[OT] Did anyone forego getting a high chair?

Old October 29th 03, 05:11 PM
Belphoebe

Default Kinderzeat [OT] Did anyone forego getting a high chair?

"Al Bell" wrote in message
"Belphoebe" writes:

We're a little weird in that we don't have sit-down meals at a

dining-room
or kitchen table.

a) You are who you are. If you don't have traditional sitdown dinners,
then it seems to me that you'll somehow end up bringing up a wonderful
baby who is not particularly accustomed to the joys of traditional
sitdown dinners. Not the biggest tragedy on earth.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I think I needed that.

Belphoebe

Old October 29th 03, 08:09 PM
iphigenia

Belphoebe wrote:

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I think I needed that.

I agree - some of the posts in this thread have given me the impression that
some people feel that sitting down together to eat as a family is akin to
making sure your kids get their teeth brushed - like only a negligent parent
would let it slide.

To me, if eating meals together is how your family connects, great. I
imagine in larger families with older kids that's probably the only way to
make it work. But it's certainly not the only way to do that. Particularly
right now - meals together tend to consist of me reminding Gabe not to do
things like violently shaking his fork to get something he doesn't like off
of it. Our really good connection times are when we're doing things together
like playing with duplo blocks or drawing pictures, or when we've just woken
up and we talk and snuggle.

It kind of reminds me, honestly, of people who insist that babies take
bottles so that dads can be involved. As we all know, there are lots of ways
to make involvement happen.

And allow me to reiterate that Gabe is really very good at restaurants : )

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

Old October 29th 03, 09:40 PM
kristi

"iphigenia" wrote in message ...
Al Bell wrote:

- No one in the United States has heard of the chairs, but they're so
hot in Europe that they're a kind of obnoxious Yuppie parent cliche.

I've heard of this, which sounds similar:
http://www.onestepahead.com/jump.jsp...itemType=PRODU
CT&iMainCat=117&iSubCat=27216&iProductID=38760&cha nge=117

We have one of these (the One Step Ahead is just their version, I
think of the Stokke seat) and really like it. It was expensive but we
figured we can use it well beyond the toddler years. I think we got
ours directly from Stokke's US distributor, or someone linked from
their website.

Kristi