GTT ingredients

Old June 1st 05, 07:01 AM
arachne

Default GTT ingredients

another test they will ask me to do is the glucose one. does anyone know
what the actual ingredients are in the test apart from glucose? or at least
the company that makes it? i tried to google, but i couldn't find anything.
the company would probably be better as i would have to investigate the
source of the glucose too.

DS has serious multiple food allergies & as i am breastfeeding him, i can't
consume any of his allergens. i remember the liquid being bright orange and
i'm sure it must contain citric or acetic acid, both things he cannot have.
(all we can drink is milk or water).

i guess it would be easier just to not do the test?

--
elizabeth (in australia)
DS 20th august 2002
#2 due 14th october 2005

"If evolution really works, how come mothers only have two hands?" -- Milton
Berle

Old June 1st 05, 07:19 AM
Mamma Mia

the test i did was not coloured, just like lemonade? i'd ring the lab that
does the test and ask them for info off the side of the bottle

#2 due 14th october 2005

Old June 1st 05, 07:30 AM
arachne

"Mamma Mia" wrote in message
u...
the test i did was not coloured, just like lemonade? i'd ring the lab
that does the test and ask them for info off the side of the bottle

i'll give them a call! unfortunately there is citric acid in lemonade as
well (and almost every drink out there). the allergist just reminded me too
that the glucose can come from corn or fruit both of which he is allergic.

--
elizabeth (in australia)
DS 20th august 2002
#2 due 14th october 2005

Old June 1st 05, 07:33 AM
Cheryl

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 16:01:13 +1000, "arachne"
wrote:

another test they will ask me to do is the glucose one. does anyone know
what the actual ingredients are in the test apart from glucose? or at least
the company that makes it? i tried to google, but i couldn't find anything.
the company would probably be better as i would have to investigate the
source of the glucose too.

DS has serious multiple food allergies & as i am breastfeeding him, i can't
consume any of his allergens. i remember the liquid being bright orange and
i'm sure it must contain citric or acetic acid, both things he cannot have.
(all we can drink is milk or water).

i guess it would be easier just to not do the test?

I'm almost positive it contains citric acid because I read the side
the last two times I took it. Hornsby have them to take home so they
would have them in the fridge if you give them a call and ask.

--
Cheryl
Mum to Shrimp (11 Mar 99), Thud (4 Oct 00)
Old June 1st 05, 08:51 AM
arachne

wrote:

[...]

shall do!
--
elizabeth (in australia)
DS 20th august 2002
#2 due 14th october 2005

Old June 1st 05, 10:43 AM
Sidheag McCormack

arachne writes:

i guess it would be easier just to not do the test?

Certainly sounds like it! Is there a particular reason why They want *you*
to do the GTT, or is it just routine? If it's just routine, I'd certainly
say skip it. If it helps, there are developed countries where GTT seems to
be almost unheard of - UK, for example (unless I've talked to a very odd
sample of women here!)

Sidheag

Old June 1st 05, 11:51 AM
Anne Rogers

Certainly sounds like it! Is there a particular reason why They want *you*
to do the GTT, or is it just routine? If it's just routine, I'd certainly
say skip it. If it helps, there are developed countries where GTT seems to
be almost unheard of - UK, for example (unless I've talked to a very odd
sample of women here!)

isn't that because we do the lucozade challenge first? in other places I
think the lucozade challenge is called the 1hr GTT.

btw, in case anyone was wondering the lucozade challenge is without fasting
drink 265ml of lucozade, then fast and have your blood drawn an hour later

of course I didn't do it!

Anne

Old June 1st 05, 01:15 PM
Ericka Kammerer

arachne wrote:

i guess it would be easier just to not do the test?

That would be my guess. I'd take some doppler
exposure long before I'd take the GTT, under normal
circumstances.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old June 1st 05, 01:22 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Anne Rogers wrote:

Certainly sounds like it! Is there a particular reason why They want *you*
to do the GTT, or is it just routine? If it's just routine, I'd certainly
say skip it. If it helps, there are developed countries where GTT seems to
be almost unheard of - UK, for example (unless I've talked to a very odd
sample of women here!)

isn't that because we do the lucozade challenge first? in other places I
think the lucozade challenge is called the 1hr GTT.

People get confused. There are four different tests that are
very similar:

1) Serum glucose/fasting glucose. Fast overnight and then draw
blood to check glucose levels.

2) Glucose Challenge test. 50g of glucose followed by one blood
draw an hour later.

3) 2 hour Glucose Tolerance Test. 75g of glucose followed by one
blood draw two hours later.

4) 3 hour Glucose Tolerance Test. 100g of glucose followed by
blood draws at 1, 2, and 3 hours.

In the US, people frequently use the wrong term for the test they're
taking. The standard is typically to do #2 around 28 weeks, followed
by #4 if you fail. My understanding is that teh "lucozade challenge"
is the same as #2.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old June 1st 05, 02:24 PM
Unadulterated Me

Ericka Kammerer wrote:

People get confused. There are four different tests that are
very similar:

There's also the Random glucose which is just that, a random sampling
from a blood draw, no fasting required. I had it in my first pregnancy
tagged on to my regular 28 week bloods, I don't think they do it any
more though as it's next to useless....as they all are imo.

Andrea