Vaccinations & Autism & Breast Implants & Genetics ............

Old August 25th 06, 06:04 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,talk.politics.medicine,alt.support.breast-implant
Ilena Rose

Default Vaccinations & Autism & Breast Implants & Genetics ............

Mark Probert claimed:

Even so, since I feel that autism is 99% genetic, there would be no issue for me.

Mark, this quote quite touched me.

Let's say, in a peaceful moment, that you are absolutely correct ...

... autism is 99% genetic

Maybe that's true ...

Yet you seem to not understand that these genetics are what would
determine one's propensity and sensitivity to the mercury in
vaccinations.

It is our genetics that determine how we respond to various toxins and
poisons ... some people are extremely sensitive to mercury. My father
was ... he could break out and practically go into shock just being in
the same house with a broken thermometer ...

One time my dentist sent me home with a cute little rolly silver glop
of mercury ... probably 50 years ago ... and my father had a very
serious reation when the rest of the family did not. He didn't touch
it ... my siblings and I played with it. He walked into the house and
his eyes were swelling up in moments.

I hope you understand this ... I believe there is a subset of
children who will react very severely to mercury being shot inside
their young bodies ... I don't know what percentage and I doubt either
do you. But it exists.

Some day I believe that genetic testing will be available to determine
who can benefit from ... and who will have serious reactions to
various vaccinations.

I believe the same for breast implants by the way ... that a subset of
women are genetically programmed in such a way to react very
negatively to foreign objects ... especially ones with platinum and
silica and other toxic ingredients. In both vaccinations and breast
implants, there are so many chemicals and substances that various
people, programmed by their genetics, will respond differently to
those substances.

Leroy Young, an aggressive Plastic Surgeon from Missouri did what I
consider one of the most important studies way back in 1995 ... I've
posted it below.

In these next 11 years enormous strides could have been made, yet I
have seen no follow up.

Instead, Young, unaffectionately known as Leroid Young, developed and
advertised and experimented with very dangerous soy filled implants
.... a disaster beyond imagination.

I feel strongly that scientists (not Junk Scientists like Young who
apparently dropped the ball on this important research and now pushes
butt implants) need to look further into HLA genotypes as discussed
below.

Shabbot Shalom.

Ilena Rosenthal

www.BreastImplantAwareness.org

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~

DR53 may be a marker of women who are predisposed by their HLA
genotype to develop symptoms following exposure to silicone gel breast
implants.

Young VL ; Nemecek JR ; Schwartz BD ; Phelan DL ; Schorr MW ;

Department of Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine, St.
Louis,

Mo, USA.

Plast Reconstr Surg Vol. 96 no. 7 pp. 1497-519;

discussion 1520

DATE: 1995 Dec

Abstract

Since the 1970s, anecdotal reports have described a relatively small
number of women who received silicone gel breast implants and later
developed either a recognized rheumatologic disease or unexplained
symptoms suggestive of an autoimmune disorder. The study reported here
examined whether there is any association between the symptoms seen in
implant patients and HLA molecules.

One-hundred and ninety-nine subjects were evaluated by HLA typing:
symptomatic patients with implants (group I, n = 77), asymptomatic
women with implants (group II, n = 37), healthy female volunteers
without implants (group III, n = 54), and fibromyalgia patients
without implants (group IV, n = 31).

A statistically significant 68 percent of group I were positive for
HLA-DR53, compared with 35 percent of group II and 52 percent of group
III.

The fibromyalgia patients were strikingly similar to group I women in
terms of HLA-DR molecules, with 65 percent of group IV being positive
for DR53.

Group I also had a statistically significant increased frequency of
HLA-DQ2.

Asymptomatic women with implants (group II) had an increased frequency
of DR1 and DQ1.

In addition, 42 percent of symptomatic patients with implants formed
autoantibodies to their own B cells; of these, 81 percent were
DR53-positive. Although frequencies of capsular contracture and
implant rupture were not significantly different in the two groups
with implants, there were statistically significant associations in
group I between contractures and ruptures and the presence
of DR53 and B-cell autoantibodies. These data suggest that symptomatic
patients with implants share important genetic characteristics
(primarily HLA- DR53 positivity) that differentiate them from their
asymptomatic counterparts.

DR53 may be a marker of women who are predisposed by their HLA
genotype to develop symptoms following exposure to silicone gel breast
implants.

Young VL ; Nemecek JR ; Schwartz BD ; Phelan DL ; Schorr MW ;

Department of Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine, St.
Louis,

Mo, USA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Some Women With Breast Implants May Be Genetically
Predisposed to Illness

by Caroline Decker

Contact:
Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis
Caroline Decker
314-286-0109

Anecdotal reports of illness by some women with silicone gel breast
implants eventually led the federal Food and Drug
Administration in 1992 to ban their use pending a safety review.
However, researchers still do not know why some women with
implants, and not others, develop symptoms suggestive of an illness.
Now, a study by researchers at Washington University
School of Medicine in St. Louis concludes that genetic factors may
play
a role.

The study found that women with breast implants who had debilitating
symptoms such as chronic fatigue, burning breast pain,
muscle or joint pain were more likely to share genetic characteristics
that differentiate them from women with breast implants
who have no symptoms.

"To our surprise, we found that some women with implants may be
genetically predisposed to develop symptoms," said lead
researcher Leroy Young, M.D., a plastic and reconstructive surgeon at
Washington University School of Medicine.

Moreover, the researchers found that women with breast implants and
symptoms also were more likely than others in the study
to produce autoantibodies against their B cells. B cells are a key
component of the immune system, and high frequencies of such
autoantibodies are clearly abnormal, Young said.

"Autoantibodies to B cells may hold clues that will help explain why
some women with breast implants develop symptoms," he
said. The team reported its findings in the journal of Plastic and
Reconstructive Surgery in December 1995.

Since the FDA ban, researchers have tried to explain the origin of
symptoms reported by some women with breast implants.
The lack of a recognized disease in these patients and the failure to
find a cause for their symptoms prompted Washington
University researchers to conduct the study.

The researchers studied the genetic characteristics of 199 women -- 77
with breast implants and symptoms, 37 with implants
and no symptoms, 54 healthy women without implants and 31 women
diagnosed with fibromyalgia, a disease defined by pain in
connective tissues such as muscles, tendons and ligaments.
Fibromyalgia
is not known to be immune-mediated and has no
known cause.

Women with fibromyalgia were included in the study to determine
whether women with breast implants are prone to develop
the rheumatological disorder. Symptoms of fibromyalgia are similar to
those experienced by women with breast implants who
develop symptoms. "At first, we thought implants might trigger
fibromyalgia," Young said.

To be considered symptomatic, women with breast implants had to have
one or more of the following: burning breast pain,
chronic fatigue, vague upper body pain, muscle or joint pain. Their
symptoms must have persisted for at least four months and
have interfered with daily activities, particularly with the ability
to maintain a job.

Women with breast implants and those with fibromyalgia averaged 46
years of age; those in the healthy comparison group were
slightly younger, averaging 37 years of age. Virtually all women in
the study were white. Genetic characteristics were determined
by analyzing blood samples. The researchers zeroed in on a group of
proteins encoded by a collection of genes called the major
histocompatibility complex (MHC), which is known to play an important
role in immune response. They wanted to find out
whether the MHC molecules of symptomatic women with breast implants
differed from those of women with breast implants
who did not have symptoms.

The investigators used HLA (human leukocyte antigen) typing to analyze
blood samples; organ transplant teams use the same
procedure to assess genetic similarities between organ donors and
recipients.

Molecule Could Be a Marker

They found that both women with implants and symptoms and women with
fibromyalgia were significantly more likely to have
an HLA molecule called DR-53. The molecule was present in 68 percent
of symptomatic breast implant patients and 65 percent of fibromyalgia
patients, compared with 35 percent of the
asymptomatic implant patients. Fifty-two percent of the
healthy women also had the DR-53 molecule, which is similar to its
natural frequency among white women. DR molecules play
a critical immunoregulatory role because they control the interactions
among the immune system's T cells, B cells and antigen-presenting
cells.

Young and his colleagues initially suspected that women with breast
implants and symptoms actually had fibromyalgia. But when
they looked closer, they found that 42 percent of symptomatic women
with breast implants formed antibodies against their own
B cells. Only 2 percent of healthy women formed autoantibodies,
compared with 14 percent of asymptomatic women with
breast implants and 19 percent of fibromyalgia patients.

More striking, however, was the observation that 81 percent of the
patients with implants who produced autoantibodies were
DR-53 positive. This compares with 33 percent of fibromyalgia patients
who were positive for both autoantibodies and DR-53.

"There's clearly a link between DR-53 and autoantibodies," Young said.
"But we won't know what it means until we find out
why these women are forming autoantibodies at such a high rate."

Women with symptoms had had their breast implants for an average of 12
years, compared with asymptomatic women who
had had their implants for an average of 10 years. So it's possible
that the latter group may develop symptoms over time. "This
may be especially true for those asymptomatic women who are DR-53
positive or who have produced autoantibodies to their
own B cells," Young said.

Young and his co-workers are now trying to find out what is triggering
the production of autoantibodies. If they are formed in
response to silicone gel or one of its components, then the
asymptomatic implant group also might be expected to have high
frequencies. On the other hand, if the autoantibodies are somehow
related to the presence of DR-53, the fibromyalgia patients
might be expected to have higher frequencies of B cell autoantibodies.
"We can't fully explain the highly statistically significant formation
of autoantibodies to B cells, but their presence suggests the
activation of an immune-mediated process that is related to DR-53 and
breast implant exposure," Young said.

If the study's results are confirmed, DR-53 could be viewed as a
marker for individuals who may be predisposed to develop an
immune-mediated response or hypersensitivity reaction following
silicone breast implants. But Young cautioned that it is too
early for the information to be used clinically and that women with
implants should not rush to their doctors and request HLA
tissue typing, a test that costs about $1,300. "The test is useful as
a research tool but would not be helpful in making clinical
decisions," Young explained. "However, women with breast implants need
regular follow-ups with their physicians."