Terrorism and CP

Old October 24th 05, 03:43 PM

Default Terrorism and CP

THE CHILDHOOD ORIGINS OF TERRORISM

A RESPONSE TO CRITICISM OF "THE BABY FACE OF HATE"

June 26 2002

Friends,

Some readers have responded to my posting of David Tell's "The Baby
Face of Hate" with warnings that such an article could foment ethnic
hostility by promoting a negative stereotype of people of Middle
Eastern origin. I've had similar reactions to other articles in the
section on Project NoSpank, "The Childhood Origins of Terrorism." I
don't dismiss such criticism outright, but I am very skeptical that
these materials could directly or indirectly fuel the fires of ethnic
suspicion or hostility. Bigots warmly identify with child abusers, so
my hunch is they are looking elsewhere than Project NoSpank for their
"intellectual" stimulation. As for "negative stereotyping," I refuse to
accept any obligation to sanitize what I publish on the chance that it
might be misconstrued or unfairly applied. Readers of these pages are
grown-ups. I respect their ability (and their right!) to evaluate these
arguments on their merits.

I do my best to give equal treatment to child abusers whether they
are from the Middle East or from middle Ohio, whether they attempt to
justify their bad behavior by this religion or that religion, by one
set of cherished traditions or another. And I fully understand that
"The Baby Face of Hate" may be especially painful to people who's
cultural roots are shared by the subjects of the article. For the same
reason, the facts about the overrunning of indigenous cultures,
slavery, the KKK, the internment of Japanese Americans during WW II and
McCarthyism are not the facts that make me swell with pride as an
American. But avoidance or suppression of such information, or the
sweetening of it by the addition of soothing qualifiers, doesn't serve
any useful purpose.

The truth about abusive child rearing and all its associated social
pathologies, such as misogyny, sectarian hatred, war mongering and war
making, need to be reported frankly and unapologetically. I wish there
were more honest and lively debate about these matters in the mosques,
madrassahs, and mainstream Arabic media, but at this precarious moment
in history the voices of dissent in the Muslim world are few and
hushed. One listens it seems in vain for the sweet voice of reason.

Jordan Riak

* Ali Salem: I Want to Start a Kindergarten for Extremism,
November 2001 (Source: The Middle East Media Research Institute --
MEMRI.org

* David Tell: The Baby Face of Hate -- MEMRI releases an
astonishing example of the "true Muslim" faith, June 12, 2002

* Lloyd deMause: The Childhood Origins of Terrorism, November
2001

* Alice Miller: The Wellsprings of Horror in the Cradle,
October 2001

* Phyllis Chesler: The Psychoanalytic Roots of Islamic
Terrorism, FrontPageMagazine.com, May 3, 2004

* Jamie Glazov: The Sexual Rage Behind Islamic Terror,
FrontPageMagazine.com, October 4, 2001

* Jamie Glazov: Atta's Rage Rooted in Islam's Misogyny,
FrontPageMagazine.com, October 12, 2001

* Riane Eisler: The School for Violence -- A conversation with
Riane Eisler, LA Weekly, September 28, 2001

* Salman Rushdie: Yes, This Is About Islam, The New York Times,
November 2, 2001

* Philip Caputo: Afghan Boy Gets Lesson in Manhood, Excerpt
from "20 Years of Training for War," The New York Times, October 4,
2001

http://www.nospank.net/origins.htm