AVENTURA, Fla. -- DCF Worker Charged With Identity Theft, Woman AccusedOf Shopping With Someone Else's Credit Card

Old July 3rd 08, 07:05 AM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.support.foster-parents,alt.dads-rights.unmoderated,alt.parenting.spanking
fx

Default AVENTURA, Fla. -- DCF Worker Charged With Identity Theft, Woman AccusedOf Shopping With Someone Else's Credit Card

DCF Worker Charged With Identity Theft
Woman Accused Of Shopping With Someone Else's Credit Card

http://www.nbc6.net/news/16767202/detail.html

POSTED: 7:53 am EDT July 2, 2008
UPDATED: 12:16 pm EDT July 2, 2008

AVENTURA, Fla. -- A government employee has been accused of using
someone else's credit card to go on a shopping spree at Bloomingdale's.

The owner of the credit card, who wished to remain anonymous, said she
lost her wallet.

"I lose everything inside," she said. "I just felt terrible. It's so
much trouble, you know?"

The woman reported her card as stolen and asked that all activity on her
account be flagged immediately.

Authorities said Cortney Shorter, an employee of the Department of
Children and Families, used the card at the Bloomingdale's at the
Aventura Mall. Store security recognized that the credit card and
signature were fraudulent and Shorter was arrested, NBC6's Sharon Lawson
reported.

Miami-Dade County Judge A. Schwartz said Shorter should have known better.

"You're 25, you have a mother and father, you have a good job, and they
have to hear that you're in custody for using somebody else's credit
card and buying $2,590.03 worth of stuff at Bloomingdale's?" Schwartz said.

Shorter faces four counts of fraudulent use of a credit card among other
charges, including identity theft and grand theft.

Her parents were brought to tears in court Tuesday.

"The one part of this job that I hate is having to sit here and look at
the mothers and fathers who are stunned by what their kids do to them,"
Schwartz said.

While the alleged victim's confidence in the government has been
shattered, she said she wants her children to have a different outlook.

"I still want them to believe that the government and the society is
very nice," said the woman.

Alan Abramowitz, Regional Director for DCF, said "We take the
confidentiality laws very seriously. The Public Trust was violated and I
hope you will list me as a person who can give the Assistant State
Attorney information for the sentencing and the impact this person's
conduct has on the public trust."

Shorter was released Tuesday on her own recognizance until her court
appearance on July 21.