Laxatives

Old July 24th 08, 12:25 AM posted to misc.kids
Dad[_2_]

Default Laxatives

A while ago there was a thread about some laxatives for kids;
non-habit forming and non-addictive. It is available OTC.
I can't find that. I tried Benefiber chew able tablets,
they seem to give him a bloated tummy. This is for a 6yr old.
Old July 24th 08, 02:19 AM posted to misc.kids
Banty

In article L5Phk.128774$gc5.62542@pd7urf2no, Dad says...

A while ago there was a thread about some laxatives for kids;
non-habit forming and non-addictive. It is available OTC.
I can't find that. I tried Benefiber chew able tablets,
they seem to give him a bloated tummy. This is for a 6yr old.

High fiber foods like bran muffins, figs, most other dried fruits.

Banty

Old July 24th 08, 03:16 AM posted to misc.kids
JennP.[_2_]

On 23 Jul 2008 18:19:32 -0700, Banty wrote:

In article L5Phk.128774$gc5.62542@pd7urf2no, Dad says...

A while ago there was a thread about some laxatives for kids;
non-habit forming and non-addictive. It is available OTC.
I can't find that. I tried Benefiber chew able tablets,
they seem to give him a bloated tummy. This is for a 6yr old.

High fiber foods like bran muffins, figs, most other dried fruits.

Banty

Also, plenty of water, fresh fruits and veggies. If the problem is
caused by the 6yo not eating fruits and veggies, I'd definitly
reccomend the dried fruit.

JennP.
Old July 24th 08, 03:32 AM posted to misc.kids
Tai[_2_]

JennP. wrote:
On 23 Jul 2008 18:19:32 -0700, Banty wrote:

In article L5Phk.128774$gc5.62542@pd7urf2no, Dad says...

A while ago there was a thread about some laxatives for kids;
non-habit forming and non-addictive. It is available OTC.
I can't find that. I tried Benefiber chew able tablets,
they seem to give him a bloated tummy. This is for a 6yr old.

High fiber foods like bran muffins, figs, most other dried fruits.

Banty

Also, plenty of water, fresh fruits and veggies. If the problem is
caused by the 6yo not eating fruits and veggies, I'd definitly
reccomend the dried fruit.

Yep. A little cardboard box of sultanas (raisins) or mixed dried fruit and
nuts eaten each day might be a good start to get things moving. I'd up the
water intake as well because sometimes children that age get by on a few
mouthfuls of liquid a day, become dehydrated and the moisture gets drawn out
of their stools.

Old July 24th 08, 04:12 AM posted to misc.kids
MarieD[_2_]

"Dad" wrote in message
A while ago there was a thread about some laxatives for kids;
non-habit forming and non-addictive. It is available OTC.
I can't find that. I tried Benefiber chew able tablets,
they seem to give him a bloated tummy. This is for a 6yr old.

There is Senokot, which is easily found at most any drugstore in the US. I
don't know where you are.
Marie

Old July 24th 08, 05:35 AM posted to misc.kids
Jeff

Dad wrote:
A while ago there was a thread about some laxatives for kids;
non-habit forming and non-addictive. It is available OTC.
I can't find that. I tried Benefiber chew able tablets,
they seem to give him a bloated tummy. This is for a 6yr old.

Why does your kid need a laxative? What signs and symptoms does your son
have? How often does he poop? And his poop hard, dry, moist, etc.? Does
he have to push a lot?

Jeff
Old July 24th 08, 01:52 PM posted to misc.kids
dejablues[_4_]

"Dad" wrote in message
A while ago there was a thread about some laxatives for kids;
non-habit forming and non-addictive. It is available OTC.
I can't find that. I tried Benefiber chew able tablets,
they seem to give him a bloated tummy. This is for a 6yr old.

What does his pediatrician say?

Old July 24th 08, 07:02 PM posted to misc.kids
Nan

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 23:25:31 GMT, Dad wrote:

A while ago there was a thread about some laxatives for kids;
non-habit forming and non-addictive. It is available OTC.
I can't find that. I tried Benefiber chew able tablets,
they seem to give him a bloated tummy. This is for a 6yr old.

I wouldn't give a 6 year old a commercial laxative. You can buy dried
fruit in a mix with other dried fruits, or singly, such as raisins,
apricots or prunes.

Nan
Old July 24th 08, 07:57 PM posted to misc.kids
Shelley

"Tai" wrote in message
JennP. wrote:
[...]

My son has a problem with going as well. He's 6 you like the OP's child. I
know that increasing his fibre and water intake will help but he fights me
on some of these foods. I can get some extra fibre in him because he does
like fruits and such but what is the next best thing to water that might be
OK. I know water is best but I can only get him to drink so much. What
else might be OK for liquids. Also, what foods should he avoid (other than
the obvious junk food). Cheese? Anything else.

Also, my husband has suggested stool softeners on occasion. Would this be
OK?

--
Shelley
mom to 2 boys (6 and 3)

Old July 24th 08, 08:21 PM posted to misc.kids
Nan

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 15:57:44 -0300, "Shelley"
wrote:

My son has a problem with going as well. He's 6 you like the OP's child. I
know that increasing his fibre and water intake will help but he fights me
on some of these foods. I can get some extra fibre in him because he does
like fruits and such but what is the next best thing to water that might be
OK. I know water is best but I can only get him to drink so much. What
else might be OK for liquids. Also, what foods should he avoid (other than
the obvious junk food). Cheese? Anything else.

I would avoid bananas as well.

Also, my husband has suggested stool softeners on occasion. Would this be
OK?

Not in my opinion. Ask your pediatrician first, but there is a
product called Fiber Sure, from Metamucil. It is a powder that can be
mixed into just about *anything* and it is tasteless and odorless.
I've used it for myself regularly, and my whole family on occasion. I
can mix it into dinner and they don't even know ;-)
As I said, check with the doctor first before giving it to your son.

Nan