Sigh. Confused more than ever about orthodontics.

Old December 18th 08, 03:57 AM posted to misc.kids
Anne Rogers

Default Sigh. Confused more than ever about orthodontics.

Well, then. It is possible to have a big gap but yet end up with
overcrowding of adult teeth. I very much want to prevent having any
extractions of adult teeth if at all possible and that is what the
pediatric dentist said the palate expander will help prevent.

This might be a dumb question, but it's not one I've seen asked or
answered, which is, if you expand the palate, what happens to the jaw,
does that expand to or is it just the palate with everything else
staying the same and in which case, is changing the size of one body
part in relation to another a good idea? and are there any long term
studies on it? sometimes when you get the long term studies there are
some unexpected effects.

Cheers
Anne
Old December 18th 08, 01:36 PM posted to misc.kids
Sue

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
This might be a dumb question, but it's not one I've seen asked or
answered, which is, if you expand the palate, what happens to the jaw,
does that expand to or is it just the palate with everything else staying
the same and in which case, is changing the size of one body part in
relation to another a good idea? and are there any long term studies on
it? sometimes when you get the long term studies there are some unexpected
effects.

It is a good idea if there is a severe overbite, as in why DD2's palate had
to be expanded. She has had the palate done for over five years now, and
there has been nothing negative to happen except her overbite is corrected
now. I am not sure that anything happened to the jaw, but it moved the upper
palate.

--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old December 18th 08, 09:41 PM posted to misc.kids
Ericka

Anne Rogers wrote:

This might be a dumb question, but it's not one I've seen asked or
answered, which is, if you expand the palate, what happens to the jaw,
does that expand to or is it just the palate with everything else
staying the same and in which case, is changing the size of one body
part in relation to another a good idea? and are there any long term
studies on it? sometimes when you get the long term studies there are
some unexpected effects.

They use the palate expander when the palate is
out of proportion with the lower jaw, such as when there's
a cross-bite and the whole *point* is to get the top teeth
fitting properly on top of the lower teeth (i.e., the
outside edge of the top teeth should be outside the outside
edge of the lower teeth).

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old December 19th 08, 08:06 AM posted to misc.kids
abbyspeople

Anne Rogers wrote:

Well, then. It is possible to have a big gap but yet end up with
overcrowding of adult teeth. I very much want to prevent having any
extractions of adult teeth if at all possible and that is what the
pediatric dentist said the palate expander will help prevent.

This might be a dumb question, but it's not one I've seen asked or
answered, which is, if you expand the palate, what happens to the jaw,
does that expand to or is it just the palate with everything else
staying the same and in which case, is changing the size of one body
part in relation to another a good idea? and are there any long term
studies on it? sometimes when you get the long term studies there are
some unexpected effects.

Cheers
Anne

My son had the same problem as Toypup's DS. The ortho wanted to expand
his palate when young to avoid extractions. He had the palate expander
for awhile, starting at age 8. I can't recall how long that took, but I
know he also wore head gear at night to make the jaw larger as well.
That was actually kind of comical, and it helped that his good friend
also was wearing head gear at night... After that was completed, he just
wore a retainer of some sort for a few years, then needed the "second
phase" of braces. He was able to avoid extractions.

Unfortunately his first orthodontist retired in between the two
treatments, so we ended up paying a pretty much "normal" ortho bill
twice... the original ortho had told us that doing the expansion thing
would decrease later costs... but it didn't work out that way...

Good luck!

Shel
Old December 19th 08, 03:39 PM posted to misc.kids
toypup[_2_]

"abbyspeople" wrote in message
My son had the same problem as Toypup's DS. The ortho wanted to expand
his palate when young to avoid extractions. He had the palate expander
for awhile, starting at age 8. I can't recall how long that took, but I
know he also wore head gear at night to make the jaw larger as well. That
was actually kind of comical, and it helped that his good friend also was
wearing head gear at night... After that was completed, he just wore a
retainer of some sort for a few years, then needed the "second phase" of
braces. He was able to avoid extractions.

Unfortunately his first orthodontist retired in between the two
treatments, so we ended up paying a pretty much "normal" ortho bill
twice... the original ortho had told us that doing the expansion thing
would decrease later costs... but it didn't work out that way...

Thanks for the input. They also explained cost as a reason for expanders,
but I don't buy that part. It doesn't matter to me anyway. I just want to
make sure we don't do anything unnecessary and also avoid pulling adult
teeth.

Old December 20th 08, 03:47 PM posted to misc.kids
enigma

"toypup" wrote in
:

If the baby
tooth gets pulled, he'll need orthodontic work to help hold the
other teeth in position.

not necessarily. Boo had all his baby molars out at age 4 (soft
teeth, cavities). they did attempt a spacer, but it would not stay on
& was tearing up the inside of his mouth. after 2 replacements & an
emergency removal while on vacation (over $1500 for all), the dentist
admitted that the spacers weren't *really* needed.
his 6 year molars are now in & they're not shifting... so, we'll
see. but the spacers are not a very useful expense, IMO.
lee

orthodontics question toypup[_2_] General 1 December 12th 08 12:31 AM
Sigh FlowerGirl Breastfeeding 1 April 18th 06 01:48 PM
Sigh-Annual appointment with OB Irene Breastfeeding 59 November 29th 05 11:02 AM
Sigh... NotMyRealName Pregnancy 5 February 28th 05 12:50 AM
Sigh. Jill Pregnancy 21 November 24th 04 06:34 PM