Survey: First tooth and BF (for Annie)

Old July 28th 03, 08:40 AM
andrea

Default Survey: First tooth and BF (for Annie)

"Spanannie" wrote in message
certainly wouldn't be enough for me to give up bf....I always want to

laugh
when people tell me "I had to give up bf because my little one cut teeth
early...."

Annie
Proud mom to "I have 10 teeth now" Zach, born 6.19.02

Well that's great for you. I however had no idea what to do when my babies
bit me. I didn't just give up I quit when I couldn't cope any longer. I
would shout but the baby would just look up at me, and giggle, thinking it
was a game.
I don't know why you would want to laugh, I didn't want to give up
breastfeeding, but was alone at the time, as well as having nobody for
breastfeeding support. I had alread initiated breastfeeding without any help
at the age of 18, got myself through thrush/mastitis, but the teeth thing
was damn hard, as I also had Post-natal depression and no family/partner at
all.
I gave up feeding when the babies were between 10-12 months old, as I have
late teethers. Also my boobs shrunk down from a Dcup, to a B. I thought this
was my own body telling me it was time to stop. Who was gonna tell me
differently? Among friends I was strange - the only one breastfeeding. I
always embarrased them when I breastfed in public places, even though I did
it disceetly.

I will however try harder this time, I now have a great husband and things
are much better for me now.

So please before you laugh, we aren't all just quitters at the first wince
of pain.Sometimes the story is a little more complicated.
--
Andrea mom of -
Peter 7, Ellie 5, Alden 3, Joseph 21 mths & little munchie man Kamron 7

Old July 28th 03, 02:21 PM
Spanannie

I'm sorry you had a rough time; I did not mean to offend.

DS giggles when I shout too. Luckily, I don't get bit often.

Well that's great for you. I however had no idea what to do when my babies
bit me. I didn't just give up I quit when I couldn't cope any longer. I
would shout but the baby would just look up at me, and giggle, thinking it
was a game.

My rationale for my OP in my head is that it was SO painful the first five
days of bf, that I don't know how biting could compare (IME)...I feel that
if I didn't give up over horribly bloody, purple, painful nipples the first
week, then I can endure biting. Maybe my DS doesn't bite as hard as some
others. I guess it's just YMMV.

I don't know why you would want to laugh, I didn't want to give up
breastfeeding, but was alone at the time, as well as having nobody for
breastfeeding support. I had alread initiated breastfeeding without any

help
at the age of 18, got myself through thrush/mastitis, but the teeth thing
was damn hard, as I also had Post-natal depression and no family/partner

at
all.

10-12 mos is great, especially considering your circumstances---you should
be proud of yourself!

Old July 28th 03, 02:24 PM
Spanannie

Like I just replied to Andrea, my feeling was that if I could make it
through purple, bloody, painful nipples in the first 5 days postpartum and
still bf, then I could bf through biting. IME, nothing could be worse than
what I endured the first 5 days.

Annie

"Marie" wrote in message
On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 07:40:56 GMT, "andrea"
wrote:
[...]

I guess for some women the biting isn't so bad so they must not
understand.
If my second daughter had bitten me for much longer I'd have quit.
That was a two day spell. My third daughter had a really bad day,
night before and next morning, a few months ago. And she still
occasionally bites, leaving a nice dotted line around my nipples lol
Biting induces extreme fear of nursing again, it forces me to
involuntarily yell out, scaring the baby. If the biting lasts long
enough the anxiety in a mother is not a good thing. I called LLL
crying my head off the night of my third daughter's spell, I was
terrified to feed her anymore, it was hurting us both because the baby
would cry as soon as she bit me, like she knew it was upsetting me
also (she'd cry before I could even react!) It just made it worse for
me that it upset her also.
Bottom line...biting affects everyone differently.
Marie

Old July 28th 03, 05:14 PM
andrea

"Spanannie" wrote in message
I'm sorry you had a rough time; I did not mean to offend.

No problem. Thank god this didn't turn into one of those slanging match

threads!

10-12 mos is great, especially considering your circumstances---you should
be proud of yourself!

Thanks. I thought 10-12 months was a long time until I came into this
newsgroup.All these ladies who can/have breastfed for yrs have made me
think.
Now i'm going to set my nursing sights a little higher, to see if Kamron and
I can keep the breastfeeding relationship going longer this time.

I have learnt so much here and this is the 5th baby I have breastfed.
It seems that the UK is a little backwards with breastfeeding in comparison
to the US/Canada.

--
Andrea mom of -
Peter 7, Ellie 5, Alden 3, Joseph 21 mths & little munchie man Kamron 7
weeks weighing 13lbs 5
Married to David since 2000.

Old July 28th 03, 05:31 PM
Spanannie

You did great with 10-12 mos. I always felt proud of my mom for bf me for
11 mos & I'm sure yours will too.

I had said I wouldn't go past 12 mos. I recently passed the 12 mo mark and
can't give it up. I think DS wouldn't mind giving it up at this point, but
it's me that's so attached to it, so that's why I'm still going. I'm
worried that the end may be in sight for us, though, since the past few
days, he takes a sip and then wants nothing to do with it (except at the
before bed nursing). I'm so engorged right now, since he's decided that he
has better things to do. This could be a phase, though---you never can
tell.

Keep up the good work!
Take care,
Annie
mom to the napping angel, Zach, born 6.19.02

Old July 28th 03, 05:46 PM
Marie

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 16:14:43 GMT, "andrea"
wrote:

Thanks. I thought 10-12 months was a long time until I came into this
newsgroup.All these ladies who can/have breastfed for yrs have made me
think.
Now i'm going to set my nursing sights a little higher, to see if Kamron and
I can keep the breastfeeding relationship going longer this time.

I have learnt so much here and this is the 5th baby I have breastfed.
It seems that the UK is a little backwards with breastfeeding in comparison
to the US/Canada.

When/if Kamron starts biting or you notice teething, try giving him
ice cubes in a washcloth to chew on. That really helped my youngest
daughter, I'd give it to her before she nursed to kind of help numb
her gums and relieve the teething pain.
It really is hard to keep doing it after all the nipple abuse! I was a
mess during those times.
Marie