re-warming breast milk?

Old January 23rd 04, 04:03 AM
Zucca4

Default re-warming breast milk?

well i guess today's my day for posting questions...baby's been sleeping well
so i have a bit more time.

question: i generally take my milk from the fridge, put it in a bottle for our
sitter, and then place it in a cup full of warm water to take the chill off. if
our little one doesn't finish it all, is it ok to return the remainder to the
fridge and use again in a few hours. I hate to see my hard -pumped milk go
down the drain

Also can milk be kept at room temp for 3 hours?

thanks,
lisa
Old January 23rd 04, 04:33 AM
Shannon G

"Zucca4" wrote in message
well i guess today's my day for posting questions...baby's been sleeping

well
so i have a bit more time.

question: i generally take my milk from the fridge, put it in a bottle for

our
sitter, and then place it in a cup full of warm water to take the chill

off. if
our little one doesn't finish it all, is it ok to return the remainder to

the
fridge and use again in a few hours. I hate to see my hard -pumped milk

go
down the drain

Also can milk be kept at room temp for 3 hours?

I wouldn't return it to the fridge and reheat. I'd just leave it out and
re-use within a few hours.

Freshly pumped milk can be left out (at room temp) for 8-10 hours.

Shannon

Old January 23rd 04, 05:01 AM
CY

The general rule is that warmed milk that has not been touched at all by the
baby is OK to put back in the refridgerator for up to 9 hours or 4 hours at
room temperature. However if the baby has eaten *some* of the milk it
should be used within an hour. This is because saliva goes back into the
bottle and causes the milk to break down and spoil...

http://www.ebestfed.com/returntowork.htm

There are variations of this rule but that's the gist of it...

Old January 23rd 04, 02:27 PM
zeldabee

CY was all, like:
The general rule is that warmed milk that has not been touched at all
by the baby is OK to put back in the refridgerator for up to 9 hours
or 4 hours at room temperature. However if the baby has eaten *some*
of the milk it should be used within an hour. This is because saliva
goes back into the bottle and causes the milk to break down and
spoil...

http://www.ebestfed.com/returntowork.htm

There are variations of this rule but that's the gist of it...

We re-offer it. (Try saying that fast 5 times.) If it smells ok, we don't
throw it out.

Also can milk be kept at room temp for 3 hours?

Yes.

--
z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m
http://NewsReader.Com/

Old January 23rd 04, 06:08 PM
KR

I wouldn't. We have a eat in 2 hours rule with bottles... If it's still
there after 2 hours we throw it out.

"Zucca4" wrote in message
well i guess today's my day for posting questions...baby's been sleeping

well
so i have a bit more time.

question: i generally take my milk from the fridge, put it in a bottle for

our
sitter, and then place it in a cup full of warm water to take the chill

off. if
our little one doesn't finish it all, is it ok to return the remainder to

the
fridge and use again in a few hours. I hate to see my hard -pumped milk

go
down the drain

Also can milk be kept at room temp for 3 hours?

thanks,
lisa

Anjelina Belakovskaia forced to drop out of US Woman's Chess Championship because of problems with her breast milk Sam Sloan General 1 June 24th 04 11:10 PM
Expressing breast milk Sandy Pregnancy 9 January 17th 04 03:28 AM
Baby won't accept breast milk bottle after attempting formula - help! dejablues General 9 December 24th 03 10:12 AM
Storing Breast Milk Kathy Breastfeeding 2 October 1st 03 09:18 PM
Study finds flame-retardant chemical in U.S. breast milk Maxie P. Diddly Pregnancy 0 September 24th 03 12:38 AM