3 mo standing supported

Old June 1st 04, 04:29 AM
toypup

Default 3 mo standing supported

Is it bad for their legs? I've heard it was because their bones are soft
and not meant to support the weight of their body. Not sure if it's just an
old wives' tale. DD loves it, but we don't do it too much because we're not
sure if it's a problem. Is there any good source on this? I'd do it more
often if I knew it was okay. Might have to ask the ped in a couple weeks.

Old June 1st 04, 05:07 AM
dragonlady

In article DKSuc.25437$IB.20608@attbi_s04,
"toypup" wrote:

Is it bad for their legs? I've heard it was because their bones are soft
and not meant to support the weight of their body. Not sure if it's just an
old wives' tale. DD loves it, but we don't do it too much because we're not
sure if it's a problem. Is there any good source on this? I'd do it more
often if I knew it was okay. Might have to ask the ped in a couple weeks.

It's fine. I know of no child who has been injured this way -- and most
really love it.

Just enjoy her, and enjoy her enjoying being upright!

Old June 1st 04, 05:26 AM
toto

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 03:29:39 GMT, "toypup"
wrote:

Is it bad for their legs? I've heard it was because their bones are soft
and not meant to support the weight of their body. Not sure if it's just an
old wives' tale. DD loves it, but we don't do it too much because we're not
sure if it's a problem. Is there any good source on this? I'd do it more
often if I knew it was okay. Might have to ask the ped in a couple weeks.

Well, this implies it is good exercise for a 4 month old.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6440_stimulate-4-month.html

4. Lift your baby by the waist, jostle her up and down, then
hold her upright in a standing position. You'll get exercise
together.

************
Contrary to popular belief, standing a baby on her feet
before she can successfully bear her weight won't make
her bowlegged.

***************

When held in a standing position, most 3 month olds
can bear some weight on their legs.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits
Old June 1st 04, 05:41 AM
toypup

"toypup" wrote:

Is it bad for their legs? I've heard it was because their bones are

soft
and not meant to support the weight of their body. Not sure if it's

just an
old wives' tale. DD loves it, but we don't do it too much because we're

not
sure if it's a problem. Is there any good source on this? I'd do it

more
often if I knew it was okay. Might have to ask the ped in a couple

weeks.

It's fine. I know of no child who has been injured this way -- and most
really love it.

I've never heard that they are injured but that their legs don't form as
straight as they can. Sort of how sitting with legs bent back in a w causes
knocked knees or laying on the tummy like a frog causes bowed legs.

Old June 1st 04, 07:59 AM
Maurice & Carmen Gregoire

"toypup" wrote:

[...]

I did it with my oldest and her legs are fine. She loved it. She was so
strong, she was pushing up on us while burping over the shoulder when she
was only 1 month and we started holding her in a standing position when she
was 3 to 4 months. I asked her pediatrician about her legs when we started
holding her this way and he said it was fine.

Old June 1st 04, 09:52 AM
Staycalm

wrote:

[...]

If you think about it - weight bearing exercise increases bone density. It
should be pretty good for done development.

Liz

Old June 1st 04, 12:42 PM
enigma

"toypup" wrote in
newsKSuc.25437$IB.20608@attbi_s04:

Is it bad for their legs? I've heard it was because their
bones are soft and not meant to support the weight of their
body. Not sure if it's just an old wives' tale. DD loves
it, but we don't do it too much because we're not sure if
it's a problem. Is there any good source on this? I'd do
it more often if I knew it was okay. Might have to ask the
ped in a couple weeks.

i hope it's not a problem. Boo was standing supported at 3
months, pulling up & cruising at 4 months & walking/climbing
stairs at 6 months (he didn't crawl until almost 2.5 years
though. he never crawled up or down stairs either).
it really depends on the child. Boo's cousin, who is 6 months
younger, was not ready to stand supported at 4
months...however she started talking almost a year before he
did. some kids *hate* being infants & can't wait to get mobile

lee

Old June 1st 04, 05:05 PM
Welches

toypup wrote in message
newsKSuc.25437$IB.20608@attbi_s04...
Is it bad for their legs? I've heard it was because their bones are soft
and not meant to support the weight of their body. Not sure if it's just

an
old wives' tale. DD loves it, but we don't do it too much because we're

not
sure if it's a problem. Is there any good source on this? I'd do it more
often if I knew it was okay. Might have to ask the ped in a couple weeks.

I hope not. #2 was pulling to stand before then. She loved it and has very
strong legs-she's "finger" walking at 7 months.
#1 was pulling to stand at 3 months and I was concerned because she had to
have a u/s to see if she had clicky hips. She didn't walk for another year
though.
Debbie

Old June 1st 04, 05:34 PM
H Schinske

toypup wrote in message
newsKSuc.25437$IB.20608@attbi_s04...
Is it bad for their legs? I've heard it was because their bones are soft
and not meant to support the weight of their body. Not sure if it's just

an
old wives' tale.

All of my kids have been jumping up and down on my lap practically from birth.
I'm always surprised that the baby books put the milestone for standing
supported so late. I expect it's one of those things where babies differ a good
deal, and other babies may just dangle and grin when you hold them up so young.

Keep in mind that you're still doing most of the weight-bearing (I had very
buff forearms when my kids were at this stage), and anyway they don't weigh
very much, so it can't be a whole lot of pressure.

--Helen
Old June 2nd 04, 02:26 AM
Bruce Bridgman and Jeanne Yang

"toypup" wrote in message
newsKSuc.25437$IB.20608@attbi_s04...
Is it bad for their legs? I've heard it was because their bones are soft
and not meant to support the weight of their body. Not sure if it's just

an
old wives' tale. DD loves it, but we don't do it too much because we're

not
sure if it's a problem. Is there any good source on this? I'd do it more
often if I knew it was okay. Might have to ask the ped in a couple weeks.

Old Chinese wives' tale from what I know. My mom has said this through
seven grandchildren and none are bow-legged. All (except for the two babies
who are now beginning to walk) stand tall.

Jeanne