Placenta attachment causing bleeding (?) vs. Blighted Ovum... Questions (m/c ment.)

Old May 21st 04, 05:35 PM
Melody

Default Placenta attachment causing bleeding (?) vs. Blighted Ovum... Questions (m/c ment.)

"Marion Boulden" wrote in message

Last week you would have been about 4 weeks pregnant right? Right about

the
time you would have had your period had you not been pregnant?

Between 4 and 5 weeks (I say closer to 5).

Spotting around
AF time early in pregnancy is quite common... your hCG #'s look great and

they
are still going up (you don't double every 48 hours for the whole

pregnancy,
just the early stages). Wait and see what's what when you have your

ultrasound.

Thank you! I think a lot of the reason I'm so scared about this is that I
was soooo sick with my first pregnancy, this time I'm barely nauseous. The
breast tenderness has decreased some as well but I can't remember when that
happens nautrally...

Thanks again ladies, to all of you!

Melody

Old May 21st 04, 05:54 PM
Mary W.

Melody wrote:

"Mary W." wrote in message
link.net...
Yes, I've heard of something like this. I think a fair number of women
have unexplained spotting. One thing you might want to check is your
progesterone level and go on supplements if its low.

What will that tell me? What should they be? Thank you.

I think progesterone levels lower than 10 is worrisome (maybe
someone can chime in here). For my miscarriage, my level
was 5. For DD, when I had it checked early it was 20 (I think).
And I think low progesterone can cause spotting. Its just something
that, in hindsight, I wish I had done.

My hCG levels were rising quite slowly, but rising. We had serial
ultrasounds, and confirmed a nonviable pregnancy at 8.5 weeks (I think).
At that point my levels had started to drop. We never saw a fetal pole
or the heartbeat.

Did you have a u/s at all before that? I'm so sorry for your loss :-(

Thanks. We had multiple ultrasounds. Our first was early (6 weeks?)
for dating (I knew when I ovulated but my LMP date put me much
farther along - late ovulation, so they wanted to check). That ultrasound
dated the pregnancy at more like 5 weeks, so it was off with both my
LMP and my ovulation date. That's when they started checking HCG
and had me come back for a couple more ultrasounds. The sac got a little
bigger, but not as much as it should have and no fetal pole was ever seen.

I'm trying to determine if there comes a point where I'm "safe".

If you see a heartbeat on early ultrasound that is a *very* good
sign. Its not 100%, but it really improves your odds.

I'm sorry you are having this stress- it kind of takes alot of
the joy out of the pregnancy. So you know, with my daughter
we did do an early ultrasound (7w4d) and everything was
perfect (heart beat, embryo size). That eased my mind,
but I still had worries that I wouldn't have had, without the miscarriage.

My current pregnancy, I skipped all the hCG levels, and the
early ultrasound and just trusted that everything was OK, and
it has been (I'm 30 weeks). I've enjoyed this pregnancy alot
more.

Best of luck,

Mary

Old May 21st 04, 07:37 PM
Ilse Witch

On Fri, 21 May 2004 12:54:03 -0400, Mary W. wrote:

What will that tell me? What should they be? Thank you.

I think progesterone levels lower than 10 is worrisome (maybe
someone can chime in here).

Yes, you're right. Below 5 is generally accepted to be a non-viable
pregnancy, between 5 and 10 is dubious, and above 10 is normal for first
trimester. Although it is not a given that all women with progesterone
below 5 will miscarry, and all women above 10 will have a healthy baby, a
combination of low progesterone with slow rising hCG is definitely not
a good sign.

In most cases, the low progesterone is a consequence and not a cause for
miscarriage. How I understood it too work: the fertilized egg will produce
hCG as soon as it burrows into the uterine lining, which signals the
corpus luteum to stay alive and produce progesterone. Initially the hCG
production will double every 48h, but this slows down after a few weeks.
The progesterone signals the uterus not to shed the endometrium so the
embryo can safely develop and grow. However, when the embryo dies, or the
egg isn't succesfull for another reason, the hCG production will slow down
and eventually drop. Then the corpus luteum dies as well, progesterone
will drop, and just like when you get your period, your uterus will shed
the lining and you will miscarry.

The only women where progesterone supplementing is of any use, is women
with a deficiency in their corpus luteum. In their case the hCG is
produced normally and will show normal doubling times, but the corpus
luteum doesn't respond with producing enough progesterone to maintain the
pregnancy and they have a high risk to miscarry. It is not always possible
to tell if a woman has this condition, therefore many doctors will give
supplements in case of low progesterone anyway.

HTH.

--
-- I
mommy to DS (July '02)

Old May 21st 04, 07:47 PM
Ilse Witch

On Fri, 21 May 2004 12:32:14 -0400, Melody wrote:

I'm so sorry (((hugs))). I hope everything works out for you.

Thanks Melody. I'm doing pretty well, considering. One of the things that
made it obvious to me that it wasn't looking good were your posts. I could
compare my numbers to yours, and instantly see that I was nowhere near. It
helped a lot in coping with this one that I knew in advance.

Yeah, that's one thing I'm afraid of but my midwife is pretty insistant on
this date so I'm going to go ahead with it. We should, hopefully, at least
be able to see *something*.

With current u/s technology they can do remarkable things. I hope you will
see all you are looking for and then be able to give yourself a break.

Thank you, I will definitely try this. May have to let DH try it too,
hehe...

Thanks again, your help & support has been amazing.

You're more than welcome. It makes me feel a lot better to know that my
experiences can at least be a good thing in some way.

Doing this exercise together is actually a great idea, I'll suggest that
to my DH next time around. If your DH is also very anxious, it may help if
you both talk about your worries, especially in combination with reading
some good books on pregnancy. Worrying in pregnancy is a perfectly normal
thing, but you don't want it to take away all the joy that comes with
expecting a baby.