted one, and
when I declined he was fine with it.

Internals aren't going to give you any useful information and
introduce the risk of infection or accidental rupture of
membranes.

Mary

Old February 10th 04, 03:02 PM
Circe

Carol Ann wrote:
Is it possible for the baby to strangle herself while moving around
so much?

Well, first of all, babies can't "strangle themselves" in utero; remember,
they're not breathing but getting all of their oxygen through the placenta.
It *is* possible for the cord itself to get so tangled or kinked that the
baby can no longer get oxygen, but it's a passingly rare phenomenon. As
Dagny said, the cord itself is quite slippery and resistant to knotting, and
I've actually seen pictures of some umbilical cords from a pair of twins
that were so knotted together, you'd never believe the babies were okay, and
yet they were fine.
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [6], Aurora [4], and Vernon's [23 mos.] mom)

Financing for "5" years -- car dealership sign

Mommy: I call you "baby" because I love you.
Julian (age 4): Oh! All right, Mommy baby.

Old February 10th 04, 03:04 PM
Circe

Leanne wrote:
Also, I wonder when I am supposed to begin receiving internal
check ups for cervix size? I hope not now. Yuck!

I'm sooo dreading that day :-\

Then don't have 'em! Internal exams don't yield any actionable information
unless there's a medical reason to be considering an induction, so there's
really no good reason to have 'em.

Traditionally, OBs will start checking the cervix as 37 weeks, but it's
really a habit that persists mainly because it's always been done. You can
always decline.

Old February 10th 04, 04:45 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Carol Ann wrote:

::: Is it possible for the baby to strangle herself while moving around so
much?

I wouldn't worry much at this stage. They're generally
too confined to get too tangled up with the cord. On rare
occasions, babies do manage to get their cords tangled up.
True knots are dangerous, but there just isn't room to make
a true knot this late.

Also, I wonder when I am supposed to begin receiving internal check ups for
cervix size? I hope not now. Yuck!

You don't *ever* need them *routinely* at the end
of pregnancy. If your care provider still does them, I'd
just refuse. Why put yourself through that for no
actionable information?

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old February 10th 04, 04:56 PM
Welches

Leanne wrote in message

Also, I wonder when I am supposed to begin receiving internal check ups

for
cervix size? I hope not now. Yuck!

I'm sooo dreading that day :-\

Don't have them. Here in uk they'll only do them if necessary for medical
reasons. You don't need to know cervix size. For dd#2 I had none, even in
labour. For #1 I had one in labour before I had an epidural.
Debbie