Crossed the one-year mark! (long)

Old March 9th 04, 12:38 PM
Belphoebe

Default Crossed the one-year mark! (long)

DS just turned one yesterday. I can hardly believe it's been a whole year
since this cute little person emerged from me. . . .

Long before I became pregnant, I knew that I wanted to breastfeed. As far
as I was concerned, this is how babies are fed. But also in my collection
of assumptions was the idea that babies are to be breastfed for one year.
This was before I did any research into breastfeeding, baby health, etc.
Once I became pregnant, I began to read up on bf (both here at mkb and
elsewhere). And I changed my tune about the "one year" thing.

Now that DS is a year old, I can't imagine stopping any time soon. He loves
to nurse, and does so frequently. He still nurses to sleep at night and for
his twice-daily naps. We co-sleep, and on a normal night, we'll nurse to
sleep, nurse 1-2 times before daylight, and just before rising. He's
recovering from a cold, so of course he was nursing more than "normal" for a
while (tiring for me, but I'm glad we had the bf to help him feel better).

We've been holding off on dairy, and just yesterday, DS had his first yogurt
(YoBaby). He loved it so much, he had two of them!

As for the non-bf stuff, he's a walking/running dynamo. His new nickname is
"Taz" (after the Warner Bros cartoon "Tazmanian Devil") because he's this
whirling ball of energy running laps around a room, picking up toys, putting
them down, knocking books off of his shelf, and generally making his parents
dizzy. :0)

Finally, I'd like again to thank mkb for helping us through the early days
of bf. I've posted before about how nervous the peds made us in the first
week when DS lost a *normal* amount of weight. I'm so glad that I scoured
to Google archives instead of simply letting these doctors make me feel like
a failure before my mature milk had even come in. Jerks. When DS was back
up to his birthweight at six days old, the ped told me the next step was to
relax. Oh, okay, after *you* made my stomach churn for days on end, I'm now
supposed to relax? Bitch. Anyway, thanks, again--you prevented another bf
relationship from being sabotaged before it had a chance to begin. A year
later, DS is a healthy, active ball of energy who has never had a drop of
formula in his life. As for how long we'll go--I'd like to let DS to decide
that.
--
Belphoebe

Old March 10th 04, 04:47 AM
Kerry D

"Belphoebe" wrote in message ...
[...]

Many, many congrats. Sounds like you've got a wonderful little guy
there. DD loves her YoBaby, too, which is good - I can't stand yogurt
and can't imagine that I'd make very good "yum" faces and noises while
trying to convince her it's a good thing to eat! 8)
Old March 11th 04, 12:33 AM
Belphoebe

Kerry D wrote:

Many, many congrats. Sounds like you've got a wonderful little guy
there. DD loves her YoBaby, too, which is good - I can't stand yogurt
and can't imagine that I'd make very good "yum" faces and noises while
trying to convince her it's a good thing to eat! 8)

Thanks, Kerry.

We're a bit worried now that DS may like the YoBaby a little *too* much.
This evening, after DH gave him his yogurt, he cried and fussed because it
was all gone, and he didn't want to have anything to do with the fruits and
veggies that he normally thinks are just fine. He settled down to bf, but
we're thinking we should look for plain whole-milk yogurt instead.
--
Belphoebe

Old March 11th 04, 03:25 AM
Nikki

Belphoebe wrote:
DS just turned one yesterday. I can hardly believe it's been a whole
year since this cute little person emerged from me. .

A big congrats on the breastfeeding. Well done!! He sounds like a
wonderful little boy :-)

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old March 12th 04, 01:01 AM
Belphoebe

Nikki wrote:
Belphoebe wrote:
DS just turned one yesterday. I can hardly believe it's been a whole
year since this cute little person emerged from me. .

A big congrats on the breastfeeding. Well done!! He sounds like a
wonderful little boy :-)

Thanks!

I agree, but I'm a little biased.
--
Belphoebe

Asthma Attacks! (and BF+medication questions) Very long Tina General 10 August 17th 06 01:10 AM
Why I bother posting to usenet... Todd Gastaldo Pregnancy 3 May 31st 04 05:36 AM
1 year mark! FayeC Breastfeeding 8 February 22nd 04 04:25 PM
annoyances near the one year mark Hillary Israeli Breastfeeding 2 October 2nd 03 03:01 PM
The year of the binder chiam margalit General 131 September 20th 03 12:53 PM