Packing a bag today...

Old April 21st 04, 07:26 PM
Jill

Default Packing a bag today...

I am packing my bag for the hospital today. It's hard to pack because I am
in week 36, and this bag will probably sit here for 5 weeks. I keep thinking
I will want something that I am packing away. Also I don't want to haul a
bunch of stuff to the hospital- I've been reading bag packing tips both here
and in books/magazines/websites. I'm still not sure how many pairs of
maternity undies to pack- I only own 8-10 pairs. If I pack 3 I'll have to
make it on 5-7 here, which means I'll be washing more often. I take 2
showers a day so I go through 2 pairs a day. TMI?

Anyway here is what I plan to pack.

1 Outfit to wear home- just sweats and a tee shirt of DH's, and a pair of
sneakers and underwear (panties and nursing camisole). I'll be frumpy but
comfortable. And only thinking about my new baby, not what I look like! I'm
not vain.

2 more pairs of maternity underwear.

Bag of maxipads.

1 knee-length Nightshirt (land's end sleep tee), dark purple. Not sure if I
will even need this? But dark purple so stains won't matter.

Eyeglasses, contact lens solution, deodorant, contact case, shampoo and
travel size Dove soap. Toothbrush and toothpaste.

I have the baby's bag packed with coming home outfit, a onesie, diapers,
blankets etc.

Disposable camera, digital camera with battery charger.

Also- 5-6 pairs of socks and flip flops for shower.

Can I make do with that? Or do I REALLY want to bring a walkman and
CD,pillow, snacks, book, bottled water etc? I guess I will stick in a few
snacks- mixed nuts and crackers and maybe a water bottle. and some change
for vending machines.

Have I left anything out that I will really want?

Old April 21st 04, 07:29 PM
Jill

I forgot to mention, I AM throwing in a blank, brand new journal and a pen.
I want to keep a detailed journal. I have been through pregnancy, with some
gaps within where I didn't feel like writing (but I also have my ng posts
and emails to help document). Some people don't feel like writing but I will
want to write unless I am absolutely incapacitated or don't have time. But
if I have any time to kill while waiting for the last stage of labor I will
be writing. As if you can't tell from my long-ass posts, I like to write,
lol.

Old April 21st 04, 07:54 PM
Auntie Bubbles

"Jill" wrote in message
news
I am packing my bag for the hospital today. It's hard to pack because I am
in week 36, and this bag will probably sit here for 5 weeks. I keep

thinking
I will want something that I am packing away. Also I don't want to haul a
bunch of stuff to the hospital- I've been reading bag packing tips both

here
and in books/magazines/websites. I'm still not sure how many pairs of
maternity undies to pack- I only own 8-10 pairs. If I pack 3 I'll have to
make it on 5-7 here, which means I'll be washing more often. I take 2
showers a day so I go through 2 pairs a day. TMI?

Hee hee, Jill, I've had my bag packed for almost 5 weeks also! I have the
same problems as you, including the undie shortage and two showers a day. I
figure I'll be a little smaller (not much) so I packed some of the undies I
was wearing a few months ago.

Anyway here is what I plan to pack.

1 Outfit to wear home- just sweats and a tee shirt of DH's, and a pair of
sneakers and underwear (panties and nursing camisole). I'll be frumpy but
comfortable. And only thinking about my new baby, not what I look like!

I'm
not vain.

About the same for me

2 more pairs of maternity underwear.

Bag of maxipads.

Not sure I need pads at the hospital, I think they provide them. Packed a
few anyway
Also breast pads.

1 knee-length Nightshirt (land's end sleep tee), dark purple. Not sure if

will even need this? But dark purple so stains won't matter.

I sleep in jammies with pants, bought two heavy cheap pairs of pants in dark
colors just for the hospital.

Eyeglasses, contact lens solution, deodorant, contact case, shampoo and
travel size Dove soap. Toothbrush and toothpaste.

Got about the same stuff, plus some old makeup just in case I feel like it
(blush especially, so I don't look dead in photos) and earplugs.

I have the baby's bag packed with coming home outfit, a onesie, diapers,
blankets etc.

Same here, we only have to drive 1/2 mile, though, so I don't think we'll
need diapers for the trip.

Disposable camera, digital camera with battery charger.

DH is in charge of cameras.

Also- 5-6 pairs of socks and flip flops for shower.

Got em.

Can I make do with that? Or do I REALLY want to bring a walkman and
CD,pillow, snacks, book, bottled water etc? I guess I will stick in a few
snacks- mixed nuts and crackers and maybe a water bottle. and some change
for vending machines.

Okay, here's where I went maybe overboard. I packed a separate bag with all
that stuff. It's for DH. I put a deck of cards in it also and all his
phone numbers and little treats that he likes. When we go into the
hospital, that's what we'll take with us, we'll leave the other bag in the
car. He can bring that one to me after the baby comes and I'm settled in my
room. He can then dump the "labor" bag in the car.

Have I left anything out that I will really want?

Your baby??? : )

Coming from the voice of NO experience, sounds like you're doing fine,
Jill!! Isn't it fun?

Cheers,
Alexis
EDD 4/19/04
Beanie #1 COME ON DOWN!!!!

Old April 21st 04, 08:36 PM
Irrational Number

Default Packing a bag today... (WARN: graphic desc.)

Auntie Bubbles wrote:

"Jill" wrote in message
news
I am packing my bag for the hospital today. [...]

I'm still not sure how many pairs of
maternity undies to pack- I only own 8-10 pairs. If I pack 3 I'll have to
make it on 5-7 here, which means I'll be washing more often. I take 2
showers a day so I go through 2 pairs a day. TMI?

Hee hee, Jill, I've had my bag packed for almost 5 weeks also! I have the
same problems as you, including the undie shortage and two showers a day. I
figure I'll be a little smaller (not much) so I packed some of the undies I
was wearing a few months ago.

You probably won't be too much smaller... Not anything
personal, but one of the things that I'd heard and in my
experience, you're so pumped up with IVs (assuming you
get them), plus the whole birth experience makes you swell,
that I was really not much smaller than before I had DS.

1 Outfit to wear home- just sweats and a tee shirt of DH's, and a pair of
sneakers and underwear (panties and nursing camisole). I'll be frumpy but
comfortable. And only thinking about my new baby, not what I look like!

I'm
not vain.

You may want to bring a pair of slip-on shoes. My
feet swelled to gargantuan sizes and I could not have
put on any of my shoes.

Bag of maxipads.

Not sure I need pads at the hospital, I think they provide them. Packed a
few anyway

The hospital I was at had the worst, most arcane,
antiquated, belt system for pads!!! I detested those
things. For the first time since 7th grade, I leaked
blood all over my legs and floor. Plus, I'd had a c-section,
so they put an extra pad around my belly to protect the
incision, but boy, was it a horror. By the third day, I'd
had enough, so I basically announced to them that I'd
use my own granny-lady heaviest-of-all-possible diaper-
like overnight pads, which worked very well.

Also breast pads.

Didn't use any in the hospital.

1 knee-length Nightshirt (land's end sleep tee), dark purple. Not sure if

will even need this? But dark purple so stains won't matter.

I sleep in jammies with pants, bought two heavy cheap pairs of pants in dark
colors just for the hospital.

I never used pants because of the incision, plus I was
in too much pain to manipulate limbs. I did, however,
wear my nursing pajamas that I got at the Motherhood
outlet. I was so happy to get out of the hospital gowns.

Eyeglasses, contact lens solution, deodorant, contact case, shampoo and
travel size Dove soap. Toothbrush and toothpaste.

Got about the same stuff, plus some old makeup just in case I feel like it
(blush especially, so I don't look dead in photos) and earplugs.

I understand wanting makeup to look good, but I
never use makeup and I have to say I looked
glorious in my first pictures! DH says the only
time I looked as happy was at my wedding (I had
to tell him I _felt_ happier than at my wedding!).

I have the baby's bag packed with coming home outfit, a onesie, diapers,
blankets etc.

Same here, we only have to drive 1/2 mile, though, so I don't think we'll
need diapers for the trip.

The hospital will provide diapers for the baby. We did
put him in a onesie and a blanket given to us by family.

Disposable camera, digital camera with battery charger.

DH is in charge of cameras.

Heh heh... We had SIX cameras! Plus a laptop to
immediately email pictures to friends...

Can I make do with that? Or do I REALLY want to bring a walkman and
CD,pillow, snacks, book, bottled water etc? I guess I will stick in a few
snacks- mixed nuts and crackers and maybe a water bottle. and some change
for vending machines.

Okay, here's where I went maybe overboard. I packed a separate bag with all
that stuff. It's for DH. I put a deck of cards in it also and all his
phone numbers and little treats that he likes. When we go into the
hospital, that's what we'll take with us, we'll leave the other bag in the
car. He can bring that one to me after the baby comes and I'm settled in my
room. He can then dump the "labor" bag in the car.

We never used our CD player. However, we did go overboard
and bring about five to six bags. Our hospital room was so
filled with stuff, we couldn't walk.

DH forgot to bring the phone list, though!

Have fun!

-- Anita --

Old April 21st 04, 08:38 PM
New York Jen

"Jill" wrote in message
news
[...]

Sounds like you've got everything covered...at the end here, I'd only
recommend bringing your own pillow. Hospital pillows are notoriously
uncomfortable and it's nice to have your own. I didn't have it with Laszlo
but I remembered with Lily and it made a huge difference while trying to get
comfy on those awful beds!

Good luck! And you never know, it might be less than 5 weeks!

- Jen

Old April 21st 04, 08:43 PM
Nic H

I don't have anything to add or take away from your bag packing ;-) Just
wanted to say, must be exciting! You're nearing the end... I have ages
to go!

Nic
EDD 23 AUG 04

Old April 21st 04, 09:00 PM
Sophie

I'm still not sure how many pairs of
maternity undies to pack- I only own 8-10 pairs. If I pack 3 I'll have to
make it on 5-7 here, which means I'll be washing more often. I take 2
showers a day so I go through 2 pairs a day. TMI?

I didn't wear my undies in the hospital. My hospitals have these net things
and I just used those. Why get blood on your own stuff?

1 Outfit to wear home- just sweats and a tee shirt of DH's, and a pair of
sneakers and underwear (panties and nursing camisole). I'll be frumpy but
comfortable. And only thinking about my new baby, not what I look like!

I'm
not vain.

I wear home what I wore to the hospital. It's not like I lost the 40 or so
lbs already - lol.

2 more pairs of maternity underwear.

See above comment.

Bag of maxipads.

I didn't take any. Hospital supplied them and gave me the open bag to take
home.

1 knee-length Nightshirt (land's end sleep tee), dark purple. Not sure if

will even need this? But dark purple so stains won't matter.

I jsut wore the hospital's gowns - again - blood.

Eyeglasses, contact lens solution, deodorant, contact case, shampoo and
travel size Dove soap. Toothbrush and toothpaste.

Yep, whatever toiletries you want.

I have the baby's bag packed with coming home outfit, a onesie, diapers,
blankets etc.

We just took an outfit . Diapers were supplied.

Disposable camera, digital camera with battery charger.

Yep.

Also- 5-6 pairs of socks and flip flops for shower.

I took lots of socks, as well as slippers (for walking the halls), didn't
bother with shower shoes.

Can I make do with that? Or do I REALLY want to bring a walkman and
CD,pillow, snacks, book, bottled water etc? I guess I will stick in a few
snacks- mixed nuts and crackers and maybe a water bottle. and some change
for vending machines.

I did take magazines, Life Savers, birth announcements to fill out. That
was it. We live close enough to the hospital for my husband to come home
for something if I really needed it, and I'm there for 4 days.

Have I left anything out that I will really want?

Breast pads maybe. Never know when you'll start leaking (if you're not
already).

Old April 21st 04, 09:11 PM
Cam & Shane

Hi Jill

We were given a list at our antenatal class last night - made up by
experienced mothers...

* Cash - especially coins for parking, vending machines, phones
* Chap stick/ Lip balm
* Babies car seat
* Togs for partner - he may want to join you in the shower
* Hair ties
* Family photo or picture of something special - can be a nice focal point
in labour (maybe your cat)
* Hand cream - the air conditioning can make for a dry atmosphere in
hospital
* Vaseline - some people find this useful to put on baby's bottom before
they pass their first bowel motion as the meconium is very sticky and can be
hard to clean
* Shavers for DH as he if he gets the five o'clock shadow he may want to
shave for the first photos

You have covered everything else on the list.

I have finally started my bag too. I am starting to get a little
apprehensive now.....

Good luck to us :-)

Cam

---

Old April 21st 04, 09:43 PM
Anne Rogers

I am packing my bag for the hospital today. It's hard to pack because I am
in week 36, and this bag will probably sit here for 5 weeks. I keep thinking
I will want something that I am packing away. Also I don't want to haul a
bunch of stuff to the hospital- I've been reading bag packing tips both here
and in books/magazines/websites. I'm still not sure how many pairs of
maternity undies to pack- I only own 8-10 pairs. If I pack 3 I'll have to
make it on 5-7 here, which means I'll be washing more often. I take 2
showers a day so I go through 2 pairs a day. TMI?

I suggest you put the minimum in your bag, your dh will have to go home at
night, so he can bring stuff back the next day. Also, you rarely have to
leave in 2 seconds flat, so you could put a list on top of the bag, with
locations in case your dh has to find things.
Old April 21st 04, 09:47 PM
Sophie

"Anne Rogers"
I suggest you put the minimum in your bag, your dh will have to go home at
night, so he can bring stuff back the next day. Also, you rarely have to
leave in 2 seconds flat, so you could put a list on top of the bag, with
locations in case your dh has to find things.

My husband spent every night at the hospital with me, with all 3 babies.

is today the day? R.Sitter Pregnancy 8 March 16th 04 11:07 PM
Drat-- panic attack possible today. Jill Pregnancy 6 February 29th 04 02:45 AM
due today!!! Shannon Pregnancy 1 September 15th 03 12:24 PM
First Ultrasound Today. I'm nervous! Carol Ann Pregnancy 12 August 23rd 03 03:37 PM
40 weeks today Alicia Elliott Pregnancy 7 August 9th 03 11:49 PM