That dental surgery didn't exactly go as I had thought...

Old January 7th 09, 04:41 AM posted to misc.kids
Kat

Default That dental surgery didn't exactly go as I had thought...

I'm a little disappointed at this time, and I think I'm just venting more
than anything...

DD1 had her appointment with the pediatric oral surgeon this morning. Just
as a reminder, last month she wiped out real good on the side walk and
smashed her teeth right out of her head. Both of her 2 front teeth were
damaged... One was broken almost in half, the other was broken a fair bit on
the bottom. It was a Saturday so I had rushed her to the emergency dental
clinic in the city. The dentist there ended up just 'sealing' her one tooth
that was cracked right in half. Apparently she had an exposed nerve with
that tooth and he sealed it. Not a proper fix, but a temporary one until it
could be fixed properly. We were given a referral for the pediatric dental
place. Her surgery was this morning. It was originally set for 9am, which
I figured was perfect. She had to fast - no food or drink - from midnight
on (I wasn't keeping a 3 year old up until almost midnight to feed her, so
she had supper and a little snack right before bed yesterday) Then I got a
call the other day saying they'd moved it up to 1030, but they said to be
there for 10, which was not a good time... I guess I just dealt with it. I
wasn't sure how I would either tell a 2 year old she can't have breakfast
because the 3 year old can't eat or how do you tell a 3 year old she can't
eat while the 2 year old is sitting down for breakfast?
So my mom came around 9 to stay wtih DD2 and I left with DD1 a bit early for
her appointment. DD2 got to have her breakfast right after we left lol
We got there probably around 10ish, and I thought we made good time and did
whatever we needed to do - which was basically sign a consent form and read
through one page of care and what to expect and all that. 1030 then rolled
around. Then it was 11. At this point, I had missed breakfast as well
because I wasn't about to sit and shove my face with food when she wasn't
able to, and I'm really starting to feel not so great. I then asked if
there was a holdup or something as now we're half an hour past when we were
told the appointment was. That's when I was told that the appointment
wasn't until 11 anyways, even though I had been told it was 1030...
So, we just sat and sat and watched about 4 other kids go in.

Finally, around 1130, she gets in... This was after I had gone up again to
talk to the receptionist. They finally bring us in to put DD1 to sleep,
which they do very, very slowly. It takes about 2 mins of the gas before
they're out. She did very, very well with that. She went to sleep very
slowly, which I was told is a good thing, most of the time. I was told that
the kids that usually take longer to pass out are often the ones that wake
up a lot better and recover a lot faster and better. The guy gassing her
explained everything and was great about answering the few questions I had -
mostly if they keep gassing her or keep giving her something through IV or
similar to make sure she stays sleeping until it's all over and whatever
else, and apparently they knock the kids out, put in an IV and a tube down
their throat for breathing and I believe to keep the kids sleeping with I'm
not sure if it's the tube or the IV.
So anyways, she went under very, very well. Total time she was with the
oral surgeon was about half an hour, although I was originally told it would
take around an hour. Originally at her checkup with the surgeon, she told
me what she needed to do was, I believe, cap both of her front teeth and do
a small amount of work on her molars. I had specifically asked if her one
tooth (the one broken almost in half) would be fixed and capped so that she
has a full tooth. I was told that's what she was going to do - make both
her teeth full again. I had asked specifically because of DD1's speech
problems that we're trying to deal with and I didn't want even more problems
on top of the current problems if possible. I figured with no front teeth
at all, it would make it even more of a challenge with her speech as she
does have some speech problems because of her teeth (or that's what I was
told, anyways)
Well, that didn't happen. Apparently she had an infection in the very
broken tooth and as it turned out that tooth was pulled right out. I also
specifically asked how that happened, and if that could have been prevented
if it was done sooner and the nurse hesitantly told me there was no
infection when she was checked out but one came up and this wouldn't have
been a matter of yanking the teeth if it was fixed properly. Sure, I was
upset about that - and still kind of am - but what can you do. There's no
point in crying over something that can't be prevented. It still does upset
me. Not only the tooth is gone, but it looks absolutely horrible now, even
though I do fully understand that what they did was necessary and couldn't
be avoided. Don't get me wrong on that, I do understand, I just find it a
bit hard to swallow.
The surgeon then did something with her molars. Apparently they have deep
grooves or something in them - which I was told isn't uncommon and can
happen with any person - so they painted some stuff on it, I think, to fill
the grooves a little to try and prevent decay with those big grooves - or
whatever they're called - that are in her teeth naturally. Just to try and
help prevent cavities.
The surgeon also told me that they had taken an "impression" I was then
instructed to make an appointment in 4-6 weeks for an 'appliance' and
they're going to try and get her a fake tooth put in. I'm not sure why they
can't or won't do a permanent one, or semi permanant, but I don't know.
I'll wait and see how that goes. And they told me that it would basically
be identical to her tooth before she broke it and they had to pull it out.
Awesome timing too for that! I'll have a newborn in 4-6 weeks, and that's
going to be so much fun, I'm sure. I have exactly one calendar month left
to go as of tomorrow. So that could be fun, but as fun as it might not be,
at least I hope with this it will be the end of it.

So, it didn't exactly go as I had thought, hoped and planned. She took to
the general very, very well. She woke up from it extremely well. I had to
kind of fight with her to wake up after, and it did take her a bit longer
than average, but she did wake up eventually and she was fine. Not
confused, disoriented, crying, screaming, thrashing, throwing up or anything
like that. She just sort of slowly woke up and came to and just kind of sat
in my arms for a bit. I did tickle her a little to get her waking up, which
helped, and then I did get a little mean - the nurse gave me a cool, wet
paper towel and at first the nurse was kind of rubbing her face with it and
then gave it to me - and I got a little mean by putting it on her bare skin
on her back, stomach, neck and other places that don't normally like being
cold
She was kind of zoning out in the van on the way home, and I looked in my
mirror to see she was almost struggling to stay awake (as we were going home
a little before the time she normally naps in the afternoon and she did just
get knocked out for dental work) but she didn't actually fall asleep. I
stopped at Subway on my way home for food for me to eat as I was starving
and also for something for her to drink, so I got her a 7-up when they
didn't have ginger ale. She wouldn't walk from the office to the van, or
into Subway or back, but she did walk from the van to the house when we got
home and walked to the couch and layed down watching TV, without sleeping,
for an hour or two. Then she was back to her regular self, it seemed. I
couldn't keep her sitting or resting like they told me to do, but she has
had no issues at all. Not sick, dizzy, complaining of pain or anything. I
did give her a dose of Tylenol about 10 mins ago in bed, just in case, and
she's been fine. A little pale in the face - or maybe even quite pale - but
other than that, nothing. She had supper as usual and was fine, thankfully.
I'll check on her once I hear those girls are quiet and sleeping, then check
on her when I go up to have a shower before bed and will most likely move
her into my bed for the night, just to be on the safe side... But checking
on her periodically should be just fine as she seems just fine. I figure it
can't hurt to toss her in bed with me just so I can kind of keep an ear out
for her at night as there's no way I can really hear for much when she's in
her room. And when I told my mom about that part, my mom said that it might
be a good idea... And this is from the woman who says kids need their own
beds, and wasn't too impressed when I had babies sleeping in bed with me
forever LOL

Affordable Dental Care for Individuals and Families! Quality Affordable Dental Care with 3 Additional Months FREE! Dental Plans from $79.95 per year! advisorsunset Spanking 0 April 19th 06 05:39 PM
thrush / surgery Dagny Breastfeeding 4 April 19th 06 04:33 PM
Quality, affordable discount dental plans for you & your family! Save %10 to %60 on Dental Care! advisorsunset Breastfeeding 0 March 28th 06 07:41 AM
Quality, affordable discount dental plans for you & your family! Save %10 to %60 on Dental Care! advisorsunset General 0 March 28th 06 07:36 AM
Quality, affordable discount dental plans for you & your family! Save %10 to %60 on Dental Care! advisorsunset Kids Health 0 March 26th 06 01:49 AM