She did everything right-- Scary Post

Old February 14th 05, 12:04 PM
animzmirot

Default She did everything right-- Scary Post

Late this afternoon, after working for hours and hours on a big project for
school, DD wanted to go to our local pizza place for a couple of slices.
This isn't an unusual occurance, in fact she's a regular there as it's on
her way home from the school bus. The pizza place is all of two blocks from
our house, and is on a major street that leads right into the city. As she
walked down this major street, a man in an SUV pulled up alongside her and
asked her if she wanted a ride. She stayed on the sidewalk and told him
"no". He stopped his truck and asked 2 more times, but she kept walking and
repeated "no".

Then she crossed the street and entered into the parking lot of the pizza
place. The guy swung into the small side street and entered the parking lot,
again asking her if she wanted a ride. Then he got out of his car and asked
her if she wanted a ride home. She responded "no" and went straight into the
pizza place. She waited for her slices, looking to see if he had left. He
drove off, and she grabbed her slices and left, running home.

When she got home, she told me what happened and we called the police. She
spoke to the police, and then they sent out a patrolman, who took her
statement. He called his sargent when he realized that DD had an incredibly
detailed description of the car and the driver. The only thing she didn't
get was the license number, but I attribute that to her LDs and her
reluctance to read anything. But she got the make of the car down to the bad
boy rims (like on an Escalade) and she described the guy with great detail.

Because she had such a good description, we were asked to come down to the
police station and work with the detective to make a composite portrait of
the guy. It took about a half hour, and she came up with a picture that she
said was pretty darn accurate, down to the freckles and his earring in one
ear.

I'm INCREDIBLY proud of DD, who did exactly what she's been taught for years
and years. I can't even begin to tell you all how relieved I am that she
knew what to do, did it without even thinking about it, and remained safe.
For all of you who hear all those stories about how kids are suckers for
abductors, now you know of one kid that didn't fall for a sharp car and a
cute young preditor. Even the police were really encouraging, telling her
what a great job she did.

This was a pretty scary evening and the entire thing took about 4 hours of
our time, but we're all fine, and we're going to remain fine.

Remember to lock your doors and turn on the alarm.

Marjorie

Old February 14th 05, 09:38 PM
illecebra

Old February 15th 05, 02:51 PM
Louise

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 06:04:23 EST, "animzmirot"
wrote:

I'm INCREDIBLY proud of DD, who did exactly what she's been taught for years
and years. I can't even begin to tell you all how relieved I am that she
knew what to do, did it without even thinking about it, and remained safe.

Wow, that's wonderful.

Will it be hard for you to let her go out for pizza next time?

Louise

Old February 15th 05, 10:16 PM
animzmirot

wrote:

I'm INCREDIBLY proud of DD, who did exactly what she's been taught for

years
and years. I can't even begin to tell you all how relieved I am that she
knew what to do, did it without even thinking about it, and remained

safe.

Wow, that's wonderful.

Will it be hard for you to let her go out for pizza next time?

No, I don't think so. We're a real "get back on the horse" kind of family,
and she knows that this was a very unusual occurrance and probably don't
ever happen again (hopefully). She walked over to Whole Foods yesterday
afternoon to get an Orangina, as the child is addicted to the stuff. But
she's not ever going to go out once it gets dark and she'll be doing all her
shopping well before twilight now. When she left for the pizza shop, it was
just starting to get dark, and she got back in twilight, but we're moving
that up to not going out anywhere near dark anymore. Just too scary.

Louise

alt.parenting.spanking FAQ Chris Spanking 2 March 18th 04 05:12 AM
Kids should work... bobb General 108 December 15th 03 04:23 PM
MONEY IS NOT just FOR CHRISTMAS!!!! Rebecca Richmond Twins & Triplets 0 December 13th 03 10:08 PM
Postal Lottery: Turn $6 into $60,000 in 90 days, GUARANTEED Louis Twins & Triplets 0 September 30th 03 07:39 AM
Money money money... russell barr General 0 August 1st 03 01:23 PM